Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Broken Record: Need Reassurance Tinnitus Gets Better

[Sw...]

This is apparently an obsession for me. I just can’t get over this hurdle. My tinnitus is so unpredictable and so bad when it’s bad. Does this actually get better? I feel like I’m just fooling myself at this point. I don’t know what to do. 

• Love 1

[Th...]

Mine isn't improving either, I am starting to psych myself in to having to deal with this for the rest of my days. I totally feel your pain. 

[Le...]

if it varies through the day with abrupt changes the i really suggest you try working on front/side/back of neck and shoulder muscles. there is a big chance it will start helping after just a few days. 

[Re...]

@[Sw...] How long have you had it? If I didn't have it, I would be much better I think. Can't stand it and feel the same way that you do. This is a dealbreaker for me. I know someone it lasted two years then went, it's the only hope I have as I have had it since September of 2022. Almost 20 months....

I want to hear silence again.

• Like 1

[Sw...]
Posted (edited)

Hi @[Re...] I am sorry this is so miserable for you. I get it. I’ve had it altogether 6 years now. But don’t let that scare you. It was so mild before I just didn’t care at all about it. I hear it all the time now. I feel deafened by it half the time. Not my whole hearing but as if I can hear it no matter what I am doing, like it’s hi jacked a part of my hearing. It doesn’t make sense to me. I used to be able to just switch it off and do things but since this taper and withdrawal it has gotten worse actually. I thought i would see it improve over time. Im 6 months and 2 weeks.

What I can say to both you and @[Th...] is that after I originally got tinnitus years ago it did take me 3 years to habituate, but once I did habituate it was as good as not having it. Also I was in benzo tolerance for 2 of those years and had no idea until I quit benzos just to see if it would help my tinnitus and it did! This time it’s made it worse. What a life 

I don’t know what helps, for me was just time, but I’m definitely depressed that if it takes 2-3 years to accept this I am only 24% there. 

id be totally happy with life if this was even just a 2. I don’t need silence. Just less loud and intrusive tinnitus. I’m looking up if adhd might be making my perception of it worse

Edited by [Sw...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[Rh...]

Although I don’t have the “noise” part of tinnitus I suffer with whooshing and weird things with my ears. I’ve had it my whole benzo taper and then my whole AD taper and now 10 months off everything…so 8 years in total.  Mine had gotten better, to the point I don’t really notice it unless I’m in a bad wave, so I do think even after that many years you can still heal from it.

I think, like you, my biggest symptom that holds me back now and has increased since coming off is migraines and I constantly need reassurance they will leave…but like you, I feel I’m losing hope.

• Like 1

[Re...]
10 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hi @[Re...] I am sorry this is so miserable for you. I get it. I’ve had it altogether 6 years now. But don’t let that scare you. It was so mild before I just didn’t care at all about it. I hear it all the time now. I feel deafened by it half the time. Not my whole hearing but as if I can hear it no matter what I am doing, like it’s hi jacked a part of my hearing. It doesn’t make sense to me. I used to be able to just switch it off and do things but since this taper and withdrawal it has gotten worse actually. I thought i would see it improve over time. Im 6 months and 2 weeks.

What I can say to both you and @[Th...] is that after I originally got tinnitus years ago it did take me 3 years to habituate, but once I did habituate it was as good as not having it. Also I was in benzo tolerance for 2 of those years and had no idea until I quit benzos just to see if it would help my tinnitus and it did! This time it’s made it worse. What a life 

I don’t know what helps, for me was just time, but I’m definitely depressed that if it takes 2-3 years to accept this I am only 24% there. 

id be totally happy with life if this was even just a 2. I don’t need silence. Just less loud and intrusive tinnitus. I’m looking up if adhd might be making my perception of it worse

I am so sorry @[Sw...]. We are here for you. Did you have it before taking benzos and were you put on the benzos for it? Is this your second withdrawal? I only got it four days after abrupt cessation, did not have it before. It just erupted coming off. Mine sounds like a hiss. I think if I did not have the other symptoms it would be way more manageable. I know for many people coming off it gets louder. Some people it disappears. Others it comes and goes. Hard to know which category one will be in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
[Al...]

All of you who are waiting for relief..... how is the tinnitus now?  I'm 7 months off V (after many years of benzos) and the waves of T are bad bad bad.  I do get windows where I think I'm habituating but then something kicks it off, unpredictably.  Ive tried so hard to work with diet and exercise only to find that exercise is a trigger so I mainly walk.  Most triggers, if they really are that  .... seem to have no consistency.  Drying hair, lawn mowing, loud noises, sugar, caffeine ....  I cant put my finger on just one.  So tonight I'm having a bad night after a night of poor sleep.  My thoughts are fuzzy and im feeling morose.  I ask myself, is this really related to B withdrawal 7 months out?  I have no answers anymore just prayers for all of us fighting the good fight.

God bless.

[jo...]

Does it go up when your other symptoms are playing up? Mine does. This gives me confidence that it will go with the rest of them. ..eventually

[PE...]

My is much better 8 months out. From a high pitch screaming sound to a subtle noisy sound. I only think of it when reading about it, like now 😁.

This might sound awkward but i masked my tinnitus with the kitchen fan at it's worse. Just put it on highest level and put my head underneath. 

Turn up the tv or speakers/headphones and search for "your" best masking sound. I think it's very individual what works best.

[Al...]
On 06/06/2024 at 21:27, [[j...] said:

Does it go up when your other symptoms are playing up? Mine does. This gives me confidence that it will go with the rest of them. ..eventually

My tinnitus is my only symptom of note.  Im beginning to wonder if it's being cause by something else?  My sleep is better.  

[Al...]
On 06/06/2024 at 21:57, [[P...] said:

My is much better 8 months out. From a high pitch screaming sound to a subtle noisy sound. I only think of it when reading about it, like now 😁.

This might sound awkward but i masked my tinnitus with the kitchen fan at it's worse. Just put it on highest level and put my head underneath. 

Turn up the tv or speakers/headphones and search for "your" best masking sound. I think it's very individual what works best.

I keep the tv on and Alexa plays crickets all day and night.  I think Im seeing a cyclical trajectory of 1-2 days easy followed by abt 3 days loud.  I also don't live alone so I can't keep sounds up too loud.  Today is really bad.  Thanks for replying.

• Like 1

[Al...]
3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

how does your jaw feel alycat?

It does not hurt but when I have bad sxs then I may slightly tense my jaw.

[Le...]

google 7th cranial nerve massage and stretches for muscles in front of neck. stretches for all of neck and shoulders after that. 

It is really worth trying. 

I also recommend somatic therapies. google and try some yourself. may help reduce tension build up. 

• Like 1