Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Taper 0.5mg Klonopin since 2016

[Fo...]
Posted (edited)

Hello, new here. Wondering on timeline for taper of .5mg Klonopin since 2016, 15 - 20 days month. Was ok down to 1/2 of .5mg for several weeks, then manufacture change from Teva threw it off completely, plus out 3 days prior to new manufacturer so w/d symptoms. Back on Teva, stable 2.5 weeks, back to 1/2 of .5mg and mostly ok. How long to stay on this dose? Would like 2 months before next taper. Possible? Will stay on Teva. Also on 100 Wellbutrin, 100 Zoloft, Propranolol 10-20mg prn, Trazodone cut to 25mg from 50mg 4 days ago with 0 issue. Thanks,

Edited by [Fo...]
Word correction correct spelling

Hello, @[Fo...]! Welcome to BenzoBuddies) We're glad you've decided to post here. I'm bad at tapering but really hope other members will soon give you their thoughts & advice.

Good luck to you:classic_smile:

[Fo...]

Thanks very much!! Needing lots of luck on this mine filled journey.

• Like 1

[Br...]

Hello @[Fo...] and welcome!

In my opinion it would be best to hold at your current dose until you're better than "mostly ok".  Perhaps hold a couple more weeks. It would be best to assess how you're feeling and make the decision to resume when you're feeling more stable.  

12 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Would like 2 months before next taper. Possible?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Please explain.

For when you resume your taper: As a general rule we suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% of your most recent dose.  But again the important thing is to remain flexible and if you're feeling strong symptoms that make it hard to function, make smaller cuts and/or hold longer until you feel more stable. The goad is to remain as functional as possible during your taper and this is the best way we know of to do that.

We're glad you found us!

• Like 1

[Fo...]

Thanks. Believe I’ve been thinking I could taper faster than possible, as decrease of 1/2 of .5mg is more than 5-10%, which is probably why I’ve been stuck, if honest with reality, often returning to .5mg by splitting the 1/2 of .5 into 2x per day. Which hasn’t really allowed for consistent moving forward. I’ve falsely believed progress has been made when really it has not. I’m quite new to the taper process and to decision to move to eliminating Klonopin, which at this point is doing nothing for original purpose, anxiety reduction, and used to prevent benzo withdrawal. Of note, anxiety is a minimal issue now.

• Like 1

[Br...]

Please keep us posted about how you're doing.  Be sure to reach out for support when you need it!

[Fo...]

Will do. Thank you 😊 I am not clear on how to take off 10% of a pill. And, weighing would probably drive me crazy. Using a scale seems the only way but I’m not mathematically inclined at all and do not understand how to use a scale with concept of 10% taper. 

[Br...]

Some people just eyeball their reductions.  For example, they crush the pills and divide into little piles, or use a file to remove what looks to be 5 or 10% .  Obviously this is more likely to invite variation than using a scale.

A lot of members use this scale: https://www.amazon.com/AWS-Portable-Precision-Digital-Milligram/dp/B0012TDNAM?th=1  I've used it successfully for a couple of tapers.  It's a little finicky but you'll get the hang of it.  Be sure to use it on a stable, level surface in a room with little movement - activity in the room and drafts can affect accuracy.  

It helps to start by figuring out the average weight of a pill.  Weigh 10 pills and divide the total by 10 to get the average weight.  Remember, the weight of a pill will be more than the stated milligrams. This is because the pills have fillers and in some cases coatings.  So a 1mg tablet will weigh more than 1mg.

Once you have the average pill weight you would multiply the weight by 90% to get a 10% cut.  (You would multiply by 95% if you're reducing by 5%.) You would use a file or sharp knife to remove part of the pill until it weighs 90% of the total weight.  I'm not very mathematically inclined but I was motivated and double checked my figures multiple time as I tapered. 

Another option is to use a liquid formulation.  What country do you live in? If you are in the US, you can get a liquid from a compounding pharmacy.  

[Fo...]

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the detail. I’ve been going about this all wrong, though cut myself slack after learning more about the w/d from long term use even at .5mg. Not information I received from the 2 doctors I have worked with since 2016, though I raised concerns. Still, I have done more research on Amazon products prior to purchase than what long term benzo use could be doing to my brain and what discontinuation would entail. I very much appreciate your guidance. Thank you,

• Like 1

[Fo...]

Oh, live in US. Compare what I have been doing to being on a hamster wheel, running on and on, getting no where. 

[Br...]
2 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

Oh, live in US. Compare what I have been doing to being on a hamster wheel, running on and on, getting no where. 

You will get there.  I know it looks overwhelming-  like you're at the base of a huge mountain but step by step you will make it and one day this will be behind you.

Please be sure to read Success Stories - It's incredibly inspiring to read the stories of others who have been where you are and made it to the other side. 

[Fo...]

Thank you so much for encouragement and support. Yes, quite daunting and, while I wish I’d started before now, at least I am finally committed to what feels like jumping off a cliff. Will check out the success stories. Thank you, again.