Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need help-jetlag and sleep

I was sleeping well with Ativan and had to fly west for ten days. I stuck to the same times for dosing and sleep remained good.

Ever since I returned home after the long haul flight,  my sleep is all over the place. Ativan time is the same as per local clock. 

I'm either up all night and sleeping from 8am onwards or nights like today where I slept 3 hours and awake at 1am.

What can i do to reset my sleep hours?

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

When you said you stuck with same dosing times you meant you dosed at the same time biologically as your local time?

So if the west location was 2 hours behind... if you dosed at 8pm locally you were sure to dose at 6pm out west? If so I hope you also went to bed according to your normal home location time.

Did you also stick to your sleep schedule acording to your original time zone? I experienced jetlag before when I returned to the east coast US from Hawaii. It took about a month for my sleep to go back to normal since Hawaii was 5 hours behind my time zone. If I normally went to bed at 10pm then I should have gone to sleep at 5pm while in Hawaii but no one wants to go to bed that early during vacation.

Edited by [Cr...]

My night dose is 830pm and bedtime 11pm. I just stuck to those throughout. There were events to attend and family to meet so I could not have played around much with the timings.

Time difference is about 12 hours.

I am severely sleep deprived. Feeling horrendous. 5 nights piled up. Took 3mg melatonin an hour ago at 11am. But it's not doing anything I think.

Slept 2.5hrs after melatonin. Was thankful for it but it was uncomfortable, kept feeling I was sinking into some depths. Along with hypnic jerks. How is one to recover?? I'm scared

[Cr...]

Jetlag takes some time to rectify. You sleep will improve over the next coming weeks and possibly days. Your sleep will return to what it was before you made this trip. 

Sleep is one of the few things that gives people im withdrawal a respite from their symptoms, so I can understand how frustrating this is for you.

Keep me updated on your sleep progress.

• Like 1

I tried half tab of mirtazapine one night ie 7.5mg. Slept but wake up quality was bad and I read on here that it's addictive. So, moved on to melatonin 3mg next night(I am taking these only if i wake up at midnight, otherwise hoping my ativan alone will start working and allow me to sleep well)

The melatonin kept me asleep till almost 2pm. And then I had to take my afternoon dose of ativan. So tonight, I plan to take only half a tablet if i wake up at midnight.

@[Cr...], what are your thoughts?

[Cr...]

@[...]

How long have you been trying melatonin? Sometimes smaller doses work better than larger doses. 1 or 2mg may end up working better for you.

Just be sure to only use it a couple nights in a row and then take a break for a few days.

[Kr...]
6 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Sometimes smaller doses work better than larger doses

Can you explain this?

I used it twice. I fortunately slept all night yday with just my usual dose of ativan. Hope this is the reset.