Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Did lithium helps in benzo induced neurological damage

[Ma...]

Hi Anyone has used lithium to regenerate the brain from withdrawal injury what is your experience please share me your experience did lithium helps with neuronal damage done by benzo 

[Re...]

Hello @[Ma...]! Although I have no direct experience, as I read it in the online Communities, there seems to be no medication to help everyone when it comes to benzodiazepine withdrawal, or benzo injury. It rather seems to be a waiting game I believe.

I personally can't take anything that would affect my mood or cognition. Makes my symptoms only worse. 

[or...]

@[Ma...] I took lithium for a couple of years for a psychiatric condition, and can tell you that I hated it. It flattened my emotions, and made me feel like a zombie. (And didn't help my BPD which I didn't have). I haven't read anything about it helping the brain regenerate, but I'd sure research this if I were you and was planning to take it for that purpose. I agree with @[Re...]. We just have to wait and our brains will "fix" themselves.

• Like 1

[Ma...]

No. Nothing heals your GABA receptors other than time and patience. And throwing more neurotoxins and your injured CNS is just going to make it angrier. And Lithium? Who suggested that? Have you researched what it can do to the brain?

To help support your healing and lessen side effects, exercise and diet are crucial. You will also build your own tool box from breathing exercises, distraction, warm baths, weighted blankets, yoga and etc…

Distraction is paramount. Just distract, distract and distract again.

• Like 1

Someone I know was prescribed lithium for this reason about a year ago, as far as I can see his symptoms are only getting worse, he's developed aggression on top of the physical symptoms. Also they require him to have bloodwork done every two weeks to check how it's affecting him. So I really don't think it's repairing anything, quite the opposite and it all sounds dangerous.

I agree that only time helps you heal, not adding more drugs to your cns.

[re...]

No medication will help you in this. Just extreme lifestyle changes and TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put your energy and time into looking into these lifestyle changes and the studies behind them. It will go a long way while you are healing.