Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

substitution taper xanax to klonipin

[8n...]

Need help. I have a limited supply of x and doc wont give more so i need to crossover slightly fast.  :'(

I'm not sure what your situation is, 8nxus1.  Things like how much Xanax you are on, how you split that up during the day, what size tablets you have and how many you have as well as information about the Valium you have.  Are you currently on .5mg/day Xanax?  Do you take that all at once or spread it out during the day?  And how much Valium do you have?

Thank you so much beeper! I currently have 9 of my .5mg x's left. I've been taking that spread over two doses daily (.25 in the am and .25 before bed). The doc wouldnt prescribe the suggested valium, but settled for klonopin. He gave me 49  .5 mg klonopins. This is probably my only available supply. I MAY be able to get more but doubt it. I hope my cuts arent too much bigger than suggested.

By the way, Im not sure If it matters but Im actually using the xanax bars and they come in perforated quarter sections. And Ive been breaking it into the quarters for the day, and then taking that and breaking it in half for my bi-daily dose of .25. xoxo

By the way, Im not sure If it matters but Im actually using the xanax bars and they come in perforated quarter sections. And Ive been breaking it into the quarters for the day, and then taking that and breaking it in half for my bi-daily dose of .25. xoxo

I'm still confused about the Xanax.  Are the bars 1mg total so that 1/4 is .25mg or maybe it's a 2mg bar so that 1/4 = .5mg which you then break in half?  Earlier you said you had 9 .5mg Xanax but there's no way you could break that in quarters and get .5mg to split into 2 .25mg pieces.

At any rate, you will need to figure out how to stretch the Xanax but I can give you a suggested substitution schedule.  How long you wait between stages will be determined by how many .25mg Xanax pieces you have.  Klonopin and Xanax are equivalent in dose so it makes the substitution pretty easy.

Start:    .25 Xanax + .25 Xanax  = .5 Xanax = .5 Klonopin

Stage 1:  .25 Xanax + .25 Klonopin = .5 Xanax = .5 Klonopin

Stage 2:  .25 Klonopin + .25 Klonopin = .5 Xanax = .5 Klonopin.

I'd wait a week once you are on nothing but Klonopin before starting to taper but how long you wait may be determined by whether or not you can get a prescription refill.  I wouldn't worry about that now; just get started on the crossover, okay?  If you have any, questions, just ask.  ;)  Good luck.

I'm really sorry but I don't understand the way the crossover is written. And yes they r 2 mg bars of xanax. I break them in quarters then break the quarters in half. Thx.

All the amounts are given in milligrams; I should have specified that.  :-[  You said you currently break your (2mg) bars in .5mg pieces and then cut them in half to get .25mg pieces.  Assuming you have the .5mg Klonopin tablets, you would cut them in half to get .25mg pieces.  You still take your doses 2x/day but you start substituting .25mg Klonopin for one of the .25mg Xanax doses; wait a few days to 2 weeks and then replace the other one so would then be on .5mg Klonopin/day.  If you have enough Xanax to wait a week or two before making that second substitution, that's what we would advice.  Hope that helps.

Thank you so much. Sorry for being stupid. One more quick question, which would u recommend  taking at night?

You are NOT stupid!  :nono: This isn't easy stuff to get.  I guess you are asking which dose you should replace first, is that right?  I didn't crossover from Xanas to Klonopin so this is just an educated guess but I think I would replace the morning dose first and leave the Xanax at night for however long you can hold there before completing the crossover.

Ya, now that i think about it if i took the k at night id be worried about it all night and not be able to sleep, furthering my anxiety. Thank you so much beeper  ;)  I cant wait to be back to normal. If there's ANYTHING I can do for you plz let me know.

Ya, now that i think about it if i took the k at night id be worried about it all night and not be able to sleep, furthering my anxiety. Thank you so much beeper  ;)  I cant wait to be back to normal. If there's ANYTHING I can do for you plz let me know.

Well, since you mentioned it...  ;)

When you are done and feeling at least 80% healed, please post your story on the Success Stories Board.  Doesn't have to be anything long or detailed, just enough to encourage the newbies who come after you.  Too often people start feeling good, get on with their lives and we never know what happened to them.  :-\

ill be here as long as i have a computer  ;)  In w/d and in health, for benzo or worse, till s/x do us part.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

ill be here as long as i have a computer  ;)  In w/d and in health, for benzo or worse, till s/x do us part.  :thumbsup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: