Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Scared Xanax abuser DR wanted me to stop and just take Klonopin. NEED ADVICE!

Hey everyone! I am in a real delimma and need some feedback:

I have been taking Xanax, 1mg 5-6 times daily. The primary care physician I have been going to most of my life prescribed them to me. She started prescribing me 1 a day until it got up to 3 a day. Well, 3 led to 5-6 a day without the doctors knowledge. I now know I have a BIG problem.

I decided to switch doctors because I usually have to wait 4 hours (no joke) to see her. I wasn't honest with her but decideded to be honest with this new doctor. I told him everything. That I had been buying them from a friend of a friend and that I NEED them. He pretty much told me what I was doing was illegal (yeah, I know) and I could lose my health care license (yes, I know that too) if I ever got caught. He then proceeded to tell me to stop taking them altogether and prescribed me Klonopin, 2mg twice daily. I told him (I know, a doctor right) that you shouldn't just abruptly stop taking Xanaxes and that I'm scared. He said I know your scared and just nodded. Didn't seem concerned at all. I cried in the office, cried on my way home, and cried after I got home.

He told me he wanted to see me back in 3 weeks and to bring the bottle of Klonopin with me so he could count them. He also told me to see no other doctor but him. Now, I'm feeling disgusted. This was just yesterday. I don't want to go back to him but could he do anything to me? Ban me from doctors prescribing me Xanaxes altogether.

I am a LPN and the stressors at my job are tremendous. I can actually focus BETTER when I take my Xanaxes...and I'm only taking just one in the morning and 1/2 during my lunch break. When I came home from the the pharmacist I took the Klonopin as prescribed. It helped me sleep but when I woke up I had a tremendous head ache, my body was trembling and I felt out of sorts. Very Panicky. I immediately took my Xanax just soso I could function at work.

I do see a psyciatrist tomorrow for the first time and am extremely nervous. I don't want to stop taking my Xanaxes cold turky. This scares me. SHould I tell him I have been taking more than prescribned or will he do as the other doctor did and tell me to stop taking them altogether? I am at a loss and am panicking about panicking. I'm scared and no one understands what I'm going through. Sorry for  the MS but my computer is running veryslow. I amd typing out a sentence before it it is registering. THNX in advance to all who reply.

well it will be better to take k, because it has a longer half life than xanax and you won't have to worry about interdose withdrawl....my problems started w/ temazapan which has a short half life as well... i know others say the crossover should be gradual...my doctor put me on an equivalent dose of k  and i dropped the temazapan immediately... didn't have any problems with that  make sure you

are taking the same equivalent dose you were taking with the xanax...

Hi Teardrop! I was switched directly to Klonopin from Xanax as well. I was still having the shakes, nausea, revved up but so tired as well, and discovered that I was withdrawing from the Xanax. It took me about 2 weeks to get over the Xanax withdrawals and I took the Klonopin faithfully, then Zoloft was added. It was not the psychiatrist that told me this but one of the RN's--she told me on the sly and not to tell the Psych. that she had talked to me. Hope you can get past the wd's and I wish you all the best! T2

I went directly from high-dose Xanax to high-dose Klonopin once without a transition. Plenty of w/d, but it did subside quickly, like a week or two. You've got a pretty big cut in there too though (Xanax and Klonopin are equal mg for mg.)

Thanks for responding. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. I had just never heard of completely switching one benzo to another....or maybe I have but I am just nervous about replacing something I am so addicted to. I have decided that I will take 1 or 2 xanaxes while at work just to feel "normal" and take only the Klonopin at night. I did this today and am suffering already. What's the deal? I feel out of it but jittery and my head is pounding despite taking Tylenol and Klonopin. I also feel very, very depressed. It's taking everything I've got not to reach for my X. I will only take it in the morning though. I guess I will just have to wait and see what the psychiatrist says tomorrow. UGHHH!!! I hate Xanaxes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff:

Given the fact that Xanax creates anxiety, it would nice to know a doctor would totally understand why you ended up taking more.  It doesn't sound like you did this to get high, just an attempt to feel as normal as possible is my guess.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  Such a hard call but if it were me, I would try being honest and have the Ashton Manual in hand. Freaking benzos!!!!

I switched from 4mg of X to 4mg of K and didn't have any side effects I guess everyones different but do what you feel is best if you need to cross over slowly, you do have three weeks before you go back

I have been taking Xanax, 1mg 5-6 times daily. The primary care physician I have been going to most of my life prescribed them to me. She started prescribing me 1 a day until it got up to 3 a day. Well, 3 led to 5-6 a day without the doctors knowledge. I now know I have a BIG problem.

