Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

REading

[Ho...]

Does anyone on here like to read?  I do--voracious reader to be exact lol:)  I love just about anything--romance, fiction, and non-fiction.  I have an e-reader that I bought last August--a KOBO one from Chapters-Indigo here in Canada and I love it.

I've been on a real reading tear lately, HockeyGal.  Last night I finished "Shanghai Girls" and read "You Had Me At Woof".  Mine are mostly from the library; don't have an ereader yet.  What are you reading these days? 

[e7...]

I. too like reading.

It passes time.

I love Bram Stoker's Dracula, can never get enough of it.

I like reading if I can concentrate/ focus for long enough to get into the book.

Cultural Amnesia, Clive James

Life, Keith Richards

Book By Book, Michael Dirda

Somewhere Down A Crazy River, Robyn Catchlove

I read everyday, always at bedtime. Right now I'm reading a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury, have been reading a lot of short stories lately. As far as novels I've read all of Jonathan Kellerman's books and have read three Brian Freeman books which were all good.

Jeff M.

The way Truman Capote captured the essence of the characters while writing, "In Cold Blood", I thought, was brilliant.

I've been on a real reading tear lately, HockeyGal.  Last night I finished "Shanghai Girls" and read "You Had Me At Woof".  Mine are mostly from the library; don't have an ereader yet.  What are you reading these days? 

I am reading a lot of Debbie MacComber--just finished the Cedar Cove Series and starting the Blossom Street one now.

Marthakicks.. I read "Shantaram" :) quite a few years ago now when it was recommended to me by a very smart lady in my philosophy class. She thought it was a brilliant book.

"Shantaram" or Gregory David Roberts, is an Australian, & it starts off when he escaped in broad daylight, over a wall of a gaol in Melbourne ,then visits a philosophy professor. The book goes on to tell of his subsequent adventures in India. He had had addiction problems.

I love to read, mostly the classics. Vladimir Nabokov is my favorite author.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep my mind concentrated on anything long for a couple of years.

I did read Treasure Island this week and enjoyed it.

For the last, year before joining benzo withdrawal support forums I spent hours on news and political sites. I have cut way down on that because, well, it gets a little overwhelming.

I love to read, mostly the classics. Vladimir Nabokov is my favorite author.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep my mind concentrated on anything long for a couple of years.

I did read Treasure Island this week and enjoyed it.

For the last, year before joining benzo withdrawal support forums I spent hours on news and political sites. I have cut way down on that because, well, it gets a little overwhelming.

I like to read those things too! :)  I am a new junkie lol

[32...]

Marthakicks.. I read "Shantaram" :) quite a few years ago now when it was recommended to me by a very smart lady in my philosophy class. She thought it was a brilliant book.

"Shantaram" or Gregory David Roberts, is an Australian, & it starts off when he escaped in broad daylight, over a wall of a gaol in Melbourne ,then visits a philosophy professor. The book goes on to tell of his subsequent adventures in India. He had had addiction problems.

Ah!  A fellow reader of Shantaram, my excitement can't be contained!  It is a brilliant book, indeed!  Sincerely, one of the best.  If one can get past it's daunting size, they are in for the ride of a lifetime!  Nearly 1,000 pages and it left me wanting 1,000 more.

This is how the story begins:

'It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choice we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured. I realised, somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in that shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me, or to forgive them. It doesn't sound like much, I know. But in that flinch and bite of the chain, when it's all you've got, that freedom is a universe of possibility. And the choice you make, between hating and forgiving, can become the story of your life.

In my case, it's a long story, and a crowded one. I was a revolutionary who lost his ideals in heroin, a philosopher who lost his integrity in crime, and a poet who lost his soul in a maximum-security prison. When I escaped from prison, over the front wall, between two gun-towers, I became my country's most wanted man. Luck ran with me and flew with me across to India, where I joined the Bombay mafia. I worked as a gunrunner, a smuggler and a counterfeiter. I was chained on three continents, beaten, stabbed and starved. I went to war. I ran into enemy guns. And I survived, while other men around me died. They were better men than I am, most of them: better men whose lives were crunched up in mistakes, and thrown away by the wrong second of someone else's hate, or love, or indifference. And I buried them, too many of those men, and grieved their stories and their lives into my own.

But my story doesn't begin with them, or with the mafia: it goes back to that first day in Bombay. Fate put me in the game there. Luck dealt me the cards that led me to Karla Saaranen. And I started to play it out, that hand, from the first moment I looked into her green eyes. So it begins, this story, like everything else -- with a woman, and a city, and a little bit of luck.'

ahhh...Shantaram.

Hey HockeyGal, Yes, I've been trying to solve all the world's problems from my laptop, plus while tapering.

Hey HockeyGal, Yes, I've been trying to solve all the world's problems from my laptop, plus while tapering.

Hahaha yes me too! :)