Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Does anyone have an easy taper story?

[Br...]

So I ran out of medication, xanax 0.5mg, I never took to every day. I probably took it about every other day, or when I have to work night shift. I went 5 days without anything. I started to feel so weird. I started having severe panic attacks, my back, shoulder blade, neck, right ear and right temple hurt so bad. It’s like an excruciating migraine, this has happened before but I didn’t even connect the dots. My hands and feet were cramping and I felt like I had a sinus infection. Again, I have felt like this before, not connecting that I had run out of medication and just asssumed I had hurt myself at work or had a sinus infection. Now I know what’s happening, and I want off this garbage. I sent an email to my psychiatrist, so I could switch over to klonipin and taper from a longer acting benzo, I’ve read this is a good idea. Obviously everyone on here possibly has a different opinion, but what do you guys think? I’ve been through alcohol, opiate and nitrous withdrawal. Yes, nitrous withdrawal, it landed me in the psych ward, I had no idea what I was doing and was found sitting on a golf course in the snow. I would a big container of nitrous a day for 6 months, really not smart and not sure why I even started it. I just stopped not thinking anything about it, I started having seizures, blacking out, memory loss, it was taking me like 5 seconds to even remember what my name was. I went to the ER because I thought I was dehydrated, my electrolytes were all off. so should have known it was more than dehydration. So long story short, I wa blacking out, got in several car accidents, had psychosis all from nitrous. I’m not looking forward to this taper but I will go as slow as I possible can. Please any advice and prayers would be amazing!

[Re...]

Hello  @[Br...],Welcome to BenzoBuddies, 

We are glad you joined us! I'm so sorry, what you have been experiencing is consistent with the symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal. I understand you have"experience* with other substances, but this one is definitely different. 

The recommended taper speed is 5-10% of your previous dose every two or three weeks, some people go even slower (general tapering info here). 

Yes, some people switch to longer acting benzodiazepines, some effectively taper off xanax. Hopefully, switching to a longer acting benzodiazepine will prevent you from having interdose withdrawal. 

We are all different, theoretically it is better to switch to a longer acting medication (it is usually Valium (diazepam) though), but some people have difficulties with this switch. I recommend you to speak abut this with your therapist, and have more options open. The Ashton manual has a lot of information about tapering and benzo withdrawal in general. 

We have a lot of members who are out there living life, indeed. A slow, symptom led taper will most likely prevent severe withdrawal symptoms and difficulties after jumping. 

Please let us know how we can support you, 

Take care 

RR

[Br...]
1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

Hello  @[Br...],Welcome to BenzoBuddies, 

We are glad you joined us! I'm so sorry, what you have been experiencing is consistent with the symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal. I understand you have"experience* with other substances, but this one is definitely different. 

The recommended taper speed is 5-10% of your previous dose every two or three weeks, some people go even slower (general tapering info here). 

Yes, some people switch to longer acting benzodiazepines, some effectively taper off xanax. Hopefully, switching to a longer acting benzodiazepine will prevent you from having interdose withdrawal. 

We are all different, theoretically it is better to switch to a longer acting medication (it is usually Valium (diazepam) though), but some people have difficulties with this switch. I recommend you to speak abut this with your therapist, and have more options open. The Ashton manual has a lot of information about tapering and benzo withdrawal in general. 

We have a lot of members who are out there living life, indeed. A slow, symptom led taper will most likely prevent severe withdrawal symptoms and difficulties after jumping. 

Please let us know how we can support you, 

Take care 

RR

Thank you so much for your advice! I’m praying that I will still be able to work and take care of my kids. I’m definitely going to go very slow. I know this is way different but when I came off antidepressants, effexor and lexapro together, it took me almost 2 years because I went so slow. I had previously come off paxil and had wild brain zaps and all sort of crazy symptoms. I will definitely take my time coming of a benzo, It’s driving me crazy that i’m already worrying about it, but I will take my time. If so have to stay at one dose for a while that’s fine, just as long as I finally achieve my goal of being benzo free! Thank you again for your kind words and encouragement! ❤️