Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Can Valium cause more depression than any other benzos???

I just want to know if it does and thats why ive been feeling depressed as ive got so low on my dosage now....i was never depressed to this extreme when i was on a higher dosage but now ive read that Valium may cause more depression than any other benzo....or do they all cause depression?? anybody with experience on this?

YES!  I Became SEVERELY depressed when I started crossing over to Valium from Ativan.  I did not have that depression on Ativan alone.  Valium made me have daily suicidal thoughts as well.

yea ive had some but doesnt mean im going to go do it either, even tho there very scary :'( but ive been on valium for awhile now so i have no idea if i should switch to Klonopin or to keep on with the valium  :-\, i really cant stand the depression ill take physical symptoms over depression anyday!

Hi there,

I crossed to Diazepam and have definitely noticed I've been more depressed on it.  I do find it comes and goes though...from 15mg to 11mg it was quite prevalent, and then it suddenly went away till about 4mg, then came back...although I think a big reason I have it more now is b/c of my s/x getting stronger - but I don't feel it daily, so that's good.  And I've heard SO many people say they have it w/ Valium/Diazepam so I just keep telling myself that's where it's coming from and it helps ease my mind a bit.

All the best to you...you are getting so close!!!

Take care,

Schatje

I was pretty depressed when I was on Klonopin, but Valium put me into a whole new league.  It didn't really hit me until about midway through my taper--it was a kind of depression I can only describe as nightmarish, almost surreal, and horrible.  

When I did the c/o from Klonopin last August, I welcomed the sedating qualities of Valium.  I was sleeping 8-10 hours a night in the very beginning.  It was the best sleep I'd had in years because Klonopin had stopped working a long time ago, but I didn't see the severe depression coming.  For me it peaked and was most consistent around the 10 mg. mark but has been thankfully improving ever since.  

Mal

PS  Just read your second message and I have to tell you that I was not able to come off Klonopin directly; the w/d was traumatizing for me but I was dry-cutting.  People have done it with a very slow taper.  I was able to get benzo-free tapering off Valium--as depressed as it sometimes made me.  If you feel you're in danger though, then I guess you really need to consider alternatives.

yea Schatje at 15 mg is when it started to really make me depressed, crazy thoughts ans a depression like ive never felt before...its not everyday but its most days now as before i wasnt depressed every other day it was once in a blue, i mean other than the depression i get some anxiety here n there and GI issues but the depression really scares the sh!t out of me sometimes idk wat to do if to keep on with the valium or try klonpin, which ive tried before but didnt really like it as it didnt make me sleep so much but ill take insomnia and physical symptoms over depression....it can really get scary sometimes  :-\

miss kim switched over to librium and said she is doing great.  You might want to send her a PM and ask her about it.

I juss did perserverance thanks....but doesnt librium come in capsules? so how would you break that down is wat im wondering.....

[83...]

Everyone is different, but in my experience being on Klonopin and Valium, they both cause depression.

Klonopin caused me depression just as much as Valium does sometimes. It's not a constant depression, but when it hits, it hits.

While I was on clonazepam I got hit with depression for the first time in my life. It was moderate, but it was there and now in retrospect I know it was the drug. When I got slammed with depression again in WD it was worse than anything I had ever imagined. Absolutely horrible. I'm glad it only lasted a couple of months. That was a really bad time for me.

I got depression when I was on K, Lor and Dia.  So I dont really think Valium is the only benzo to cause it.

[16...]

I will,

Librium's lowest dosage is 5mg.  It comes in capsules.  You could water titrate it.  Just a suggestion. 

I juss did perserverance thanks....but doesnt librium come in capsules? so how would you break that down is wat im wondering.....

Im not going to lie im gettin a lot of sleep, insomnia has never really been a problem while ive been drycutting (tried titration didnt work as i was getting alot of diff s/x everyday) today i woke up a lil depressed, but gradually went away....n its only in the morning as of now so im spacing out my dose instead of taking my 7 mg at once i took my 5mg at 7 am n i took my 2 mg at 10 hopefully thatll work.

Sigma- i kno wat u mean when it hits it hits! but i tell myself it will pass as its the valium but i dont get it usually the first couple days i cut i just get the physical symptoms then today being 4th day i cut, its been with the mental symptoms...which SUX!

