Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Protracted withdrawal and fevers? Support?

[Ho...]

Hello All,

I have been tapering with Valium to address CNS damage following a 5 day rapid taper off Clonazepam after 10 years of daily use (.5mg-1mg daily). The fast taper caused a lot of damage and my system was in shock for a few weeks. So far reintroducing Valium has helped me a lot with many of my withdrawal symptoms most notably reduced insomnia, tinnitus,  and debilitating morning rebound anxiety but I still keep getting these debilitating fevers or flashes of heat that seem to last for hours until I take the next dose of Valium. Feels like my insides are boiling. When I take my temperature it always says 98.6 or at most 99.1 so it doesn’t seem to be an actual fever. Has anyone had this as a side effect at any point during either their taper or general withdrawal? If so, is there a particular medication or supplement that has helped with this? Sometimes I take ibuprofen as though I have an actual fever and it helps a bit but reading the Ashton Manual and other resources they don’t recommend to do that. Curious if anyone else has experienced this bizarre symptom and what may help as I have not seen much written about false fever like symptoms beyond body aches (which I also have) particularly when rebound is spiking. My doc has recommended low dose naltrexone for potential inflammation but I’m not sure if that’s what’s causing this. Appreciate any thoughts or advice here? 

[Le...]

i had that for a year or so but it would pass at times. i think it was related to yeast overgrowth because it went away with the thrush as i recovered. 

[Ma...]

I believe it’s quite common. Rotating ice packs and Tylenol help-Ashton and other sources (including mine) are just suggestions.

LDN can be extremely helpful for a lot of things in addition to inflammation. It helps relieve pain and produces endorphins which give you an overall sense of wellbeing. It’s not a psychiatric medication so does not affect the brain or any receptors. Also, at such low doses (staring at .5 usually) there’s no side effects.

I encourage you to do a search here as there is 1 thread with dozens of pages.

[Le...]

ever try lifestyle things that you can manage to reduce inflammation?  I did lots with diet and the exercise I could. 

[Mb...]

I've had this false fever going on 512 days straight. When I was still on benzos I found it would really ramp up before next dose, one time it disappeared seconds after I took the dose, making me feel like maybe this was all in my head. Now it doesn't keep me stuck to the bed like day one of the worst flu of your life does but it's with me all the time and it's a really bad symptom. Now that I've been off benzos a few days away from a year there's nothing to calm it down it just gets to have its way. I do notice if I have to push myself and go somewhere for the one time a month I do it's always at its worse, its also at day 1 levels if I dont sleep much. I'd love to hear if you find help with anything for this one.

[Le...]

I am fairly certain this is from the inflammation. Lots of things arent working right and you body is coping with a lot. I tried to use time release aspirin but it gave me lots of bruising though it did give relief too. likely any antiinflammatory would. I then looked for other options and started tumeric, low carb antiinflammatory diet. I think it helped but it is hard to be certain because anyone would likely feel better from that. I think it will go away but only as the things causing inflammation go away.  Diet is g a good thing to focus on either way. It would speed up anyones recovery. 

[us...]
Posted (edited)

Hello @[Ho...], I had this symptom, it's much better now than it used to be..I was told it wasn't withdrawal when I posted about it, my skin felt like I was sitting in the oven and my insides were burning..My temperature was 98.6 F but felt like a terrible fever, it was so strange and sometimes it was 99.1 F like yours.. I did every test imaginable, went to a lot of doctors because I was so scared that I have some terrible disease and nothing came up..now I'm feeling so much better after 6 months

Edited by [us...]

I’m currently dealing with this. Everyday I wake up and it feels like the flu. Not sure if it’s MCAS or WD. 10 weeks off lorazepam. My neck felt SO HOT today. I’m debating going in to make sure it isn’t anything more life threatening. 

@[us...] when did you feel this lift? It’s torture.

@[He...] for me it was 6 months, how long did you use lorazepam? Do you have slight fever in the morning or you just feel hot? Every morning I would wake up with a burning brain, hot skin without temperature is common in withdrawal, I quit in November and my skin felt like yours, hot neck, hot chest and I even had a burning scalp, like my scalp was on fire.

Edited by [us...]

@[us...] I used lorazepam 1-2 a month then increase to 1-2 a week for about a year after a harsh magnetic lyme treatment.

I just woke up and my head, neck and back are burning. Ears are staticky. Right eye a little blurry. Neck is stiff and hot. It feels like I have a fever but if I check it, it’ll be normal or 99 at most. Gut hurts too, not sure if you had that.

This has happened to me this past year off and on but I may have been experiencing inter-dose WD. I’m just trying to make sense of all this in hopes of healing. Thank you for your time frame.