Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Introduction from a Benzo Addict

[te...]

Hello everyone! I'm really glad I found this site. It seems to have some useful information.

I a 29yr old female and am currently taking 5-6, 1mg Xanax a day. (No kids but want them one day). I am trying to get off of them and am scared to death. I have been taking them for about 2 years. YEs, doctor prescribes 3 daily but somehow 3 turned into 5-6. I have severe anxiety which is why I was prescribed them in the first place. I am looking for support and success stories on this forum. My first psychiatrist appt is tomorrow and I'm nervous. Thanks everyone and am looking forward to being a part of this board.

Hi teardrop:

Welcome to Benzo Buddies.  Your situation is not an uncommon one.  The important thing is that you have decided to come off your Xanax.  You will find lots of information and support here.

best,

Draftsman

Hi teardrop,

Sounds like you and I are in about the same situation. I also have been taking xanax for approx 2 years and was prescribed up to 5mg a day at one point and then dropped back to 4mg. I found myself updosing getting up to the 8mg mark. I have decided that the time has come to stop this drug.

I have dropped my dose back to 4mg per day without too much difficulty, I do have interdose w/d and those are tough to deal with it seems like forever until you can get your next dose.

Earlier this year I had tapered down to .125mg per day and then stress hit and in no time I was right back up to the 4mg and then before long it was 5,6,7,8 just whatever it took. Then I realized that the drug was my problem, it was causing my stress, anxiety etc. so the only thing you can do is taper off and stop.

You will find a lot of information on here and a lot of wonderful people who share our pain. What worked for me so far is to KNOW that I must stop and I have made the decision to stop as I know it is a problem. If you are at 5-6mg per day I might try taking .25mg cut right away for a week and then try taking another .25mg cut the next week that would cut you back .50mg. If you feel like you can stand it, my body was ok with cutting from 6mg to 4mg.

I have been holding at this 4mg mark and debating when my next cut will be. I am going to shoot for this weekend cutting .25mg which will leave me at 3.75mg and if I do ok I will continue the .25mg reduction every week or 2 until I get back down to the point of saying I am almost done, don't look back just keep cutting even when you have to cut the .25mg in half it is a pain but I have found it is possible.

Best Regards

Jerell

Welcome Teardrop...

I am happy you decided to come off of this drug...

This is not always a pleasant ride but you learn a lot about who you are what you really want out of life.

We here to support you and one day when you are free and recovered, you can come back here and tell us the story and inspire someone to get off of these meds...

Lu

Hi teardrop,

It's possible that the drug isn't working for you anymore so it's not really touching your anxiety. I'm glad you decided to come off, you'll find lots of great support here.

If you want to taper off, you may want to asl your Dr. tomorrow if he/she will prescribe a longer acting benzo like valium since xanax has a short half life and it's easier to taper from a longer acting benzo. Of course this is up to you and your doctor, I just thought I'd say something in case you wanted that option. Whatever you choose, we're here to support you.

Welcome :) 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. It really means a lot to me! I'm only on step 1 (per my psychiatrist) Xanax, twice daily and Klonopin, 2mg every night. Of course I am experiencing major withdraws. I knew it wouldn't be easy which is why I joined this forum. I'm going to beat this and help others out there beat this! Thanks!!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. It really means a lot to me! I'm only on step 1 (per my psychiatrist) Xanax, twice daily and Klonopin, 2mg every night. Of course I am experiencing major withdraws. I knew it wouldn't be easy which is why I joined this forum. I'm going to beat this and help others out there beat this! Thanks!!!  :thumbsup:

This kind of attitude will get you through! We'll be here  :thumbsup:

Teardrop,

Just curious, what are the additional steps your DR has suggested you follow?

I am still straight tapering from xanax, very difficult but I am giving it my all.

Perhaps your DR has a more comfortable method but sounds like it is a little rough for you right now.

Teardrop,

Just curious, what are the additional steps your DR has suggested you follow?

I am still straight tapering from xanax, very difficult but I am giving it my all.

Perhaps your DR has a more comfortable method but sounds like it is a little rough for you right now.

Yes, it has been rough, esp since first posting on this board! I feel as though I have a constant hangover and feel physically sick as well as emotionally. This is the first day in a few days that I haven't cried. Feeling a little better but I did take my 2nd Xanax not too long ago. Tylenol or ibuprofen does not touch my headaches. Does anyone have any "natural" remedies that may help the headaches? 

My doctor has changed me from Celexa to Prestiq as well. He also suggested that I see a counselor and exercise 3 days a week.

Hi teardrop,

It's possible that the drug isn't working for you anymore so it's not really touching your anxiety. I'm glad you decided to come off, you'll find lots of great support here.

If you want to taper off, you may want to asl your Dr. tomorrow if he/she will prescribe a longer acting benzo like valium since xanax has a short half life and it's easier to taper from a longer acting benzo. Of course this is up to you and your doctor, I just thought I'd say something in case you wanted that option. Whatever you choose, we're here to support you.

Welcome :)   

Thank you so much for this post! For some reason, when you stated that it may not be working for me anymore ... that right there ... is giving me a new prospective and even more hope! Thanks for that post. It was a breath of fresh air!

Welcome Tear You can beat this I was on klonopin and xanax at the same time I am 16 days off and I know I still have a ways to go I can tell I am healing it may be just a little each time I notice it but I am happy to get what I can let's cheer each other along. You have some of the best People on here to help You even when I though I was looseing it they were here to help. It is nice to meet You. See You later.

Steve