Florida guy- I see you did a rapid taper was it cause of the depression? and how did you feel after that rapid taper? i mean if this depression keeps on im goin have to consider librium or doing a rapid taper

renee- i know what you mean they all bring depression but ive heard valiums depression is a lot more intense than any other benzo but u might be right....im going try to stick it out lk shajte said till 10 mg n hopefully it lifts and juss gets mild....

mylilcappi- i was thinking the same thing im going have to titrate it which i dont really like as i tried titrating valium and it sucked! there were no breaks from s/x at least when i dry cut i feel bad for lk 4 days then i stabilize and cant fully function for 3 days or so....but if the depression doesnt let up im going try something! thats for sure...hopefully it does though cuz i would like to just keep tapering all the way down with valium and get this over with and not experimenting wit other benzos

[83...]
Sigma- i kno wat u mean when it hits it hits! but i tell myself it will pass as its the valium but i dont get it usually the first couple days i cut i just get the physical symptoms then today being 4th day i cut, its been with the mental symptoms...which SUX!

I have the depression upon awakening as well, and it fades as the day goes.

Glad that the depression comes and goes for you, as it can be crippling.

Honestly, I may have to go on a a/d. I hate too, but I may have too.

(I'm not promoting it). Just my experience.

How did titration differ for you from dry cutting?

I am really against sticking any more poison in my body so i really dont wanna have to take an a/d but i know what you mean....but sigma it looks like ur cutting way too slow .5/month? lk you said when youve been taking the same dose for so long as i noticed when i cut this past week my depression was at an all time high then i cut n it lifted n now its just coming back in the mornings im going make weekly cuts of .5.....titration was different in the sense that i was getting a lot of physical symotoms everyday its like it didnt let up at all it just seemed to get worse everyday and by dry cuttin i might feel bad for 3-4 days but i know after that i have somewhat 3-4 days of feeling "normal" i guess you can say with the depression that comes and goes.....idk i prefer it like this to be honest but thats just me! could work for you.....

[83...]

Yes, after a cut, the depression lifts for a few days.. that's what it does to me.

I cut slowly because of seizures.

I tried cutting fast and it floored me.

I have a history of seizures.

Like you, I rather not take anymore meds, but damm, when the depression gets too bad.. for me..

I think about taking an a/d.

i was getting a lot of physical symotoms everyday its like it didnt let up at all it just seemed to get worse everyday

I understand that as well. I am holding at this dose of valium I'm on until the doc gives me 2mg and 5mg pills.

oh ok did not kno about ur history of seizures.....yea after a couple weeks the depression starts to get unbearable, but i have thought of a/d also but i dont wanna be stuck in this mess any longer than i have too, plus a/d are not a for sure thing i mean it can help but then when its time to come off that ur just going have rebound depression....this is all just so frustrating at times  >:(.....im just goin try stickin it out and try to ignore the depression and keep my mind busy when it does come....only thing i hate the valium makes you so damn lazy!  :laugh: cant wait to be off this junk!

[83...]

Yeah, it makes one lethargic, the valium.

You have tapered from 80mg, so you're doing good.

I started out on a equiv. of 80mg - 100mg

Sigma yesterday i had woke up depressed n i tried somethin today n it worked only felt a lil depressed for bout an hour or so....my morning dosage is 7 mg so i woke up today lk at 7am instead of taking my full 7mg i only took 5 waited lk 3 hours then took my 2 mg lk at 10am got a lil anxiety in between but beats feeling depressed all morning....you should try it see if it works? idk juss tryin to look out  :thumbsup:, i know how bad the depression can be

I was more depressed on Ativan. I noticed that since this cross over to Librium started, I am not depressed anymore. It seems that I don't have those crying episodes anymore either. I wonder if this is why my doctor chose to put me on Librium instead of Valium?

[16...]
I know everyone is different, but Librium seems to be the least depressing.  it was for me too kim.

Miss kim are u only taking Librium now?? cuz u said u were taking an a/d maybe thats y u dont feel depressed? I dont want any a/d at all, Im going  talk to my doctor about Librium see what he says i dont see him till august though  :-\....but if i do get on Librium can i just replace it over witout doing a crossover?? Im just scarred switch benzos and end up on a worst one and then tryin get back on valium would take me longer.....but if i keep gettin depressed im goin have to find another alternative lk librium

I am taking Doxepin 10mg, but it is such a low dose and I use it for the antihistamine because of my allergies. I was also using Doxepin while I was still on only Ativan and I was depressed. I only noticed a change when I started the Librium. I will be doing another cross over this weekend. Then I will only have 1.5mg of Ativan left to cross over from.  By the way, the dose of the antidepressant (Doxepin) that I take, I don't feel is hardly enough to make much of a difference as far as taking care of depression. Usually they start people on 50mg or more of that drug for depression. My system is sensitive and more than 10mg is too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I tried crossing over from Xanax to Valium and it gave me severe depression - much worse than any withdrawal depression from Xanax. And I know some others get depressed on Valium as well FWIW. So I dropped it and am doing a straight taper from Xanax. Too bad, because it does give relief from WD symptoms, at least the physical ones.

Hang in there.

:thumbsup: