Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Would u consider or tried a phyc ward?

[Ja...]

I think most of us know this ain’t no walk in the park,.and a lot of us will have different back stories,pasts,med use etc.

If things get so bad would you ask for help this way,I’ll be totally honest,.The withdrawal is throwing my mind about so mutch it’s feeling to mutch.

The thing is,I don’t want my kids seeing dad like this,.it’s been noticed now,.I don’t want to traumatise my family seeing me go through this

That’s the thing with this,your not the only 1 going through it,apart from this I’m experiencing mental states that even after coming out of, them.I’m sitting a bit staring into space.

like I said we all have pasts,.but mabie some with a little bit to mutch.

I know all about phyc wards as I had a family member in/out for years,.I would just like to know if any1 needed 1 for med/drug misuse etc

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Assuming you turn down any benzos, ADs, and anti-psychotic meds, the only thing going to the psyche ward will do is keep you away from your family for a bit, which you said would be a benefit due to you not wanting them to see you suffer.

However, your recovery may take many months and you can't spend that whole time there in regards to insurance, especially if you are not accepting any medication treatment while there.

If you do accept an AD, the ward tends to titrate you up to a therapeutic level pretty rapidly and they usually counter the start up effects with a benzo. 

In the end it is your choice. Have you tried explaining to your family what is going on, stating there will be days where you need time alone while in recovery and would really appreciate their understanding and cooperation?

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

[jo...]

I feel like I would do better with this if I could live alone while I got through it. Not having to deal with people sometimes is a really good thing. And only seeing people when your up to it. Being able to pick and choose when you deal with people would really help. Plus you don't want to create stress for the people your living with and that just ads to your own stress.

Unfortunately a lot cant work and support themselves so this isn't often an option. If only there was a place we could go where everyone was like us and understood what was happening. Letting you recover at your own pace, supporting you when needed, and leaving you be when needed. Wishful thinking maybe.

• Like 2

[Ja...]

Crono yea the last few days I’ve had to really explain what’s going on,I actually jumped on the Valium to try sort my head out coming of anti ds

Thing is I wasn’t very well on them,very near lost myself,.and 18 month on Valium at times it was good,but I think I was kidding myself and the people around me

Started this taper at the start of the year as I was having issues while still on Valium,but yea it is more to do with my family seeing what’s happening 

im uk so it doesn’t involve insurance.

your dead right Jonwill,.if I had somewhere to do this I’d just get on with it bud,.I’ve been at it since January,.cancelled a recent family holiday,.spent way to mutch time in a room myself,.even that’s no good for family to see.

• Like 1

[En...]
1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

I think most of us know this ain’t no walk in the park,.and a lot of us will have different back stories,pasts,med use etc.

If things get so bad would you ask for help this way,I’ll be totally honest,.The withdrawal is throwing my mind about so mutch it’s feeling to mutch.

The thing is,I don’t want my kids seeing dad like this,.it’s been noticed now,.I don’t want to traumatise my family seeing me go through this

That’s the thing with this,your not the only 1 going through it,apart from this I’m experiencing mental states that even after coming out of, them.I’m sitting a bit staring into space.

I know all about phyc wards as I had a family member in/out for years,.I would just like to know if any1 needed 1 for med/drug misuse etc

So many times I have contemplated this. In the beginning I was suffering so bad. I actually went to the Crisis Center to talk to them about going into a ward. They assessed me and decided because I wasn't suicidal they would give me coping suggestions and sent me home. Maybe that was a good thing maybe I would have suffered more in a phyc ward. You have room mates that flush the toilet at night and may even stay up all night with the light on or will talk to themselves or be disruptive. My wife went to one once and she had to get out. They tried many AD on her and she was going crazy. They just want to medicate you and get you out and if your not suicidal they will not consider you. I think being at home is a better option for your future. Plus you get fed but you have to eat whatever they give you and the food sucks. 

I have been that desperate myself. 

• Like 4

[ro...]
2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

*much

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

I feel like I would do better with this if I could live alone while I got through it.

That was how I felt. Around family and loved ones I felt pressure to put on a facade of being ok. And holding up that illusion can get exhausting. For others going through withdrawal they are afraid to be by themselves.

If you don't plan on letting youself get medicated they will probably just refer you to therapy or outpatient mental health resources.

• Like 4

[kn...]

I don’t know how long you folks have been married or how old your kids are, but if everyone sticks together for the duration, you’re going to go through a lot more than just the whole benzo ordeal. Yes, it would be nice to check out and isolate when the ordeals arise, but the life path is the ordeals. My wife and I have shared cancer, major life messes with our kids and their kids, caring for and dealing with aging and dying parents, my brother’s incarceration for felony drug charges  and, of course, now it’s the benzos. Both of us will readily admit that we would have gladly left many a time. Yes, being present in the whole mess all the time is. not. fun. I had a friend who recently left his wife for a time following prostate cancer because he could no longer perform intimately like he used to. He came home finally. I asked him how everything turned out. He said that his wife asked him ‘if he remembered how crazy she acted during childbirth and menopause.’ Then she said: ‘And you think you’ve had it rough?’  They’re still together in every sense of the word. You can live at home, go through it and your wife and kids will still love you. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hello Buddie. Don´t you think psych wards are a bit extreme? When we are going through withdraw we do experience mind confusion, fear, terror really, and we get fragile, but this passes, I guarantee. Realtives may times do not help, they say nasty things, don´t understand us or the situation and makes us feel guilty when we are not to blame. Don´t put yourself through this. 

You´ll be okay, it will pass.

Best wishes,

• Like 1

[Ma...]

I really encourage you to make an appointment with Jennifer Leigh as soon as possible. She can advise in this area better than most.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

[Tw...]

I went to a psych ward for 27 days when I first quit Xanax. It helped me to get medication to prevent seizures and some non addictive meds to help me sleep and to control anxiety. It also helped to get 24/7 medical observation, because my withdrawal symptoms were very severe. It also helped to see two medical doctors per day, to help control the horrific withdrawal symptoms that I was experiencing. 

• Like 1

[Le...]
8 hours ago, [[J...] said:

this is so familiar to me. I had the same thoughts. 

For one thing those places make people sicker not better and you need all the normal you can get. On the other hand your kids need stability and controlled reactions to normal life stuff to grow properly and be secure. I feel a lot for you because I am just getting my first child calm and comfortable again .

sadly the best choice in my opinion if to have them involved or cared for as much as possible while not isolating yourself so much you dont recover.  if you have grandparent daycare or anything that would be perfect  take some pressure off you and know they are in a healthy place  

kids need security, love and stability.  you really do too now.  do the best you can  

• Like 2

[Ca...]

I can''t recommend a psych ward. I don't know what they are like in the UK but having to deal with people who have been involuntarily committed will be very disturbing. And it will be hard to get the little rest we get. I think the advice to try and continue  explaining what you're going through and what you need to get through it is the better approach. When my withdrawal is beyond tolerable, I think of the Hemmingway quote " The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places." 

My heart goes out to you.

• Like 2

[Do...]
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, [[E...] said:

So many times I have contemplated this. In the beginning I was suffering so bad. I actually went to the Crisis Center to talk to them about going into a ward. They assessed me and decided because I wasn't suicidal they would give me coping suggestions and sent me home. Maybe that was a good thing maybe I would have suffered more in a phyc ward. You have room mates that flush the toilet at night and may even stay up all night with the light on or will talk to themselves or be disruptive. My wife went to one once and she had to get out. They tried many AD on her and she was going crazy. They just want to medicate you and get you out and if your not suicidal they will not consider you. I think being at home is a better option for your future. Plus you get fed but you have to eat whatever they give you and the food sucks. 

I have been that desperate myself. 

I totally agree here.

At the start when i was very sick in acute wd, before i started to micro taper, i thought i might need to be in a ward but i made some research of hiw that works and if you enter volunteer you cant refuse to take any meds the guve you and they will give you tons of them, AD, antipsychotics and of course benzos cause they wont rather believe your problem is WD and the will 100% misdiagnose you.

Bad idea for sure unless you found an specific clinic that was benzo wise and knew how to treat you.

Also, i think it wouldnt make much difference from going into detox wich is completely not recommended by the benzo community.

Edited by [Do...]
  • Like 1