Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Taper plan

[Mo...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

If you think it would be the best to reduce the bedtime dose first, then I'll do that.

I weighed correctly this time (I think)- 10 pills 0.515, 2 pills 0.100 and 1 pill 0.050.

I would love to start asap! Thanks again for all your time spent on this!

And I'm assuming I can get the 0.0001 scale on Amazon, but if not maybe you can tell me where you got yours.

Sounds like a great plan. I'll probably have more questions:giggle:.

[El...]
Posted (edited)

OK. I am still a little confused. If 10 pills weigh 0.515 grams, 1 pill should be in the vicinity of 0.0515 grams (rounded to 0.052 grams) and 2 pills on the vicinity of 0.103 grams. But you weighed 2 pills and got 0.100 grams and 1 pill weighing 0.050 grams. But since the average was 0.515, we need to go with that weight. I know it seems counterintuitive, but go with it! So every time you put 2 pills on the scale assume they weigh 0.103 grams and proceed from there. If you want to make a 0.001 grams reduction for your 1st cut, you should file 1 pill so that total weight of the 2 pills is 0.102 grams (0.103 - 0.001 = 0.102 grams). If your 2 pills initially weigh less than 0.103 grams, do not file a pill down. Just take the 2 pills as is. If the 2 pills weigh more than 0.103 grams, file down to 0.102 grams (regardless of the starting weight).

So tomorrow take 0.102 grams in the pm. Since you are not feeling well, I would stay at 0.102 grams for a few days. Here is a way you might think of it as you proceed:

1st reduction – take 0.102 grams = 0.97% reduction

2nd reduction – take 0.101 grams = 0.98% reduction (or an overall reduction of 1.94%)

3rd reduction – take 0.100 grams = 0.99% reduction (overall 2.91%)

4th reduction - take 0.099 grams = 1.00% reduction (overall 3.88%)

5th reduction – take 0.098 grams = 1.01% reduction (overall 4.85%)

6th reduction – take 0.097 grams = 1.02% reduction (overall 5.83%)

Etc.

Since these are pretty hefty reductions, if it were me, I would probably only, at most, make 2 or 3 reductions in a row (after you hold a couple of days after the first reduction). Then after 2 or 3 more reductions, hold for 2-4 days again and assess how you are feeling. You can always proceed to another reduction or hold longer if you need to. You really don’t want your overall reduction to be greater than 5%-10% every 2-4 weeks. Just let your symptoms guide you. There is no rush. If you aim is to experience as little or few symptoms to be as possible, start slowly. You can always go faster. But, again, resist the urge to go faster at first (and it is a strong urge, I know)! I still fight with that urge every single day…but I always regret it if I go faster.

Anyway, I got my scale from eBay. The link is below. It is pricier than you might want to pay…about $280. There has been a lot of discussion lately on this forum about using such a scale. Many say it is not necessary and the margin of error is not too large with a jeweler’s scale. But I am very, very sensitive to reductions. The specs on this scale are +/-0.0002 grams accuracy and +/-0.0001 grams repeatability. I am very glad that a jeweler’s scale works for most everyone. But I decided that since I was going to be tapering for 1-1 ½ years, it was worth the extra money to me. I say all this because I do not want to be accused of “plugging “ a scale. We each have to find what works best for each of us. And this, fortunately, seems to work for me. If you decide to purchase it, the instructions are, unfortunately, in chinese! Just message me, And I would be glad to assist you set it up if you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135072991408?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230823115209%26meid%3Daa02dfdf4fe54e218ce9dd97a157fee5%26pid%3D101800%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D135072991408%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2SignedOut%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4375194.c101800.m5481&_trkparms=parentrq%3Ae0568ada18f0a8cd794cfbb9fffcf2ca|pageci%3A4825e519-21fd-11ef-9058-82456d45eaa4|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage

Keep me updated and let me know how you are doing. I look forward to hearing from you often. I’ll be thinking of you!

Edited by [El...]

[Mo...]

