Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Alcohol issues

[Da...]

Did anyone have alcohol issues in the past?  I did. I stop short of saying I'm an alcoholic as I don't thing I am/was. Kind of a situational thing but still I spent a good few years struggling with it. I wonder if this has a bearing on how bad my wd is

• Like 1

[jo...]

I was a big drinker before this, and I drank whilst on benzos also. I dont think it effects your withdrawl as long as you dont drink during withdrawl. I drank once during withdrawl and it caused a wave. IMO it will cause problems for most. I prsonally am not going to drink for a while after recovery also, as I have heard stories of it causing setbacks in certain individuals. It's just not worth the risk.

• Like 2

[Ha...]
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. You're torturing yourself and trying to find some sort of reason/comfort in why things are bad at the moment. The truth is nobody knows. I've a friend who tapered down continually drinking with no problems. Another who didn't really drink suffered. 

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 1

[Cr...]
2 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Did anyone have alcohol issues in the past?  I did. I stop short of saying I'm an alcoholic as I don't thing I am/was. Kind of a situational thing but still I spent a good few years struggling with it. I wonder if this has a bearing on how bad my wd is

I did. Alcohol use is one of the reasons I went on benzos. And benzo withdrawal is partly what drove me to heavier alcohol use... which led back to a benzo reinstatement.

That said, even Dr. Ashton said a glass of wine every now and then shouldn't be an issue. However, there are members that never had alcohol use problems in their past that found even a glass of wine or a beer to ramp up their withdrawal symptoms from benzo use. You may be fine having one drink a few times a month but do you want to take that gamble?

If you abstain from alcohol then you can at least have peace of mind that you aren't doing anything that could potentially jeopardize your recovery.

• Like 3

[da...]
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Welcome to the booze&benzo recovery club buddy. You’re not alone. Honestly im also terrified that my bad alcoholic history will affect my recovery , however there folks here that recovered from being poly drugged, who were way worse than us. Lets keep the faith. 

please your alcohol history briefly 

Edited by [da...]
  • Like 1

[Le...]

I never had an alcoholoc history or even enjoyed it really. I am a real lightweight too. As i realized how messed up i was from going through this and that more of what i was experiencing was trauma than anything else I actually started to use alcohol only saturdays and only about 3oz after browsing the most similar and triggering stuff here on this site. i actually use it to calm after and have been improving from the exposure therapy. there are similarities in these drugs but mostly the similarities are just unhealthy lifestyles of people who use both to extremes be it addiction or on advice of a crap doctor  

you should read some of the crazy posts i have made just messing myself up by talking/reading about people that were harmed like i was. 

i am so grateful for the community here that puts up with me behaving how I am now and really think moderate use of drugs including alcohol can in specific ways be beneficial. we were told to use them in very unhealthy ways.  

• Like 1

[da...]
5 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I never had an alcoholoc history or even enjoyed it really. I am a real lightweight too. As i realized how messed up i was from going through this and that more of what i was experiencing was trauma than anything else I actually started to use alcohol only saturdays and only about 3oz after browsing the most similar and triggering stuff here on this site. i actually use it to calm after and have been improving from the exposure therapy. there are similarities in these drugs but mostly the similarities are just unhealthy lifestyles of people who use both to extremes be it addiction or on advice of a crap doctor  

you should read some of the crazy posts i have made just messing myself up by talking/reading about people that were harmed like i was. 

i am so grateful for the community here that puts up with me behaving how I am now and really think moderate use of drugs including alcohol can in specific ways be beneficial. we were told to use them in very unhealthy ways.  

Alcohol whether used moderately, isnt beneficial at all. Theres scientific research that clearly indicates that alcohol consumption in moderation still increases chances of dementia & Alzheimer’s disease . Really not worth it. 

• Like 1

[Le...]
43 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Alcohol whether used moderately, isnt beneficial at all. Theres scientific research that clearly indicates that alcohol consumption in moderation still increases chances of dementia & Alzheimer’s disease . Really not worth it. 

yea  totally agree but the same can be said of all medicines too. the real question is are there ways to use either where the benefit is worth the harm. 

[da...]
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

yea  totally agree but the same can be said of all medicines too. the real question is are there ways to use either where the benefit is worth the harm. 

Well iv never advocated for psych med use. Frankly i hate it, im not saying people should get off their meds but look where we’re at right now.

And this is just my opinion but id rather not trade temporary relief for long term harm. 
👇🏾

Edited by [da...]
  • Sad 1

[da...]
On 31/05/2024 at 19:16, [[j...] said:

I was a big drinker before this, and I drank whilst on benzos also. I dont think it effects your withdrawl as long as you dont drink during withdrawl. I drank once during withdrawl and it caused a wave. IMO it will cause problems for most. I prsonally am not going to drink for a while after recovery also, as I have heard stories of it causing setbacks in certain individuals. It's just not worth the risk.

Guilty as charged. I was recovered and here are am. Feeling as if its acute.  Once you guys are out of here dont touch the booze please 🙏🏽 

• Like 1