I decided to switch doctors because I usually have to wait 4 hours (no joke) to see her. I wasn't honest with her but decideded to be honest with this new doctor. I told him everything. That I had been buying them from a friend of a friend and that I NEED them. He pretty much told me what I was doing was illegal (yeah, I know) and I could lose my health care license (yes, I know that too) if I ever got caught. He then proceeded to tell me to stop taking them altogether and prescribed me Klonopin, 2mg twice daily. I told him (I know, a doctor right) that you shouldn't just abruptly stop taking Xanaxes and that I'm scared. He said I know your scared and just nodded. Didn't seem concerned at all. I cried in the office, cried on my way home, and cried after I got home.

He told me he wanted to see me back in 3 weeks and to bring the bottle of Klonopin with me so he could count them. He also told me to see no other doctor but him. Now, I'm feeling disgusted. This was just yesterday. I don't want to go back to him but could he do anything to me? Ban me from doctors prescribing me Xanaxes altogether.

I am a LPN and the stressors at my job are tremendous. I can actually focus BETTER when I take my Xanaxes...and I'm only taking just one in the morning and 1/2 during my lunch break. When I came home from the the pharmacist I took the Klonopin as prescribed. It helped me sleep but when I woke up I had a tremendous head ache, my body was trembling and I felt out of sorts. Very Panicky. I immediately took my Xanax just soso I could function at work.

I do see a psyciatrist tomorrow for the first time and am extremely nervous. I don't want to stop taking my Xanaxes cold turky. This scares me. SHould I tell him I have been taking more than prescribned or will he do as the other doctor did and tell me to stop taking them altogether? I am at a loss and am panicking about panicking. I'm scared and no one understands what I'm going through. Sorry for  the MS but my computer is running veryslow. I amd typing out a sentence before it it is registering. THNX in advance to all who reply.

If I were you, I'd try to get your doctor to agree to slowly cross you over to valium and do a slow taper. I came off a high dose of xanax once before and although it was a very rough ride especially the acute stage, it was still a walk in the park compared to coming off 1.25 mg Klonopin!!! Klonopin is by far the greater evil when it comes to benzos. All benzos are bad but Klonopin is Satan.

If I were you, I'd try to get your doctor to agree to slowly cross you over to valium and do a slow taper. I came off a high dose of xanax once before and although it was a very rough ride especially the acute stage, it was still a walk in the park compared to coming off 1.25 mg Klonopin!!! Klonopin is by far the greater evil when it comes to benzos. All benzos are bad but Klonopin is Satan.

Keep in mind what works for one might not work for the other. I came off K just fine

Keep in mind what works for one might not work for the other. I came off K just fine

I agree each individual is different, but you hear way more horror stories of people coming off Klonopin than you do valium, a much longer half life benzo and apparently less harsh.

Hey friend--

I was an LPN too--got into the benzos when demented clients refused and charted that they had been taken; after a bit the clients went into W/D despite the overload of opiates they'd been prescribed, and a pattern emerged, and I got nailed. I get entirely how benzos helped you focus. First time I did Xanax, I had this thought: This is how it must feel to be normal. (Was about 16 at the time.)

I did not have a problem being switched to KLonopin. Had my concerns, of course, but the Klon came in under the Xanax, and somehow, the two evened out. Doc had noticed that I liked my .5/tid Xanax a bit too much, and had tried herself to taper me, rest her old Greek soul, but reinstated when I reported heightened anxiety (rebound I know now) and eye twitches. A resident later did the switch to Klon.

I hope there is some overlap there for you. But I'm just sayin'. Ya Know?

Peace and love to you. Hope that the doc understands that your ability to do your job may suffer if there is a pharmacetical disconnect going on. Maybe you could swing a few days off after those regularly scheduled?

jd

Dear Teardrop,

I say that if you can switch over to the K from the X without having headache (I couldnt take K because it gave me massive headaches) then do it. Its got a longer half life so you wont take it as often as you have the X and that also makes it easier to taper down from. Make sure you check out the "ashton manual" so yo can get the correct equivalent dosage. Dont take more than needed, your doc might not know the correct equivalent dose.

But be warned Klonopin is just as addictive as Xanax and in my opinion doesnt have the same kind of "high".

How many does he want you to take per day?

