Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Open Group  ·  496 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

5mg Fluoroquinolone?

[Pl...]

[Pl...]

Hi Everyone,

Cataract surgery next week and I need to use eye drops for a month that have 5mg of Fluoroquinolone them. 
Although I’m a finally having improved health after over 40yrs of benzos and a 3 yr micro slow taper, I’m scared. It will be 2 yrs. Benzo free next mo. I’m in my 70’s.

Would be so grateful for your thoughts. TIA.

Pluto

• Sad 1

[Ma...]

No! No, no, no-absolutely no!! I’m sure, actually positive, there is an alternative.

You risk getting floxed.

• Like 3

[Na...]

Talk to your doctor about this. Fluoroquinolones are problematic. On the other hand, this is a very small quantity that will mostly stay local to your eye, so it may not cause an issue. It would not be the same a taking fluoroquinolone tablets which will go systemic.

I had cataract surgery 4 years ago and my doctor prescribed antibiotic eyedrops (standard procedure for this surgery) but not a fluoroquinolone, so there definitely are alternatives.

But the last thing you would want to do is have the surgery, not use any antibiotics, and end up with an eye infection which can potentially have some pretty disastrous consequences. 

• Like 2

[Pl...]
4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

No! No, no, no-absolutely no!! I’m sure, actually positive, there is an alternative.

You risk getting floxed.

Thank you so much Mary. I am going to tell my Durand get alternative. I believe you’re right. Wow… “ floxed”…

• Like 1

[Pl...]

Thank you so much Nathan. I’m still so neurologically symptomatic I’m sure I’d get “floxed” as Mary put it.

I’m happy to know there’s an alternative to fluoros. Happy also that you were able to get the surgery without the fluoros. I also have MCS so am super sensitive to chemicals. If I didn’t have so many other health issues it might be different.

Thank you so much for sharing. I’m having major stress over the whole thing.

TY again.

Pluto

• Like 1

[Na...]
Posted (edited)

Yeah, I'd avoid if possible. 

As far as the cataract surgery - mine went fine. I developed rapidly progressing cataracts in both eyes within the first year of quitting. I went from "you have very good eyes at 49, your lens are very clear for your age" to "I'm damned near blind" four years later. I had started to notice the change in that first year post quitting - I'd get new eyeglasses but 6 months later I'd need a stronger prescription. I will of course always wonder if the drug had anything to do with it, but we will never know. Not everything is due to benzos or withdrawal. 

Post surgery was like a miracle. I could see everything. Every leaf on every tree. Even better, I had worn glasses due to being nearsighted since I turned 12. Being glasses free was wonderful. Being able to wake up in the middle of the night and see the clock without grabbing glasses off the nightstand was a minor miracle.

I opted for what is called "monovision" - where they make the non-dominate eye (left in my case) slightly nearsighted on purpose. The brain sort of figures out which eye to use depending on whether you are looking up close or far off. The result is I'm totally independent of using any sort of reading glasses. I have a pair around here somewhere but could not tell you the last time I used them.

Hopefully everything will go well and you'll be seeing better than you've seen in a long time. Good luck. (y)

Edited by [Na...]
  • Like 1

[Li...]

Hello, @[Pl...] 

Here’s a guide to eye drops from the American Academy of Ophthalmology:

Comprehensive Drop Guide - EyeWiki

Given your sensitivity to chemicals, how do you react to steroids?  Per this article from Good Rx, it sounds like some individuals are able to use NSAID drops in lieu of steroids if needed.

Which Eye Drops Should You Use After Cataract Surgery? - GoodRx

• Like 1

[Pl...]
4 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Yeah, I'd avoid if possible. 

As far as the cataract surgery - mine went fine. I developed rapidly progressing cataracts in both eyes within the first year of quitting. I went from "you have very good eyes at 49, your lens are very clear for your age" to "I'm damned near blind" four years later. I had started to notice the change in that first year post quitting - I'd get new eyeglasses but 6 months later I'd need a stronger prescription. I will of course always wonder if the drug had anything to do with it, but we will never know. Not everything is due to benzos or withdrawal. 

Post surgery was like a miracle. I could see everything. Every leaf on every tree. Even better, I had worn glasses due to being nearsighted since I turned 12. Being glasses free was wonderful. Being able to wake up in the middle of the night and see the clock without grabbing glasses off the nightstand was a minor miracle.

I opted for what is called "monovision" - where they make the non-dominate eye (left in my case) slightly nearsighted on purpose. The brain sort of figures out which eye to use depending on whether you are looking up close or far off. The result is I'm totally independent of using any sort of reading glasses. I have a pair around here somewhere but could not tell you the last time I used them.

Hopefully everything will go well and you'll be seeing better than you've seen in a long time. Good luck. (y)

Thank you for this Nathan. I’ve been needing this surgery many years so can’t wait. Actually can’t even imagine seeing again. I was over 40 yrs on A then K. Took 3 yr micro taper and in July it’s 2 yrs clean. Never imagined anything this hard. It’s taken me right to my knees. I pray everyday I get better. Thanks again.

[Pl...]

Thank you Libertas. Your links are wonderful! I’m so glad I’m learning the ingredients and function of the drops. Thanks so much!!

• Like 1

[Li...]
10 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Your link goes to this thread. :classic_wink:

:oops: 

Sharp eyes, @[Na...]! I’ve fixed it. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1