Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Please allow me to introduce myself Perry in Florida USA

[pe...]

Hello,

My name is Perry and I am not in the UK but instead in Florida.

I am asking for approval to post a question on this site asking if anyone can tell me

"Will Ativan will alleviate Xanax withdrawals."

That is my reason for registering and hopefully getting approved, so that

I may ask the forum that question.

Please approve me as this is an important question that i really need

an answer to in the next 48 hours..

Thank you for reading my intro,

Thanks in advance if you will approve me to post the above question

on your helpful site.

Perry in FL

Hello Perry, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Yes, Ativan will relieve Xanax withdrawals, because they're both benzo's.  They have different properties and come in different strengths, but if you take enough Ativan, and you're not too deep into withdrawals from the Xanax, you most likely will feel relief.  Here is a chart with the equivalencies of both drugs. http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

Can I ask why you want to know this, are you thinking of substituting the Ativan for the Xanax?  Ativan has a little bit longer half life, but if you're interested in tapering, Klonopin or Valium would be better.

Please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pam

Hello Perry and welcoming you to BB! I was on Xanax and cold turkeyed that and switched to Ativan (lorazepam). I didn't really feel better and still felt very sick from the switch for about a month or two until my body adjusted. For some reason for me, Ativan did not "cover" the Xanax withdrawals. It might have been because Ativan is only half as strong as Xanax and I was taking the same dose but it was only half as strong (which I did not know at the time). Anyways, are you looking to switch over and taper off? Please let us know how we can help.