Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Magnesium for muscle tension

[co...]

Taking magnesium has seemed to help with the dystonia/spasms. Anything else?

[Cr...]

Some people find relief by massaging the affected muscles. You may find magnesium more effective in the form of Epsom Salt baths. Other natural treatments that 'may' help are cbd oil, chamomile and lavender essential oils.

If you don't get enough relief you may find acetaminophen or ibuprophen may take the edge off for otc meds. For prescription meds you would have to look into muscle relaxers, although in withdrawal you may be more sensitive to medications and experience negative effects. Also muscle relaxers like Baclofen for example do interact with Gaba-B subtype receptors, not Gaba-A like benzos but many people are hesitant to take anything that has any actions on Gaba receptors.

[Le...]

i found when i tried melatonin with magnesium it messed me up. not sure which part did it but had that constant waking and headaches when try to sleep. 

prob the melatonin

• Like 1

[Cr...]

Melatonin also caused a paradoxical reaction in me. I was deep in a wave when i tried it though. Others swear by it.

Magnesium does have anxiolytic effects and some interaction with the Gaba receptors but there is no convincing study I have read that shows magnesium can down regulate gaba receptors or slow dowm recovery from benzo and alcohol use.

I took mag citrate throughout my recovery and still fully healed in under 1.5 years. I currently take magnesium glycinate and have never experienced any setbacks. There is magnesium in a lot of our food and it is essential for our body to function, benzos are not.

• Like 1
  • Love 1