Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering From 0.5 per day of Loraz/Ativan after 15 months

[De...]

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some input from others and develop a thread to chat with anyone in a similar spot.

I've been using 0.5 of ativan first thing in the morning for 15 months.  I also take 20mg of Citalopram.  I started the Ativan to reduce the side effects from starting Citalopram.  I started the Citalopram because I was having panic attacks and had insomnia.

One month ago I started tapering using a liquid taper, dropping 1% every day.

I'm now down to 68% of a 0.5 in the morning.  I think I'll continue at this pace.

I do have rough stretches but I honestly can't tell if this is my underlying anxiety or withdrawal from Ativan.  I feel great for 10 days and then have 3 or 4 day blips.

My question for anyone who might have a thought is this:

I'm always better later in the day.  Evenings I feel 100%.  Afternoons really good.  Mornings pretty bad.  This means that I actually feel my worst closer to when I have taken the Ativan.  I know the morning anxiety is just how my anxiety works due to cortisol/adrenaline.  But if I always feel best at night when I have the least amount of Ativan in my system that means that I'm not getting any inter-dose withdrawal.  Wouldn't that mean that I'm not physically dependent on the drug?

Thanks for any input.  

[Re...]

Hello @[De...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It is so good to see your dedication to stop benzodiazepines! 

You mention quite a few things in your post. 

The general recommended reduction rate is about 5-10% every two or three weeks, some people decide to taper even slower. You have reduced a bit fast in my opinion after extended use, that might explain the increased symptoms you have been describing. 

During our withdrawal from benzodiazepines, our members quite often experience "windows" and "waves". During a window, our symptoms tend to ease a bit, but in contrast, during a wave, we are hit by them. The Ashton manual refers to these as well. That might be an answer to the better and worse days, as you mention. 

It is so interesting, that getting closer to the evening many of us almost feel normal, our physical and psychological symptoms tend to get way better, it is a very common experience during benzo withdrawal. 

Interdose withdrawal and withdrawal (from rapid cessation) often presents with feeling worse in the morning. Both might contribute to these sensations, I remember as I have been suffering from both. 

I believe, that what you detail in your post might be caused by reducing a bit fast.

Have you considered holding your dose and then tapering later a bit slower? Do you think this could benefit you? 

Take care, 

RR

[ns...]

How long have you been on the celexa and what time of day do you take it?

As for the Ativan wd, benzos are very addictive and I'm sure you're experiencing wd symptoms. Chemical addiction is typical for benzos and affects the gaba in our brain and our cns. 

You've been taking them for quite some time. It's good you are tapering. 

I was on celexa for yrs. It is a terrible drug. Its not for anxiety but depression, its an ssri.

The two, Ativan and Celexa don't mix. I tapered off of cejexa 5 yrs ago, it was a long drawn out process and very difficult. I'm glad you're tapering the Ativan, hopefully you can eventually go off the celexa as well.

I'm think the cejexa is probably what's causing y9ur ups and downs depending on when you take it.

You might need to adjust your taper around your celexa. Your doctor should help you with this.

Take care. Ns

[De...]

Reuben,

Thank you for the reply.  I think I will slow the taper down.  I thought that since I was on the smallest dose possible per day (just a single 0.5 pill) that I would be able to stop quite easily.

I honestly can't tell what would be withdrawal symptoms and what is just the anxiety that I've been struggling to beat.  I've progressively improved over the past 15 months to the point where I can feel pretty great for a couple of weeks before having a blip for a few days.

Thanks again.