Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What is the right probiotic to take?

[Jo...]

[Jo...]

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a specific probiotic to take when going through benzo withdrawal. The reason why I am asking is because I am starting to have really bad GI issues. I have see a lot of people benefit from taking probiotic but, I have also seen a few people get setbacks do to taking it. Is there specific strand I should take?

[Ha...]
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hi, I was just wondering if there is a specific probiotic to take when going through benzo withdrawal. The reason why I am asking is because I am starting to have really bad GI issues. I have see a lot of people benefit from taking probiotic but, I have also seen a few people get setbacks do to taking it. Is there specific strand I should take?

I've read one GI doctor saying that people with a very bad stomach and having reactions to foods etc, generally do better with Bifidobacterium as opposed to lactobacillus strains. The latter can be too stimulating for some. Also I would personally look for strains that aren't histamine producing. You may not have histamine issues, but better to play it safe IMHO. Probiotics have given me more relief than anything else, and some pretty bad reactions too, as I'm sure everything is gut related in my case.

My favourite for calming the gut is Bifidobacterium Bifdum. But we're all different, I did a microbiome test and it was a suggestion.

It's always advised to start by opening up the capsule and trying a small fraction to test your tolerance.

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Love 1

[Jo...]

@[Ha...],
Thank you for responding, do you know rather or not Align has Bifidobacterium in it? 

[Ha...]

There seems to be quite a few different align products. I've no personal experience, but it looks like they have Bifidobacterium in them yes

[Kr...]

I like Renew Life brand . They generally have every strain in their formulations. Health food stores carry them or Amazon, and the Vitamin Shoppe. Doodle them online and it will show you what stores near you carry it if you want to get it immediately