The 10 pills I weighed seemed to stay at the same weight but it seems every time I weigh 2 different pills out of the bottle, they weigh differently, but very close. I'll take 1 pill out of the bottle and it is 0.046. The next pill I weigh will be 0.050. So either the scale isn't accurate or the pills weigh a little differently.  Not sure.

[El...]

I am kind of surprised your pills weigh so little.  0.5 mg Ativan pills are usually in the vicinity of 0.06 grams.  Mine have weighed from 0.0596 to 0.0621 grams.  

Ii would assume it is a combination of your scale being less than accurate and variations in the weights of the pills.  The variations are accounted for by using the average weight in you calculations and subsequent reductions.

You might get better accuracy with your scale if you (and you may do this already):

Calibrate your scale before each use, let your scale warm up for 10-15 minutes before use, make sure the scale is level, keep it away from drafts and heat or cooling sources, try to keep your scale at constant humidity, keep scale away from sources of vibration (like foot traffic or household appliances), making sure the weigh pan is not contaminated by dust or pill fragments, and adding an additional weight to the scale likexa nickel or quarter when weighing (scales are more accurate away from lower and upper weighing limits of the scale).

Let me know how tomorrow goes!

[Mo...]

Thanks again. You really know what you are talking about.

Talk soon

[Mo...]
On 03/06/2024 at 19:44, [[M...] said:

Thanks again. You really know what you are talking about.

Talk soon

Just when I was saying I would start my taper, something went wrong with my scale. I ordered another one of the same kind and should receive today.

I've been reading a lot here on the topic of scales and their accuracy. I actually did use the Smart Weigh when I tapered off Klonopin a few years ago and was able to taper from 1.5 in 6-8 mos. (can't remember exactly). However, with the shorter half life of Ativan, I'm thinking I might need to get the more expensive scale for better accuracy as I go to lower doses. I'll start out with this one and as I go along, I'll know if I need to get the pricier one. I mean - what's my life worth 😌 

I'll let you know how it goes!

[Mo...]
4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Just when I was saying I would start my taper, something went wrong with my scale. I ordered another one of the same kind and should receive today.

I've been reading a lot here on the topic of scales and their accuracy. I actually did use the Smart Weigh when I tapered off Klonopin a few years ago and was able to taper from 1.5 in 6-8 mos. (can't remember exactly). However, with the shorter half life of Ativan, I'm thinking I might need to get the more expensive scale for better accuracy as I go to lower doses. I'll start out with this one and as I go along, I'll know if I need to get the pricier one. I mean - what's my life worth 😌 

I'll let you know how it goes!

I didn't mention to you that over the last couple months I've been getting the wrong advice from different Dr's, PAs, therapists, and friends so I've been all over the place with trying different things with my taper. No wonder my cns is so messed up. Shaving, cutting, etc. without a plan. A PA told me to take all 4 at night. Then a dr. said 3 at night and 1 in the day. About 10 days ago,  I talked to a pharmacist and he said 2 at night and the other 2 spread out which I have been doing. I actually had a great day yesterday and today.  So - I'm wondering if I should hold for a few more days or a week before I start my taper? What do you think?

[Mo...]

Hi Ellie, I finally started my taper last night. I don't really know if I'm doing it right, but 2 pills weighed 0.105 and I ended up shaving to 0.103. Tonight 2 pills weighed 0.104 and I shaved to 0.102. I felt fine today, but since last night was the first cut, I guess we'll see.

[El...]

@[Mo...] Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.  My son and his family are visting from out of town so I haven't been  checking the forum.  But your did your cut exactly right!  So very, very glad you had a good day yesterday and today.  Generally speaking, since Ativan has such a short half life, withdrawal effects will be felt within 24 hours.  Some people do report that it takes longer, however.  If I make a too large cut, I feel it within 12-18 hours.  But still do give it a few days to see how you are doing.  Congratulations!

Please keep me updated, OK?

