Important Survey - Please Participate ×

intense symptoms at end of taper

[ji...]

hello survivors ~~  i havent read anything about the symptoms ive been experincing, but im hoping someone has some insite.  im at the end stage of my taper now.  for the most part , ive been well for the first three years of this.  now my sysmtoms are very different and intense.  upon falling asleep, my face, hands, and torso feel like a kinda numb feeling with some kind of surge and my neck and chest feel like its shaking inside.  when i open my eyes it stops and as soon as i drift off it begins again.  i havent slept for 4 nights and unfortunatly in a panic i took a half of an old xanax last night.  any info on this would be greatly appreciated~~jill

• Like 1

[or...]

I don't know anything about being near the end, as you know already Jill, but I wanted to be here for you, and I'm sure others will know and recognize those sxs, oregonlady :hug:~~Denise ♥️♥️♥️

• Love 1

[ji...]

thank you denise~ @[or...]   these new symptoms are so bazar,  i really do need all the support i can get right now.  thank you for always being there  <3  ~~jil

• Like 1

[or...]

Those would scare me, especially since you are finally drifting off to sleep and it happens. I wonder if @[Co...] might be privy to this since he had an issue with numbness in left-side of his body?  Let's see if he's around ;) hugs, Denise :hug:PS I had the same thing happen to me, and it was a relief to meet someone here that knew what I was talking about.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

[Bu...]

Hey @[ji...],

Oh, I am so sorry for what you're dealing with.  I had something very similar near the end of my taper and for a bit after I jumped.  It caused several sleepless nights and nights with very little sleep.  It does get better with time.  Now it only happens very occasionally and it is not as intense, but I remember how awful it was at the onset.  Are you getting any sleep at all, even just a little bit?  And did the half of Xanax help with it?

Either way, hang in there, it will improve.  :hug:

[ji...]

@[Bu...]  thank you.  when you were experiencing something like this, what did it feel like for you~jill

[Bu...]

It felt like I had a combination of a kind of "pins and needles" sensation in my body with a low internal tremor and I would get a "surge" of electricity in my head that would snap me awake.  The numbness/tremor would move from my head down and my heart outward, if that makes sense.  

• Like 2

[or...]

Well, oddly enough it happened after a night of hot and cold flashes, and I had high anxiety over some work I was going to have done to my truck, as I was out camping with friends that were going to help me build a sleeper in the back.  I was obviously have major wd sxs from a .25 mg (just breaking with thumbnails) so really had no idea, neither did my Md know anything about benzos.

I woke up after some, sort of, sleep about 5 a.m. sat up to put on something and as I was dressing my side started going numb.  I can't remember what part I first noticed it, but I think it was my left arm, the whole left side like a line was drawn down my middle.  It last 3 or so days, started coming back slowly but surely, except left arm still has numbness.

[ji...]

@[Bu...]  i happy this has subsided for you now.  thank you for your reponse.   its so frightning at night when its happening.  my sleep routine was something ive looked foward to, and now im terrified at bedtime.~jill

• Like 1

[ji...]

oh wow @[or...]..     these symptoms can be so crazy.  i have such regret for taking this poison for decades without ever thinking of what it could be doing to me..   im glad the feeling in your legs has come back.  it all just makes me wonder what symtoms could be next.  health & healing to you my friend~~~jill

• Like 1

[or...]

Oh lord, even posting I'm failing at, got 2 threads mixed up, please just ignore me as I can't seem to delete "wrong posts" :(

• Like 1

[Bu...]

@[or...], @[ji...]

Many of my neurological symptoms are also on my left side:  pressure/numbness in the left side of my head, and down through my arm and left leg.  It has improved significantly since I jumped.  

I know this sounds strange, but for years while on clonazepam I would get a weird numb spot that also kind of hurt deep in the muscle on the left side of my lower left leg.  It was about four inches in diameter.  When it flared up, I would get a corresponding weirdness in my head.  The leg thing disappeared after I jumped and  hasn't come back.

Anyway, just another example of all the strange, transient things that we deal with.

@[ji...],

I know what you mean about sleep.  I read on a coping list for insomnia about learning to "fall in love" with sleep again.  I am currently working on that.

• Like 1

[or...]
2 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[or...], @[ji...]

Many of my neurological symptoms are also on my left side:  pressure/numbness in the left side of my head, and down through my arm and left leg.  It has improved significantly since I jumped.  

