Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What should I taper first: diazepam or pregabalin?

[he...]

Hi, all.

I am currently on 100 mg of the antidepressant fluvoxamine, 200 mg of pregabalin, and 12.5 mg of diazepam, which, according to a doctor, fluvoxamine makes this dose equivalent to 35 mg.

Maybe it’s important to state that I am on diazepam since 2018 and on pregabalin since 2021. My worst symptoms are sensory overload and an exacerbated pre-existing OCD.

I am on a dilemma considering the time I am on each medication, the research saying pregabalin is "the death of new synapses", the tolerance on both drugs, being on such a high dose of diazepam in practice, the cuts of pregabalin feeling hard compared to the benzo (maybe I should do smaller cuts with this one), the scary stories of nerve damage in pregabalin communities. I also have the concern that pregabalin can hinder the healing from tapering off benzos.

Given that I don’t know any benzo-wise doctor where I live, your views and experiences would be much appreciated.

[Ca...]

I would be surprised if the SSRI made the valium the equivalent of almost three times the dose. Maybe the doctor means in his opinion it takes the valium longer to clear your system?

The Lyrica is a controlled substance also. 

Have you checked out the Benzo Information Coalition website. I believe they have a list of benzo wise doctors by state. Are you in the US?

I hate the polydrugging and it has happened to so many of us. I believe there is a way through this thicket for you.

Carol

• Like 1

[Cr...]

I agree with @[Ca...] as polly-drugging can make it difficult to know which meds are the root cause of certain negative symptoms.

That said, most people here tend to taper off their benzo first and wait awhile before tapering their anti-depressant.

I am not too familiar with pregabalin so I don't know if being on it will impede or benefit you during a taper. I will have to research a bit and get back to you.

While any med affecting the brain should be tapered and never abruptly stopped I am pretty sure that while it does have withdrawal, pregabalin is not as intense or drawn-out as benzo withdrawal can be.

Maybe speak with your doctor about your desire to come off pregabalin slowly.

[En...]
11 hours ago, [[h...] said:

Hi, all.

I am currently on 100 mg of the antidepressant fluvoxamine, 200 mg of pregabalin, and 12.5 mg of diazepam, which, according to a doctor, fluvoxamine makes this dose equivalent to 35 mg.

Maybe it’s important to state that I am on diazepam since 2018 and on pregabalin since 2021. My worst symptoms are sensory overload and an exacerbated pre-existing OCD.

I am on a dilemma considering the time I am on each medication, the research saying pregabalin is "the death of new synapses", the tolerance on both drugs, being on such a high dose of diazepam in practice, the cuts of pregabalin feeling hard compared to the benzo (maybe I should do smaller cuts with this one), the scary stories of nerve damage in pregabalin communities. I also have the concern that pregabalin can hinder the healing from tapering off benzos.

Given that I don’t know any benzo-wise doctor where I live, your views and experiences would be much appreciated.

I am poly drugged too. I have read to taper off the drug that is most dangerous to your health and gives you the worst symptoms. 

I am on clonazepam, prozac and nozinan which is an antipsychotic. I am tapering off the clonazepam first because it is the drug that was causing me the most issues and is very bad for your health. Then I will wean off the antipsychotic. I will stay on the prozac until I feel I no longer need it. 

It sucks to be poly drugged and makes this process longer. I know one day this will all be a bad experience and memory. I will be happy when this is all done.