Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What did you wish you knew before/mid taper?

I do not know if there's a thread like this on here already.

What do you wish you knew before or mid your taper that would have helped you? Anything like dosage, speed, cross taper, doctor advise, support systems, use or not of supplements or other adjuvant medication, managing other existing or new health issues, coping techniques. Faith,  anything else you would like to share a word about?

For me, I wish I knew that antibiotics of the flourquinone family were to be avoided. That's what lead to my ativan party crashing!

• Like 1

[Ka...]

Hello @[...] Oh - it was those antibiotics that set this all off with ativan. Such a small but significant thing. 

For me, I was a complete novice & had zero knowledge before & whilst tapering. Pretty stupid thinking back. But I entrusted care to those prescribing & thought they knew best. I was sent a letter with 2 tapering schedules - one vaguely moderate & one fast. I tried the moderate one but got stuck. The crucial part missing was any mention of the Ashton manual which I came across much later. That would have helped enormously. 
2nd eye opener is how prescribers effectively walk away, minimising impact of chronic harm, seemingly oblivious to wd symptoms - & to add insult to injury directed me to an NHS addiction clinic! 

• Like 2

[Re...]

I wish I read BenzoBuddies very thoroughly and listened to the advice before starting my taper, but that did not happen. It would have saved me from incredible amount of discomfort and I would not have lost so much from my life.

• Like 2

@[Re...], sorry to tag you again,  but which advise do you wish you had paid attention to? Especially since you think it could have helped you a lot for the better? Pls take your time responding. 

Asking since it can help me as well as others tremendously.

[La...]

1 I wish I knew how bad this really is, even with tapering

2 I wish I did larger cuts at first and smaller cuts and longer holds at smaller doses. I cut slowly at higher doses and too fast at smaller doses, which is exactly the opposite of what you should do

• Like 1