Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

On approx 1-2mg (max) Xanax - questions: Rehab or taper?

[Bu...]
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted.  I just wanted to say how grateful I am to this forum.  I tried tapering a few years ago, I got myself to .75 a DAY of Xanax. Covid happened, had major stresses at work, and I am back up to about 1mg (2 mg at the absolute most) a day.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I take this so that I feel "normal" to prevent the withdrawal feelings.   I know that you can't cold turkey benzos and I have been on this for over a decade.  I want off this ride.

With that being said - I have tapered down before (2019-2020ish). Will it be harder this time because I have increased again?  Because I have been on it longer? 

Should I even bother tapering or should I try to see if I could get help from a rehab facility? Is that too dramatic for the dose I am on? 

Please be gentle with the responses. My anxiety is through the roof right now.  :(

Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by [Bu...]
clarity/anxious mistakes lol

[Re...]
2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I posted.  I just wanted to say how grateful I am to this forum.  I tried tapering a few years ago, I got myself to .75 a DAY of Xanax. Covid happened, had major stresses at work, and I am back up to about 1mg (2 mg at the absolute most) a day.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I take this so that I feel "normal" to prevent the withdrawal feelings.   I know that you can't cold turkey benzos and I have been on this for over a decade.  I want off this ride.

With that being said - I have tapered down before (2019-2020ish). Will it be harder this time because I have increased again?  Because I have been on it longer? 

Should I even bother tapering or should I try to see if I could get help from a rehab facility? Is that too dramatic for the dose I am on? 

Please be gentle with the responses. My anxiety is through the roof right now.  :(

Thank you so much in advance.

Many members report getting harmed by the rehab system. I was one of them. They rip people off benzos and then polydrug them which can cause more harm. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done a patient-led gradual (perhaps hyperbolic) taper.

[Bu...]

Thanks! I did see that as I read some more last night.  I’m going to stick with the taper and hope it’s not too bad.

I’m only worried because I’m not sure how much I’m taking daily.  

Thanks for your help!