Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tapering off Xanax

[Nu...]

I am 66f and have taken Xanax for sleep for 15 years. Since July, 2023, I have tapered from 1.5mg to .5 mg. I'm using the water method. I have constant interdose withdrawals, including tingling, fatigue, insomnia, anhedonia, depression and I'm losing my hair. I went to a psychiatrist to try to switch to Valium but he wants to do a direct switch with no crossover. I have decided to stick with Xanax, even though I feel awful. Would it make any difference to divide my doses throughout the day? I think my body already wants more and not sure dividing the dosage will make any difference. I also get 3 to 5 hours of sleep at night and am concerned that if I take less at night that I won't sleep at all. Thank you.

[Re...]

Hello @[Nu...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Congratulations for tapering off 1 mg of xanax already, that is a huge accomplishment!! 

I am really sorry for what you are going through, I know these symptoms very well as I was on that medication for 12 years and had severe interdose withdrawals without me realizing it. 

I, too, tried to switch to dosing twice daily but my body did not take it well, I had to take my whole dose once a day in the morning. Knowing what I know now, I would probably hold my taper for a while and try to switch only a small proportion of the dose to a different time of a day and see how my body reacts. I believe we need to do these changes with real caution as the taper sensitizes our CNS. 

Many of our members taper directly off xanax very successfully as I read here, switching to Valium has its own difficulties sometimes. 

I am certain our Buddies will soon share their thoughts, too. 

Take care @[Nu...]

RR

Hi,

First off, congratulations on getting off 1 mg of Xanax also. I have been on 1.5 mg at bedtime since 2015.

I got on it from the advice received from my counselor because I was a caregiver to my mom with dementia and couldn't sleep.

I won't bore you with the rest of my story. It's in my profile somewhere on here. I too get interdose withdrawals and I've found every excuse in the book not to begin. I'll be 69 next week and I want to be off this poison by 70.

This place is an awesome forum to get advice from real people who have been in the trenches getting off. I wish you nothing but the best and all I know from what I've read about tapering is "slow and steady wins the race." I'm seeing my Cardiologist next week, (the only doctor I trust) and discuss my situation with him. Again, keep us informed on how your doing. Take care.

[My...]

Hi nurse knickers and others. I too was on Xanax for many years for sleep. When it stopped working another md put me on 2 XR Xanax. I tapered to 1.5 but had withdrawal symptoms. I changed doctors and went to a psychiatrist who switched me to Valium after showing him the Ashton Manual. I have tapered from 20 mg down to 6 mg in 2 months and found this to be way easier than the Xanax. Less withdrawl symptoms. I will continue to taper .5 milligrams a week and look forward to being off this benzo!   Mystique 1. 

[My...]
Just now, [[M...] said:

Hi nurse knickers and others. I too was on Xanax for many years for sleep. When it stopped working another md put me on 2 XR Xanax. I tapered to 1.5 but had withdrawal symptoms. I changed doctors and went to a psychiatrist who switched me to Valium after showing him the Ashton Manual. I have tapered from 20 mg down to 6 mg in 2 months and found this to be way easier than the Xanax. Less withdrawl symptoms. I will continue to taper .5 milligrams a week and look forward to being off this benzo!   Mystique 1. 

I too am a female, 68 years old.