Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

ok here goes

[jo...]

hi my name is joe......................and im an addict.

or at least i think i am.... it all started in 2007 when i just started using xanax recreationally.. lol i fell in love with it bc it helped me talk to girls... so i started using it 1 mg a week,

by 2008 i was taking about 1-5mgs a day (somedays i would take 5mg and somedays i would just take a bar and call it a day) but since 2010 and now, i've kinda tapered myself down to about 1.5 mg's a day AT MAX. but i'm having a really really really hard time to get off the medicine..COMPLETELY. the only thing that really helps me stay off the drug is... marijuana... but living in georgia it makes it kind of hard to smoke regularly without getting busted...  what is the best way to just stop thinking about taking that bar...  and also took it for speech class.... if i didn't have xanax when doing a speech i felt like i could bust out and have a seizure or something...  scared to go to the doctor to tell him all this he might just think i'm a druggy trying to get some kind of medicine..  any help would help, i guess....i don't know, i just feel like i have to surround myself with people that are going thru the same problem to have help remind me that in the end this drug could end up killing me...

Hi, Joe, and welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You are the second person in 5 minutes to join wanting to quit Xanax!  We've had many members over the years successfully taper off of it so I feel sure we can help you, too.  You can read a brief description of the three main withdrawal methods under "Withdrawal Methods" at the top of the page.

I hope you will talk to your prescribing doctor about your desire to taper off of it.  A doctor's support can be crucial if only for getting prescription refills necessary for a slow taper.  We don't condone the use of illegal drugs to help with withdrawal from benzos ( ie pot) but rather promote learning new coping skills.  There are a lot of good suggestions on the Anxiety Board when you have time to poke around a bit.  I spent nearly 20 years using a benzo to alleviate my nervousness and it ultimately ended up causing more of the very crud I was taking it to avoid.  It took a while to learn other ways of dealing with excess anxiety and I still have to work at it sometimes, but I am so glad not to be dependent on a drug for my functioning.  Sound good to you?

omgosh yes i can totally relate... and thank you so much for responding so fast, it has already have given me a positive outlook and will be able to sleep better tonight knowing others have gone through this and have made it out clean! again thank you... - joe

Hi joeyuuu, welcome to BenzoBuddies

I'm glad you found us before you quit, as xanax is a drug you should definitely taper slowly from. I hope your doctor will work with you on this, better yet, if you can get him to prescribe a longer acting benzo like valium or even Klonopin to wean from. Whatever you decide, we're here for you. Please ask any questions you have.

Star

Welcome aboard Joey!  :yippee:

This Forum has a lot of very useful information that will help you get through the madness. The support you will get from BB's and is priceless.

Take care,

Lida