I know this sounds strange, but for years while on clonazepam I would get a weird numb spot that also kind of hurt deep in the muscle on the left side of my lower left leg.  It was about four inches in diameter.  When it flared up, I would get a corresponding weirdness in my head.  The leg thing disappeared after I jumped and  hasn't come back.

Anyway, just another example of all the strange, transient things that we deal with.

@[ji...],

I know what you mean about sleep.  I read on a coping list for insomnia about learning to "fall in love" with sleep again.  I am currently working on that.

Yes, my migraines, and anything weird like the numbness is always mainly left side.  Maybe looking into our brain, CNS system could tell us how that works again.  I know I've read some on it.

I regret the day I took the doctors advice that prescribed me a benzo, but then I seem to learn everything the hard way, oregonlady

• Like 1

[ji...]

@[Bu...]  congratulations on jumping.  you must feel such a sense of relief.  wishing you much continued healing~~ jill

• Like 1

[or...]
2 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

@[Bu...]  congratulations on jumping.  you must feel such a sense of relief.  wishing you much continued healing~~ jill

Ditto @[Bu...], I too believe it's possible that once we are rid of the benzo, the real healing can start.  It seems like it's a living thing, the benzo, like with a brain even.  And it's last effort is to try and convince you to take it again :(  I know I have too vivid imagination, but it just seems to be that way, especially when people do their best to taper slowly, and not jump too soon giving our bodies that time they need to start the healing, I think, even before we are totally off the benzo!

• Like 2

[ji...]

i think the vagal nerve has something to do with the left side symtoms..  im becoming my own dr. during this nightmare

• Like 2

[or...]

yes, is that the same as Vagus nerve, I remember reading something about that.  Our brains are so intricate, beyond that, they are miraculous, and were never meant to be messed with by all the things life throws at us :(  I want to add that I believe there is so much we can do to use alternatives to drugs, even too many supplements.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[or...]
Just now, [[j...] said:

@[or...]  yes..  i cant even spell correctly these days

there's a lot I can't seem to do, you know me and my numbers :2funny:  That's not that funny I guess, especially when my taper depends on me getting things as accurate as possible.  But I sure have an amazing support group, we all do, we just have to let folks know we need help.  That's the hard part, getting my pride out of the way of asking "once again" for the same help :idiot:

• Love 1

[An...]

Sorry to hear about the ramp up in SXs Jilly. You said you are at the end of your taper. How close are you to jumping? The SXs you describe are classic benzo w/d. I hate that about to drift off to sleep only to be jolted awake by those myoclonic-like whole-body jerks. Aren't these like mini seizures?

• Like 1

Hi Jill
i’ve had this symptoms you are referring to many times, almost nightly. When I lay my head down to sleep I wonder what’s gonna happen tonight. I seem to fall off to sleep OK but wake up within an hour or two with my brain in some kind of tension. I had to meditate in order to get back to sleep if possible. Quite often I lay there awake with the symptoms you talk about, pins and needle type, feeling or numbness in my lips,forearm and hands, and feet. yes, with my eyes open, it does eventually subside and I can drift back to sleep.

i’ve had many issues dealing with sleep, pounding headache in my temple, waking around 4 AM with this nauseous feeling in my head, which intern makes my belly nauseous. 

I cannot take a nap(toxic naps) soon as I doze off, I get this nauseous feeling that snaps me awake and I get those Pins and needle feelings.

i’m glad you’re very close to the end of your taper. This will soon be over. I am getting close to 1 mg now so I still have a long ways to go.

I think this is all par for the course, I know radical acceptance is not easy, but we don’t have much choice, but to bite the bullet and forge ahead.

I hope you find the rest of your journey through this as easy as possible…..Gene

• Like 2

[ji...]
Posted (edited)

@[...]  hello gene~  i hope you are doing as well as possible through this.  im sorry you deal with this too..  you are right, we do just have to accept that this is the way things are for now.  still, its hard. especially when new symptoms come up.  i have had awaking upon falling alseep thoughout the taper. it would usually take 3 tris before i could fall asleep.  but man, this surging feeling in my face, hands and lips is really something.  and then with last nights shaking/vibrating on the inside of my throat and chest.  its just crazy.  im going to remember tonight to just let it be and that it will pass... oh and how i too miss being able to take a nap.  its been a few years.  i too am immediatley startled awake with a rush of some kind.  heres to all of us finishing this journey and being bazzar symptom free.    ~~~jill

Edited by [ji...]