Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

I beat it! No symptoms for a month

[Ha...]

Was really looking forward to the day I could make this post. I took Xanax for 20 years, 1mg a day everyday for the final 2 years. Tolerance withdrawal made me realize it was time to quit. I did a 3-4 month taper in 1/8 pill increments. Dec 8th 2023 was my last dose. 

I got along well the first two weeks, but the week of Christmas break was pretty brutal. It was about 10 days in a row. Symptoms sucked. Bad. It was hard for to function. A few things in hindsight I learned:

1) Get up and do something. The more you sit there and dwell (and read this site), the worse it is. Anything to take your mind off it even if briefly.

2) as soon as I didn’t drink coffee one morning I noticed a very notable positive difference that day. One of my worst symptoms was a racing brain and trouble sitting still, I was genuinely suffering and it was all in my brain. I didn’t drink another cup of coffee for over 2 weeks and the difference was night and day. I still had supreme at first but way less severe. 

By the end of first week of January I had no symptoms. I was Leary of posting this too early, but I’m confident I beat it. 

It was so much harder than anything I’ve done before. And that’s saying a lot. My brain essentially had to rewire itself. That is a very “unpleasant” thing. I cannot thank the folks in here enough for the kind, encouraging words. Some of you have me hope, when there was literally NOONE else I could talk to. We’re not alone, a ton of people are going through the exact same struggles. If I can do it, I know each one of you can too. Good luck to all and thank you again, this site is a blessing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 1

Thank you for your post. I’m now 23 months in including a 10 Month taper. Have been bed ridden for 90 percent of the time. Been riding wave after wave with hardly no windows. Waves are getting less intense now week by week for the last month or so. I was on 200-300 mg daily of diazapam for around 6 years. Started my taper March 2022 and jumped December 2022. I am confident that I will make a full recovery as a lot of people on this form have suggested. It’s just a case of how long will it take? I have a very supportive girlfriend who has helped me through this whole order. This will by far be the hardest task I will have completed in my life and I know i will feel super human once I’m on the other side. Success stories on benzo buddies are the reason I have been so hopeful and have kept on going with a very positive altitude. This site is really a godsend for all of us who were poisoned by this. I personally didn’t get duped by a doctor as I chose to take these pills initially though a pharmacist I knew. I then used private to prescribe these pills for me. One thing I will say is that no doctor actually warned me of the long term side effects of these pills and I had no idea what diazapam was doing to my brain until I stated to taper of them. I know I was on such a huge dose and have yet to come across anyone in this forum who was on a similar dose. Can anyone comment how was also taking very high doses on their experience with recovery. I have only posted on here once before. I hope to post a full story once I have healed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Thank you for your post. I’m now 23 months in including a 10 Month taper. Have been bed ridden for 90 percent of the time. Been riding wave after wave with hardly no windows. Waves are getting less intense now week by week for the last month or so. I was on 200-300 mg daily of diazapam for around 6 years. Started my taper March 2022 and jumped December 2022. I am confident that I will make a full recovery as a lot of people on this form have suggested. It’s just a case of how long will it take? I have a very supportive girlfriend who has helped me through this whole order. This will by far be the hardest task I will have completed in my life and I know i will feel super human once I’m on the other side. Success stories on benzo buddies are the reason I have been so hopeful and have kept on going with a very positive altitude. This site is really a godsend for all of us who were poisoned by this. I personally didn’t get duped by a doctor as I chose to take these pills initially though a pharmacist I knew. I then used private to prescribe these pills for me. One thing I will say is that no doctor actually warned me of the long term side effects of these pills and I had no idea what diazapam was doing to my brain until I stated to taper of them. I know I was on such a huge dose and have yet to come across anyone in this forum who was on a similar dose. Can anyone comment how was also taking very high doses on their experience with recovery. I have only posted on here once before. I hope to post a full story once I have healed. 

Stay strong man. Get up and get outside. Make yourself no matter how badly you don’t want to. Lethargy was a huge symptom of mine, just doing routine daily activities was a nightmare for awhile (my experience was much shorter). You took such a high dose your body is struggling that much more than most of us. This is a marathon for you but I’m willing to bet you’re turning the corner right now. And if not, it’s soon. Stay positive. This will be the best thing you’ve done for yourself long term, and it will change your perspective on life- for the better. I wish you the best possible outcome. 

On 30/01/2024 at 09:19, [[M...] said:

How are you doing ? 

1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

How are you doing ? 

Ive gotten myself down to 2mg of Valium or less and I have de-realization and borderline hallucinations. This morning was God awful I can't imagine having had taken that much for that long. Please update how your doing! Praying for you 

Edited by [Ty...]
Spelling

On 29/01/2024 at 23:42, [[H...] said:

Was really looking forward to the day I could make this post. I took Xanax for 20 years, 1mg a day everyday for the final 2 years. Tolerance withdrawal made me realize it was time to quit. I did a 3-4 month taper in 1/8 pill increments. Dec 8th 2023 was my last dose. 

I got along well the first two weeks, but the week of Christmas break was pretty brutal. It was about 10 days in a row. Symptoms sucked. Bad. It was hard for to function. A few things in hindsight I learned:

1) Get up and do something. The more you sit there and dwell (and read this site), the worse it is. Anything to take your mind off it even if briefly.

2) as soon as I didn’t drink coffee one morning I noticed a very notable positive difference that day. One of my worst symptoms was a racing brain and trouble sitting still, I was genuinely suffering and it was all in my brain. I didn’t drink another cup of coffee for over 2 weeks and the difference was night and day. I still had supreme at first but way less severe. 

By the end of first week of January I had no symptoms. I was Leary of posting this too early, but I’m confident I beat it. 

It was so much harder than anything I’ve done before. And that’s saying a lot. My brain essentially had to rewire itself. That is a very “unpleasant” thing. I cannot thank the folks in here enough for the kind, encouraging words. Some of you have me hope, when there was literally NOONE else I could talk to. We’re not alone, a ton of people are going through the exact same struggles. If I can do it, I know each one of you can too. Good luck to all and thank you again, this site is a blessing. 

Can I ask your age? What did your symptoms feel like? Muscle aches and motor function?

I am in the same camp. I am on 1mg of Alprazalam .5 twice a day. I am now experiencing interdose withdrawal. 
is there anything to relieve the symptoms?

I started cutting out the caffeine today.

would spreading my doses out to .25 four times a day help?

Any help is so appreciated !!!

• Like 1

You're doing amazing. I took clonazepam for four months total (daily for of those starting at .5 mg and getting up to .875 mg), had to taper 19.5 months (couldn't go any faster), and I still have three ugly symptoms left to beat at nine months out, but healing is happening. I'm thankful you didn't have to go through the worst of it. It's so wild to me how differently these things affect us.

• Like 1