[Mo...]
2 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

@[Mo...] Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.  My son and his family are visting from out of town so I haven't been  checking the forum.  But your did your cut exactly right!  So very, very glad you had a good day yesterday and today.  Generally speaking, since Ativan has such a short half life, withdrawal effects will be felt within 24 hours.  Some people do report that it takes longer, however.  If I make a too large cut, I feel it within 12-18 hours.  But still do give it a few days to see how you are doing.  Congratulations!

Please keep me updated, OK?

Great that you got to see your family!

Yes, I was thrilled to feel so good today after the first cut, especially since I was getting back into tolerance WD.

Thank you- it means so much to have your support (I did read the post about the schooling you've had!).

[Mo...]
On 03/06/2024 at 17:31, [[E...] said:

OK. I am still a little confused. If 10 pills weigh 0.515 grams, 1 pill should be in the vicinity of 0.0515 grams (rounded to 0.052 grams) and 2 pills on the vicinity of 0.103 grams. But you weighed 2 pills and got 0.100 grams and 1 pill weighing 0.050 grams. But since the average was 0.515, we need to go with that weight. I know it seems counterintuitive, but go with it! So every time you put 2 pills on the scale assume they weigh 0.103 grams and proceed from there. If you want to make a 0.001 grams reduction for your 1st cut, you should file 1 pill so that total weight of the 2 pills is 0.102 grams (0.103 - 0.001 = 0.102 grams). If your 2 pills initially weigh less than 0.103 grams, do not file a pill down. Just take the 2 pills as is. If the 2 pills weigh more than 0.103 grams, file down to 0.102 grams (regardless of the starting weight).

So tomorrow take 0.102 grams in the pm. Since you are not feeling well, I would stay at 0.102 grams for a few days. Here is a way you might think of it as you proceed:

1st reduction – take 0.102 grams = 0.97% reduction

2nd reduction – take 0.101 grams = 0.98% reduction (or an overall reduction of 1.94%)

3rd reduction – take 0.100 grams = 0.99% reduction (overall 2.91%)

4th reduction - take 0.099 grams = 1.00% reduction (overall 3.88%)

5th reduction – take 0.098 grams = 1.01% reduction (overall 4.85%)

6th reduction – take 0.097 grams = 1.02% reduction (overall 5.83%)

Etc.

Since these are pretty hefty reductions, if it were me, I would probably only, at most, make 2 or 3 reductions in a row (after you hold a couple of days after the first reduction). Then after 2 or 3 more reductions, hold for 2-4 days again and assess how you are feeling. You can always proceed to another reduction or hold longer if you need to. You really don’t want your overall reduction to be greater than 5%-10% every 2-4 weeks. Just let your symptoms guide you. There is no rush. If you aim is to experience as little or few symptoms to be as possible, start slowly. You can always go faster. But, again, resist the urge to go faster at first (and it is a strong urge, I know)! I still fight with that urge every single day…but I always regret it if I go faster.

Anyway, I got my scale from eBay. The link is below. It is pricier than you might want to pay…about $280. There has been a lot of discussion lately on this forum about using such a scale. Many say it is not necessary and the margin of error is not too large with a jeweler’s scale. But I am very, very sensitive to reductions. The specs on this scale are +/-0.0002 grams accuracy and +/-0.0001 grams repeatability. I am very glad that a jeweler’s scale works for most everyone. But I decided that since I was going to be tapering for 1-1 ½ years, it was worth the extra money to me. I say all this because I do not want to be accused of “plugging “ a scale. We each have to find what works best for each of us. And this, fortunately, seems to work for me. If you decide to purchase it, the instructions are, unfortunately, in chinese! Just message me, And I would be glad to assist you set it up if you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/135072991408?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D777008%26algo%3DPERSONAL.TOPIC%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20230823115209%26meid%3Daa02dfdf4fe54e218ce9dd97a157fee5%26pid%3D101800%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26itm%3D135072991408%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D4375194%26algv%3DRecentlyViewedItemsV2SignedOut%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p4375194.c101800.m5481&_trkparms=parentrq%3Ae0568ada18f0a8cd794cfbb9fffcf2ca|pageci%3A4825e519-21fd-11ef-9058-82456d45eaa4|iid%3A1|vlpname%3Avlp_homepage

Keep me updated and let me know how you are doing. I look forward to hearing from you often. I’ll be thinking of you!

