Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Can I expect my brain injury to be permanent at this point? 8 years off and seem pretty stably unstable.

[...]

I don't come here so often anymore. I guess I'm trying to be less obsessed with symptoms. But nothing has returned to normal. I'm assuming this is a permanent brain injury at this point?

Thanks for responding, Nathan.

I don't see drastic changes anymore, but my gut feeling is there is still slight improvement. I'm probably not as bad as I was last year, two years ago. But don't remember last year, so can't know. What about you?

Thank you, Nathan.

Scooby - pretty much everything the same, just lower. Depression, anxiety, fatigue, muscle tension, depersonalization/unreality, difficulty sleeping, digestive problems, vision problems, cognitive issues including being impatient/irritable, unable to read for long or focus, difficulty processing and retaining information, brain fog, morningmares (ie nightmares right before waking up) and terror when waking up. Symptoms go up when I didn't sleep well. Some days are tolerable these days. And distraction works now, most of the time. It used to be getting through time was hell. Now if my environment is predictable and stable and if I slept enough, I can get by.

I noticed if i don't sleep enough my symptoms get worse as well. Getting 8-9hrs of sleep every night is very important. I am 11 years off and still have neurological symptoms. To answer your question can the neurological injury be permanent?.. we are both many years off, it may or may not resolve completely. I hope there is complete resolution.

• Sad 1

I can relate to everything on this thread.  5 years off on 12/31.

5 - very long and challenging - years.

I had quite a bit of time off recently (holidays, etc) and I felt pretty good.

I returned back to work and the neuro/head stuff has returned, in full force (which results in my anxiety revving up pretty good). I got up this morning (felt great) and within an hour of getting to work (not stressed but, now having to think, problem solve, etc) and everything went downhill quick.  I have recognized the pattern.  If my brain has to think, figure things out (and I have to be social) - immediately I am more forgetful, memory starts to act up (not complete forgetfulness but needing a pause before I speak), my brain feels fatigued, not working quickly, critical thinking becomes tricky, speech seems to be slower.  It's been pretty significant this week.  I keep telling my self "it's a wave, it'll pass" (and everything always has "passed") but, while I'm in this wave  --- I cant help but wonder ... is this permanent?  I know we just don't know but, this whole thing is craziness.  I cannot believe that this is happening to us.  

I just needed to get on here and vent for a minute. I still have 5 hours of work and just needed someone to know how lousy I feel. Its exhausting. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 09/01/2024 at 04:12, [[S...] said:

I noticed if i don't sleep enough my symptoms get worse as well. Getting 8-9hrs of sleep every night is very important. I am 11 years off and still have neurological symptoms. To answer your question can the neurological injury be permanent?.. we are both many years off, it may or may not resolve completely. I hope there is complete resolution.

Scooby, how long have you been able to sleep 8 to 9 hours a night?

On 11/02/2024 at 14:56, [[P...] said:

Scooby, how long have you been able to sleep 8 to 9 hours a night?

it varies between 6-8 hrs. I feel better at 8-9hrs. Sleep is very important in this recovery.