Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Gabapentin and dizziness/lightheaded?

[Li...]

[Li...]

I have been off my V since the beginning of the year and a few weeks ago I started to decrease the gabapentin that I was on.  I was only taking 300 mgs at night before bed.  I first went down to 200 mg for a while and about 1.5 weeks ago I dropped to 100 mgs.  Ever since my last decrease I al soooooo  dizzy all the time.  It never lets up.  It is really bad today.  Have any of you experienced this?  I would have stayed home from work and taken some meclizine but I couldn't miss work.  ugh..  :(

Lisa

• Like 1

[kn...]

I’ve tried to take Gabapentin three times during my taper. The med is like a miracle drug. It knocks out the tremors and weakness in my legs in record time. However, each time I’ve tried , both at 300 and then at 100 mgs, I’ ve become so sick from from dizziness and nausea that I’ve had to give it up. The WD effects have been just as bad or worse than the benzos. More vertigo. More nausea. More dizziness. Good news is that symptoms didn’t last as long. Mind that each time, I gave up about 3 weeks into it and lowered the dosage everytime. I stuck it out and things eventually subsided, but it was a killer

[Li...]
56 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

I’ve tried to take Gabapentin three times during my taper. The med is like a miracle drug. It knocks out the tremors and weakness in my legs in record time. However, each time I’ve tried , both at 300 and then at 100 mgs, I’ ve become so sick from from dizziness and nausea that I’ve had to give it up. The WD effects have been just as bad or worse than the benzos. More vertigo. More nausea. More dizziness. Good news is that symptoms didn’t last as long. Mind that each time, I gave up about 3 weeks into it and lowered the dosage everytime. I stuck it out and things eventually subsided, but it was a killer

During my taper it helped a little bit with withdrawal symptoms and helped me sleep.  I have been on it for about 2.5 years on this low dose.  I can't wait to be free from all this crap.  

• Like 2

[Re...]

@[Li...] I am sorry you are having issues after dropping the gabapentin. Have you considered waiting a little and later tapering the gabapentin from a stable dose? Some say they are better to get off than benzos, some have difficulties. You made a pretty significant drop in your dose in a short time, after 2,5 years. I mean, I understand that you are impatient to be free from all this, but if you aren't feeling good, why rush it? You have only recently stopped your Valium taper.

Just thinking out loud.

[Li...]
3 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

@[Li...] I am sorry you are having issues after dropping the gabapentin. Have you considered waiting a little and later tapering the gabapentin from a stable dose? Some say they are better to get off than benzos, some have difficulties. You made a pretty significant drop in your dose in a short time, after 2,5 years. I mean, I understand that you are impatient to be free from all this, but if you aren't feeling good, why rush it? You have only recently stopped your Valium taper.

Just thinking out loud.

Thank you...  I know I get in a hurry.  If I don't start leveling out soon I may consider going back up to 200 mgs.  When I dropped from 300 to 200 I didn't have this dizziness.  I had a slight headache for about a week.   And since after that week I felt pretty decent I decided to drop.   I wonder if gabapentin can be prescribed in increments of 50 mgs in stead of 100?  I completely get where you are coming from....  I'm just so anxious to be off.  :)

• 5 months later...
On 08/04/2024 at 08:49, [[L...] said:

Thank you...  I know I get in a hurry.  If I don't start leveling out soon I may consider going back up to 200 mgs.  When I dropped from 300 to 200 I didn't have this dizziness.  I had a slight headache for about a week.   And since after that week I felt pretty decent I decided to drop.   I wonder if gabapentin can be prescribed in increments of 50 mgs in stead of 100?  I completely get where you are coming from....  I'm just so anxious to be off. 

Any updates?