Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Moving Forward

[Li...]

I'm 15 months off benzos after 22 years of use. I was first put on xanax in 2000 for sleep and work stress. I've had a few issues that took years before I realized it was benzo dependency. I started my taper in Early 2020 and tapered down from 2 mg to 1 mg daily. I held for about a year before switching over to valum per the Ashton manual to finish my taper, something I wish I didn't do because it was supposed to keep from having interdose withdrawals but it didn't. After switching I paused my taper to have a hip replacement surgery. Once I was off the opiates from the surgery for 2 weeks I started my valum taper. I was kind of forced to, my gp lost her license to prescribe them. I had a full bottle and 1 refill that I was able to fill and I tapered from there. It was early April 2022 when I began. It was a hellish ride with several major setbacks. One setback was that my hip wasn't doing as well as expected and I had to have an MRI and other test done without the aid of an effective benzo dose. Then my sister-in-law fell over dead and I had to take care of everything for my disabled brother. the day after her funeral came my biggest and worse setback. I had a corticosteroid shot in my hip and it revved me up! I had so many things wrong that I thought I wouldn't survive! That went on for months and finally had gotten tolerable around May of 2023. I finished my taper October 14th 2022. I've continued improving with some setbacks here and there but all in all I'm getting there. I don't know if or when I'll be able to say I'm healed because after so many years of use I'm not sure what's benzo related and what's anxiety. I was waiting to write this after I got past the next big hurdle and I did that this past week. I flew in a plane for the first time in 3 years. Not only that I went to Disney World with my family and braved the chaotic crowds. On top of all that I had a bad cold the whole time. I was a little anxious about my return flight because of the weather situation and I felt like I had a little food borne illness but I made it back and didn't have any major issues at all. I have my days where I  feel like I'm back in withdrawal, sometimes triggered by food or meds and sometimes for no reason at all but it doesn't last for very long. My brain has some healing to do, I'm not as sharp as I should be but I'll continue working on myself and make improvements as time goes on. For the most part I stayed away from forums like this because it just put me in a bad place to read all the negative withdrawal stories. On days I felt ok I'd try to contribute though. I found strength not only from my Maker but from Philosophy, mostly the Stoic philosophers. I chose to have as good an attitude about my condition as I could. It wasn't easy but necessary. I had to accept that I had no control, that there was no need to fight this by swimming against the current but to ride it out by rolling with the flow. I hope that everyone that's suffering from this can not only find healing but find the tools they need to suffer less during their healing. My heart goes out to all that are suffering from this poison, we didn't have any idea the first time we took it that it was a trainwreck about to happen. 

Edited by [Li...]
missing info
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

My heart goes out to all that are suffering from this poison, we didn't have any idea the first time we took it that it was a trainwreck about to happen. 

TY such a positive and inspiring post!  Though I can't imagine myself at the place that you are, I am soooooo happy for you!!  Congratulations....I love this post!

• Like 2

On 21/1/2024 at 22:51, [[L...] said:

Llevo 15 meses sin benzos después de 22 años de uso. Me recetaron xanax por primera vez en el año 2000 para dormir y para el estrés laboral. Tuve algunos problemas que tardaron años antes de darme cuenta de que era dependencia del benzo. Comencé mi reducción gradual a principios de 2020 y la reduje de 2 mg a 1 mg al día. Lo mantuve durante aproximadamente un año antes de cambiar a Valum según el manual de Ashton para terminar mi reducción, algo que desearía no haber hecho porque se suponía que evitaría los retiros entre dosis, pero no fue así. Después del cambio, detuve mi reducción gradual para someterme a una cirugía de reemplazo de cadera. Una vez que dejé los opiáceos de la cirugía durante 2 semanas, comencé mi reducción gradual de Valum. Me vi obligado a hacerlo, mi médico de cabecera perdió su licencia para prescribirlos. Tenía una botella llena y 1 recarga que pude llenar y a partir de ahí fui disminuyendo. Era a principios de abril de 2022 cuando comencé. Fue un viaje infernal con varios reveses importantes. Un contratiempo fue que mi cadera no estaba tan bien como esperaba y tuve que hacerme una resonancia magnética y otras pruebas sin la ayuda de una dosis efectiva de benzo. Luego mi cuñada cayó muerta y tuve que encargarme de todo por mi hermano discapacitado. El día después de su funeral llegó mi mayor y peor revés. ¡Me pusieron una inyección de corticosteroides en la cadera y eso me aceleró! ¡Tenía tantas cosas mal que pensé que no sobreviviría! Eso continuó durante meses y finalmente se volvió tolerable alrededor de mayo de 2023. Terminé mi reducción gradual el 14 de octubre de 2022. Continué mejorando con algunos contratiempos aquí y allá, pero en general estoy llegando a ese punto. No sé si podré decir que estoy curado o cuándo, porque después de tantos años de uso no estoy seguro de qué está relacionado con el benzo y qué es la ansiedad. Estaba esperando escribir esto después de superar el siguiente gran obstáculo y lo hice la semana pasada. Volé en avión por primera vez en 3 años. No solo fui a Disney World con mi familia y desafié a las multitudes caóticas. Además de todo eso, estuve muy resfriado todo el tiempo. Estaba un poco ansioso por mi vuelo de regreso debido a la situación climática y sentí que tenía una pequeña enfermedad transmitida por alimentos, pero logré regresar y no tuve ningún problema importante. Tengo días en los que siento que vuelvo a sentir abstinencia, a veces provocada por la comida o los medicamentos y otras sin ningún motivo, pero no dura mucho. Mi cerebro tiene que curarse, no estoy tan listo como debería, pero continuaré trabajando en mí mismo y mejoraré a medida que pase el tiempo. En su mayor parte, me mantuve alejado de foros como este porque me ponía en un mal lugar leer todas las historias negativas de abstinencia. Sin embargo, los días en los que me sentía bien intentaba contribuir. Encontré fuerza no sólo en mi Hacedor sino también en la Filosofía, principalmente en los filósofos estoicos. Elegí tener la mejor actitud posible sobre mi condición. No fue fácil pero sí necesario. Tuve que aceptar que no tenía control, que no había necesidad de luchar contra esto nadando contra la corriente sino aguantando la corriente. Espero que todos los que sufren esto no sólo puedan encontrar la curación, sino también las herramientas que necesitan para sufrir menos durante su curación. Mi corazón está con todos los que están sufriendo por este veneno, no teníamos idea la primera vez que lo tomamos de que estaba a punto de ocurrir un choque de trenes. 

What a great last sentence, you describe it perfectly.I am very glad that little by little your suffering is coming to an end.

On 21/01/2024 at 22:51, [[L...] said:

I held for about a year before switching over to valum per the Ashton manual to finish my taper, something I wish I didn't do because it was supposed to keep from having interdose withdrawals but it didn't. 

Congrats for your achievement.

Did you substitute enough diazepam for the alprozalam you were taking?

Congratulations on making it off and all the healing you've had. These posts give so much hope to other buddies. Thank you for writing it!