Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi I'm here, need support.

[Ja...]

I started on Ativan three years ago after a bad alcohol episode and my family insisted that I get some help.  After about 15 min in the psych doc office I walked out with 3mg per day script for Ativan.  I rarely used it for thR first year but then had to get a jib that required a drug test so I started using it instead of smoking pot, after two months I was totally hooked, that was in about a year and a half ago.  I'm an alcoholic and know I have to get sober but this benzo addiction is awful.  I use to be able to abstain from drinking for months but now every day withdrawals have me drinking and taking Ativan.  I found the Ashton manual online and convinced my doc to switch me to Valium for three months.  I tried to fill my Ativan script for backup but pharmacist said no way since the same day I'd gotten the Valium.  I have enough of both to do a taper  Started taper today substituting half Ativan with equivalent Valium.  My aa sponsor dumped me because he doesn't agree with the Ashton method.  Jesus I hope this works.

Hello Javaninja, Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear your sponsor dumped you, I'm sure it's because he thinks you need to cold turkey the Ativan, but it's not a good idea, these drugs must be tapered.  Are you using this equivalency table for your crossover to Valium? http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm, and are you going to use one of Professor Ashtons withdrawal schedules?

One thing which is very important, you can't drink and taper because your willpower will go out the window if you do.  Also, since benzo's and alcohol work on the same receptor sites in your brain, you cannot substitute alcohol for benzo's, there's not point to tapering if you do this.

Please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pam

I'm presently starting to taper using Ashton method after three years on Ativan, 2mg a day.  I was so relieved when doc agreed to Valium substitute.  In transition period now.  Can someone help me with a reasonable schedule?  The Valium makes me very spacey in comparison, definitely can tell it lasts into the next morning so probably will need to do night time only so I can work.  I'd been havin daily withdrawal symptoms for the last year or so on Ativan so that's already getting better I think.  Starting to exercise again, may need to give up caffeine as it makes me tremble.

Nice to find some understanding finally.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BenzoBuddies, Javaninja72. 

I'm glad you have a doctor who was willing to cross you over to Valium.  Where are you in your transition now?  I think if I were doing it, I'd substitute 5mg Valium for .5mg of Ativan every two weeks.  Since you know about the Ashton method, is it safe to assume you know about the online Ashton Manual?  It has some schedules for Ativan (lorazepam) crossovers in Chapter 2.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

[c1...]

Javaninja72,

Welcoming you to BenzoBuddies.

Beeper gave you a very informative link to the schedules.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

You will find plenty of support here.

Sigma.

Yes I'm definitely gonna use the ashton method but I don't think I can take the Valium during the day as it makes me very spacey.   I need to work out my schedule for a 2mg Ativan starting place, yesterday and day before took 1mg Ativan a 5 mg Valium before bed, groggy in am.

Hello Javaninja72 and welcoming you to BB! Glad you found us. Congrats on your crossover and getting your taper started. Let us know what questions you have and how we can continue to help.