Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

9.5 years off and in major setback.

[Oc...]

How is this possible? I am day 3 in acute wd after not having major sxs for mths. I have had some big life stressors and had to do some long haul driving but none of this is new. I did however introduce new foods in the last two mths but surely some Greek yogurt and olives can't do this? I am back to having sleepless nights and looping thoughts/ songs, terror and uncontrollable shakes, brain zaps, digestive upsets, burning mouth and limbs. I can't believe I'm back here. Oh! I did start exercising again recently, not vigorously. Is this a buildup of the probiotics from the yogurt and I'm having some form of major die off, did the long drive catch up. I get it's impossible to say exactly why this has happened but if I had some inkling it might ease some of my fears of this not sticking around for long. I'm devastated!

Edited by [Oc...]

Hello @[Oc...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I can tell you’re frustrated and I don’t blame you, it’s ridiculous that we can end back in this place after feeling good with no idea what happened.  I know you’re suffering but believe this will be short-lived, most setbacks are.  Of course, I don’t know how short it will be but I’m confident you’re not back at square one.

I believe everything you’ve mentioned could be contributing to your present situation, well, maybe not so much the yogurt but the stress and exercise could.  What about supplements, or new medications, have you used or tried any lately?

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this, I know how discouraging it can be but I believe you’ll start seeing improvement soon. 

Thank you for the prompt reply, Pamster. Yes, I'm frustrated, scared and angry. Particularly because I let my guard down and should have known better. To answer your question, no, no supplements, no medications, nothing other than the yogurt and olives. My father took ill suddenly, and I had to drive some 26 hours to be with him. I have no doubt the stress and jostling of my cns impacted but this feels like a reaction. Which I sadly had many in my 9.5 years in wd. I pray you're right and this is short lived. Please please let it be so. 

This has happened to quite a few of us. I had a major setback at 8 years off. For me I believe it was stress, alcohol, and being run down that triggered it. My advice is to avoid or manage stress as much as possible. We can remain sensitive to stress for a very long time. 
Hang in there, the symptoms will fade again. I’ve been off for 16 years and I think the stuff I have left is from my pre existing anxiety disorder, which I’m taking therapy for. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Recurrence of symptoms after successful withdrawal   It is not unusual to experience recurrence of apparent benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms years after a successful withdrawal and a return to normal health. The particular pattern of symptoms is unique to the individual, depending on his physical and psychological makeup, and no doubt on the innate density of his/her benzodiazepine receptors and the balance of his endozepines (see above). The experience of benzodiazepine withdrawal is deeply etched into the mind and memory of those who have been through it, and is actually physically present in the strength and connections of their neural synapses, as all memories are. These recurrent symptoms are all signs of GABA underactivity with its accompanying increased output of excitatory neurotransmitters, resulting in a hyperactive, hypersensitive central nervous system. The mechanism is exactly the same as that of benzodiazepine withdrawal, which is why the symptoms are the same.   In nearly every case of apparent recurrence, the precipitating cause for the return of symptoms turns out, on close inspection, to be an increase in environmental stress. The trigger may be a new stress or worry which may be unrecognised so that the return of symptoms seems to occur out of the blue. Contributing factors can be an infection, surgery, dental problems, work problems, fatigue, bereavement, family problems, loss of sleep, adverse reaction to a drug, change of environment - almost anything. It may also be that with increasing age and long-term worries, the brain simply gets less efficient at coping with stress. In addition, there may still be some lingering old disturbing worries/thoughts/memories that have been buried in the unconscious mind but are resurfacing now because the brain has not been able to deal with them adequately in the past. For those who have experienced a traumatic benzodiazepine withdrawal, an element of post-traumatic-stress disorder (PTSD) may be involved. This is a recurrent condition that can be triggered by small reminders of the past trauma. It is as if any new stress pushes the individual over the limits of his stress-coping abilities. As discussed above, some people who have been on long-term benzodiazepine treatment have a lowered tolerance to stress, even after they have stopped taking the drug, and are therefore more vulnerable to new or recurrent stresses.   It is not clear why many people report experiencing adverse effects from new drugs or drugs they have tolerated before taking benzodiazepines. The drugs involved are so disparate - from skin ointments to eye drops to local anaesthetics to antidepressants, steroids and many others - that it is difficult to attribute these reactions to metabolic effects, allergies or other known effects. Presumably the general hypersensitivity of the nervous system magnifies the reaction to any foreign substances, but no clear explanation has yet emerged. An exception is quinolone antibiotics which displace benzodiazepines from their binding sites and should not be taken by patients on, or recently on, benzodiazepines.

- Professor heather ashton. 1999

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know how you feel Ocean girl, I am 11 years out, I had probably 4 or 5 setbacks, do to stressful situations.

I just had cataract surgery, had to take steroids eyedrops, the surgery was successful, I went into very bad wave.

probably from the steroids eye drops, going through a lot sxs , from muscle pain, nerve pain, joint pain,

burning spine, weak legs and shaking its sucks, eventually it will go away, just have to rest, avoid stressful. 

situations, and exercise, you will get better. Hang in there. PH

• Like 1

Pedro and Ph178, thank you for replying. I’m sorry to hear you’ve both experienced setbacks and Ph178, that you’re currently in one. I’ve heard Steroid induced setbacks are brutal. Hugs! 
I have had some major stress in my life and definitely overextended myself I just didn’t expect to have such a dramatic fall especially at how far off i am.  So I appreciate you normalising this crazy bizarre illness. 
And thank you bwhitters for the reminder that anything in wd is possible. We live in the upside down. 

• Like 1