Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does Exposure Therapy Work during W/D

Hi BB...

Have any of you found 'exposure therapy' to be helpful in coping with symptoms?  I have really been pushing myself for the past two months as I have so much going on for the rest of the summer.  I feel horrible but I do things anyway as I don't want the 'shock' of all the company and trips I have to take to be a surprise.  I have read many posts by people who are alone and HAVE to do things for themselves...they seem to have an easier time coping with symptoms as there is no one around to do things for them.  Yesterday was the first day I did not do anything but sit around and last night was unbearable...woke up all night long with adrenaline rushes inbetween nightmares that made me nauseous.  So...I guess there is no rhyme or reason for an escalation of symptoms and 'exposing' myself to uncomfortable situations may or may not make things worse???

I have stayed at .5 mgs V for a month now as if I continued my tapering plan I would have hopped off just as my company is coming.  I know I am in tolerance w/d but the fear that I will get worse is overwhelming...have not seen my grandchildren or sons in two years because of this.

Any of you find that slogging through the difficult yet ordinary elements of every day life help, depsite the symptoms?

Donna

i'm pretty new at this - but not new at life and i would have to agree with you.  i have to take care of things or they won't get done and i feel good that i get them done.  i am pushing myself out so i have exposure to things;  did not know the word for it.  distraction is the key.  i think u r doing great.  thank goodness.  pan  -oh - one good thing is how thankful we will be for normalcy, right!

I worked during withdrawals, and for as much as I hated it, I'm glad I could, it was a distraction and it forced me out.  I got so I dreaded the weekends because they seemed endless, even though I tried to keep busy with home projects.  So I have to agree that keeping busy, living your life as actively as you can is a good way to get through this.

"Exposure therapy" was the only way I found to get out of the house and go to the grocery.  Being able to do those things made me feel better about myself and gave me the confidence to do a few other things outside my comfort zone (which was a pretty small zone at that time).  I think it's empowering.

Thanks Beeper and Pam - u guys give me hope.  when i can i'm going to take a course - get a new degree in something

Panther- You can do it! It took me forever but I got a master's degree while (unknowingly) in tolerance withdrawal. It took double the time, and probably quadruple the energy, than it would have if I had been healthy, but I finally got it!! The sense of accomplishment is amazing. Go for it!

I also have worked full-time throughout this whole ordeal, and agree with others that as much as it sucks at the time, it is good if one can manage it. As exhausted as I am, I know I am so much better than if I weren't forced to work. I am pretty much forced into a place of acceptance, which is what helps me the most. However, I absolutely know there are people who are too ill to work during withdrawal. It has nothing to do with strength of character, but is just simply based on strength of symptoms.

I pushed myself really hard the other day and did a 40 mile bike ride before working a 9 hour shift. I've never ridden that far, let alone on a work day. But the sun was amazing, I was in good company and getting some exercise, and feeling more like my old self...it all goes a long way toward healing the trauma that has happened to us all. Of course I'm sore and tired now, but it was worth it.  :yippee:

Libby

Thank you all for your replies.  I guess I now refuse to spend my days sitting in a chair staring into space. It hard and I am so impressed with those of you who have been able to keep your jobs during this nightmare.  I could have never done it.

Thanks again

Donna