Oh wow, so Klonopin is harder to come off of? I just went to my psychiatrist today for the first time and I love him. He totally understands what I'm going through and wasn't judgmental at all. I finally feel that there is hope out there after all.  I told him EVERYTHING, even about what the other doctor stated. He prescribed me Xanax twice daily (1mg) which is way less than what my system is used to. Then, he told me to take 1mg of Klonopin every night. I asked him if I could take 2mg just because the Klonopin isn't strong enough for me (still want the X so bad). He said to take 2mg of K for one week, then 1mg of K. I was fine with this. I do want to get off of Xanax. I didn't realize it but it's ruining my life. I am starting to "feel" just a little again and it hurts emotionally and physically. I am jittery, my mind is racing. I mean RACING...I feel like I'm on speed! Yes, I took a Klonopin about an hour ago and my mind is still racing. My hands are shaking, my head is pounding, and I feel nauseous. I hate K but if it helps me get of X I'm okay. I am aware they are both Benzodiazepams but they feel VERY DIFFERENT to me. It's as if X not only calmed me, but gave me a euphoric state of mind.

I jump at every word someone is saying. Ringing in my ears. Mind is racing too, too fast. I hate this feeling but it's suppose to be "normal". What is normal? Ha ha.

Dear Teardrop,

I say that if you can switch over to the K from the X without having headache (I couldnt take K because it gave me massive headaches) then do it. Its got a longer half life so you wont take it as often as you have the X and that also makes it easier to taper down from. Make sure you check out the "ashton manual" so yo can get the correct equivalent dosage. Dont take more than needed, your doc might not know the correct equivalent dose.

But be warned Klonopin is just as addictive as Xanax and in my opinion doesnt have the same kind of "high".

How many does he want you to take per day?

YES, I am experiencing the major headaches! My psych said it was X withdraws though. I will check out the Ashton manual, thanks :) The primary care wanted me to take K, 2mg twice daily and stop X completely. The psychiatrist totally understood me much better and ordered X, 1mg twice daily and K, 2mg at night for one week and then just 1mg of K at night along with  the X.  Oh, and he also prescribed me Prestique, I am currently taking Celexa, 60mg.

I took K when I was in my teens only as needed and never got addicted to it. I actually never liked it as I don't like it now. It's good that it is helping me get over my X withdraws.

Hey friend--

I was an LPN too--got into the benzos when demented clients refused and charted that they had been taken; after a bit the clients went into W/D despite the overload of opiates they'd been prescribed, and a pattern emerged, and I got nailed. I get entirely how benzos helped you focus. First time I did Xanax, I had this thought: This is how it must feel to be normal. (Was about 16 at the time.)

I did not have a problem being switched to KLonopin. Had my concerns, of course, but the Klon came in under the Xanax, and somehow, the two evened out. Doc had noticed that I liked my .5/tid Xanax a bit too much, and had tried herself to taper me, rest her old Greek soul, but reinstated when I reported heightened anxiety (rebound I know now) and eye twitches. A resident later did the switch to Klon.

I hope there is some overlap there for you. But I'm just sayin'. Ya Know?

Peace and love to you. Hope that the doc understands that your ability to do your job may suffer if there is a pharmacetical disconnect going on. Maybe you could swing a few days off after those regularly scheduled?

jd

Thank you so much for that post. That is exactly how I feel on Xanax, just "normal". Okay, if I took a few extra one day I would feel better than normal  :D but I now know that I must stop. It sucks so bad. I wished I was never prescribed X. It's so evil! I hate that you (lost your license?) over this horrible drug. Doctors should not prescribe this so freely or at least decrease the duration to a month or something. I didn't mean to get dependent on it, as I'm sure a lot of others didn't. It just happened. Best of luck to you and thank you for your kind words.

Im glad you found a good psych! I just wish that someone else who knows more about this than I do would interject here and help you a bit more. Youre going to have some withdrawral symptoms so stay with us here.

This has me curious :-\I was prescribed(legal pill popper-Dr. :tickedoff:) Xanax(1.5 at night and a pinch if I started to have a panic attack). Took it for 3 years--no probs. THEN, it turned on me :pokey: Was immediately switched to Klonopin 1 mg. twice per day, plus Zoloft 100 mg. per day. I had withdrawals from Xanax even while on Klonopin for at least two weeks. Have been tapering Klonopin since June 1st. Am now on .25 twice per day. My question is, I wonder if down the road after I'm off the Klonopin, for three months or whenever the withdrawals return, if I will be having withdrawals from Xanax, as well as the Klonopin :o That's an awful thing to contemplate :(