Hi Ellie, I'm sure now I want to order a more accurate scale. The jewelry scale I have now worked fine when I got off Klonopin, but doesn't seem accurate enough for micro tapering. Especially when I will get to very small doses later on. You had mentioned  your scales instructions are in Chinese, but you would help me set it up. I just looked at the link and they said it could be here btwn. the 18th and the 21st. Will you be available around that time if I order it?

[Mo...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Hi Ellie, I'm sure now I want to order a more accurate scale. The jewelry scale I have now worked fine when I got off Klonopin, but doesn't seem accurate enough for micro tapering. Especially when I will get to very small doses later on. You had mentioned  your scales instructions are in Chinese, but you would help me set it up. I just looked at the link and they said it could be here btwn. the 18th and the 21st. Will you be available around that time if I order it?

Oops, I just read a note at the top of the scale listing and it said it had ended by seller. I wonder if I can get one on Amazon that is similar.

[Mo...]
9 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Oops, I just read a note at the top of the scale listing and it said it had ended by seller. I wonder if I can get one on Amazon that is similar.

If you know of one that would be like yours, I could order it. I can also look at the specs of ones listed on Amazon and hopefully it would be very similar to the one you suggested.

[El...]
[Mo...]
[Mo...]
10 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Great, I will order this one. Thank you!!

You asked if I was feeling better. Pretty bad the last couple of days. I'm thinking with my new scale, I'll have peace of mind with the accuracy and a more stable taper plan. 

[El...]

I went back and read your earlier posts.  I think I need to apologize because I did not read accurately the post when you gave the weights for your first reduction.  If you are still holding at your first reduction, gven the average weight of your pills, you should always weigh 0.102 grams regardless of the starting weight of your 2 pills.  The only exception would be if the pills weigh less 0.103 grams.  In that case, you would not cut or shave.  If you on to your next reduction, always weigh 0.101 grams.  As I said, it seems counterintuitive, but it really is the only way you are going to get consistency from day to day.

I do hope you are feeling better.  But if you are at all "shaky", just hold.  Not only were you feeling unwell to start, but you are starting a new method of tapering.  You just need to get your body time to adjust and stabilize.

Hope to hear good things soon!

[Mo...]
2 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

I went back and read your earlier posts.  I think I need to apologize because I did not read accurately the post when you gave the weights for your first reduction.  If you are still holding at your first reduction, gven the average weight of your pills, you should always weigh 0.102 grams regardless of the starting weight of your 2 pills.  The only exception would be if the pills weigh less 0.103 grams.  In that case, you would not cut or shave.  If you on to your next reduction, always weigh 0.101 grams.  As I said, it seems counterintuitive, but it really is the only way you are going to get consistency from day to day.

I do hope you are feeling better.  But if you are at all "shaky", just hold.  Not only were you feeling unwell to start, but you are starting a new method of tapering.  You just need to get your body time to adjust and stabilize.

Hope to hear good things soon!

Glad I'm getting the new scale. The one I'm using is weighing differently each time, so I'm not sure how much I've actually been taking. I just know I feel horrible today. So I think you are saying just stay at 0.102 til I feel better.

[Mo...]
27 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Glad I'm getting the new scale. The one I'm using is weighing differently each time, so I'm not sure how much I've actually been taking. I just know I feel horrible today. So I think you are saying just stay at 0.102 til I feel better.

No apology necessary-I appreciate your help so much!

[Mo...]
19 hours ago, [[M...] said:

No apology necessary-I appreciate your help so much!

Good Morning. I am thinking of a new plan for my taper. Instead of taking 2 doses at night and 2 during the day, I am thinking if I stretch out all 4 pills every 6 hours, that would lessen the interdose withdrawals and I could shave off different doses throughout the day. Your thoughts?

