Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Valium Taper

[Ju...]

Ashton's taper looks faster than what I have seen with some on here. I am a long time user and would appreciated input. I am crossing over and will hopefully be at 40 mgs valium in a few weeks (have only switched night dose in the past four days), but am going to a psych hopefully in the nest day or two and will need to explain what I need to do. Any suggestions on tapering 40 mgs Valium for a long time user? 7 year user now porbably.

Hi there...I just responded to your other thread...I was a 3 year user of Clonazepam and crossed to Diazepam (Valium).  I have tapered at a rate of 1mg per 7 days, and then once i got down to 4mgs I changed it to .5mg every 5 days.  I don't know if it's too quick...I've had s/x throughout the entire thing...but I've also had a lot of great days that others don't seem to get who go much slower than me.  So it's hard to say.  I find tapering is SO individualized.  Go w/ your gut feeling.  I've been successful at this rate...not symptom free AT ALL...but I've stuck w/ it and I'm almost done.  You'll find what works for you...trust me.  Don't let people tell you you're going too fast or too slow, etc.  Many have told me I'm going too fast, and I know they mean well.  But I've done what is right for me. 

It will come for you...you'll find a schedule that works....and keep in mind Dr. Ashton has done this for a LONG time, so in my opinion she knows what she is talking about....but it doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone. 

All the best to you...take care,

Schatje

[e8...]

Schatje is correct.. everyone is different.

I started out on 45mg of Valium. My first cut was 5mg, so from 45mg to 40mg, after that I went to 38mg, then started .5mg every 7 days until around 35mg, then I started .5mg every other week, it depended on how I felt.

With valium, you really have to watch it because it is eliminated so slowly, but the cuts catch up.. so there really is no time limit IMO.