Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Affordable taper programs?

[Fo...]

Are there any affordable tele taper programs in US/West Cost? I’m looking into the limited programs out there, evidence based protocol for benzo taper. I have phone consults with 3 next week, though already know expensive and out of pocket. One lists price of 550 per month, not sure if this covers meds too, with general estimate of 12 - 18 months to complete.

[pi...]

Hello @[Fo...],

Do you currently have a doctor providing  you with a benzo prescriptions? If so, you could likely plan, implement and be successful with a taper on your own. With the information and support here, many people have done just that. My doctor supported the use of the Ashton plan, but he was as much as novice as I was. I really didn’t consult him during my taper. Admittedly, my taper was rough since I didn’t find this forum until after I jumped off. 

[Fo...]

Yes, I do currently have a Provider willing to continue Rx. My preference due to high cost of limited taper programs, would be to do on my own. Yes, feel very fortunate to have found this resource/source of support. Helped me realize why my taper efforts, 1/2 of .5mg Klonopin has worked intermittently, then fell apart when received another manufacturer instead of Teva, for 30days. Experienced WD during most of the 30 days and attempts to return to .25mg predictably did not work beyond a few days as too big a cut and only 2 week recovery on Teva. That said, though out of line with 5-10%cut, I am still giving a go to .25 + .125, so .25 cut, understanding this may be too much, though beyond tired of feeling a hostage to this benzo.

[pi...]

Hello again @[Fo...],

In the many years I’ve been involved with this forum I have heard many people have difficulty with brand changes of clonazepam. I think you likely should have waited a while when returning to the Teva brand before attempting any reductions. Stabilizing can take weeks,  not days.

Please be patient with your taper. I wasn’t, I also felt I needed to get off a drug that was making me ill. However, had I found this forum before I started tapering, or even during, I would have gone much slower. Clonazepam is a very strong benzo. A lot of people can taper directly from it, I could not. 

[Fo...]

Thank you, Pianogirl. I do believe you are spot on regarding the need to stabilize longer after returning to Teva before starting to taper. Especially given long term use and complete upheaval of my system with the brand change. This experience was the final straw to taper down. 
Looking back in time I now understand why my Dr. did not encourage my suggestion of using Gabapentin as a partial substitute to Klonopin or Vistaril or even BuSpar, though he didn’t clarify why. They don’t substitute and I’m no longer wanting to add another med to the mix, even the longer acting Diazepam, though understand the rationale and has proven to be successful with the taper process. I am hopeful for a direct taper if possible.

Thank you for the guidance and support, I so very much need. Patience had never been a strong suite, but do agree this of all situations necessitates patience and listening to the body and accepting I am not a failure when a taper that is simply too fast for my system does not work.