[Mo...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Good Morning. I am thinking of a new plan for my taper. Instead of taking 2 doses at night and 2 during the day, I am thinking if I stretch out all 4 pills every 6 hours, that would lessen the interdose withdrawals and I could shave off different doses throughout the day. Your thoughts?

Also how to weigh and how much of which ones to shave. Of course, sometime next week I'll be getting the scale from the link you sent, so it's all probably going to weigh a little differently I assume.

[El...]

@[Mo...] Oh dear! If you are thinking of transitioning to dosing more often, it must mean you are not feeling too well.

I was going to caution you that if you do switch to 4 doses per day that you might consider doing so gradually. But, of course, you have already thought of this!  Anyway (as a very small caution), I'll give you an example from my experience (which you can take or leave). When I reached 1 mg in my taper (after starting at 3 mg), my doctor thought it might be easier to switch from dosing 3x per day to 4x per day… and, theoretically, he was correct. I could take 2 of my 0.5 mg pills and just cut them each in half…and get a rest from the “hassle” of cutting and weighing each dose for a few days. I abruptly introduced this change. But, I think, my system was just not primed to have each dose reduced to such a degree so rapidly. Even though the end result was the same overall daily dose, I was going from three approximately 0.333 mg doses to four 0.25 mg doses. It seemed like my system regarded this as a cut from 0.333 mg to 0.25 mg…not a transition. The result was that I became quite ill. I really don’t know how long it would have taken to “recover” from that change in dosing because I fairly quickly returned to dosing 3x per day. So, I just want to caution you that, although this might not happen to you (and you are only changing 1 dose, not 3) this might not be the immediate panacea you may wish, particularly since your CNS appears to be fairly sensitive already.

So to get an idea of how you would like to proceed, what times of the day and evening would you eventually like to be dosing?  Do you want to start anew at 2 mg?  I would be glad to help you make the calculations as you proceed.

Hoping your day is getting better!

[Mo...]
47 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

@[Mo...] Oh dear! If you are thinking of transitioning to dosing more often, it must mean you are not feeling too well.

I was going to caution you that if you do switch to 4 doses per day that you might consider doing so gradually. But, of course, you have already thought of this!  Anyway (as a very small caution), I'll give you an example from my experience (which you can take or leave). When I reached 1 mg in my taper (after starting at 3 mg), my doctor thought it might be easier to switch from dosing 3x per day to 4x per day… and, theoretically, he was correct. I could take 2 of my 0.5 mg pills and just cut them each in half…and get a rest from the “hassle” of cutting and weighing each dose for a few days. I abruptly introduced this change. But, I think, my system was just not primed to have each dose reduced to such a degree so rapidly. Even though the end result was the same overall daily dose, I was going from three approximately 0.333 mg doses to four 0.25 mg doses. It seemed like my system regarded this as a cut from 0.333 mg to 0.25 mg…not a transition. The result was that I became quite ill. I really don’t know how long it would have taken to “recover” from that change in dosing because I fairly quickly returned to dosing 3x per day. So, I just want to caution you that, although this might not happen to you (and you are only changing 1 dose, not 3) this might not be the immediate panacea you may wish, particularly since your CNS appears to be fairly sensitive already.

So to get an idea of how you would like to proceed, what times of the day and evening would you eventually like to be dosing?  Do you want to start anew at 2 mg?  I would be glad to help you make the calculations as you proceed.

Hoping your day is getting better!

Yeah, I had hoped that would lessen the symptoms. I've been feeling worse everyday and don't know exactly what to do. I certainly don't want to get worse than I have, so I would appreciate any advice.

[Mo...]
2 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Yeah, I had hoped that would lessen the symptoms. I've been feeling worse everyday and don't know exactly what to do. I certainly don't want to get worse than I have, so I would appreciate any advice.

I was thinking the first dose at 6am, 2nd at 12pm, 3rd at 6pm and last at 12am.

[Mo...]
Just now, [[M...] said:

I was thinking the first dose at 6am, 2nd at 12pm, 3rd at 6pm and last at 12am.