Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Setbacks and symptom ramp-up

[fe...]

Hi all, it's been years since I've posted, mostly because I finally experienced nearly two years of unparalleled freedom from withdrawal syndrome until now. In that time, I managed to taper off of my one remaining buffer medication: amitriptyline. I felt great for 6 months after the final dose, and then slowly, very subtly, new neurological symptoms started appearing.

They were mild so I paid no attention to it and kept living my life with some intensity: ate what I wanted, lived how I wanted, played out doors. No care at all for triggers.

The symptoms started getting slightly worse over the course of the last 6 months until my worst ones (physical, gastro-intestinal ones) returned and hit me so hard that I begged to be released from this earth. I'm currently in the thick of it and have been scouring the Internet for possible reasons I could be this chronically ill.  One reason, of course, could be benzo withdrawal syndrome.

My question to you all is: have any of you experienced this kind of slow ramp-up on the way to a full-blown setback before? I feel like this is nearly as bad as my acute wave right after I finished my taper.

• Sad 2

Yes happened to be got worse every year with my muscle tension. Its strange. What symptoms do you have besides gastro symptoms?

• Sad 1

Thanks @[Sc...], sorry to hear you were in the same boat. My gastric ones are the worst (lost 10lbs in the past two months to them but have stabilized). But the others are numerous:

Incredible body aches

Lymph pain

Burning skin

Uncontrollable muscle twitching/spasms

Bizarre dreams

Obsessing about dying

Panic (mostly about health)

You gastro symptoms are stomach pain?. These drugs are strange something happens after one is off them the nervous system causes so many neurological symptoms. Its torture.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m back on the forum after 5,years of absence. Took the last Benzo 7 years ago with super rapid taper. I experienced horrible withdrawals during the first year of abstinence but I started to feel better during the second year. I was prescribed Benzos for 12 years. My symptoms started creeping in two months ago after I pulled a muscle on my back. I took Ibuprofen, Diclophenac and put menthol on my back and felt worse. I went to a hospital see king help and they gave me a heavy dose of ibuprofen and Flexeril which is mucked relaxer. The next I woke up in full withdrawals and it has been getting worse ever since. I have all of the symptoms feathercap listed plus more. My burning nerve pains are unbearable, the worst right in my back where I have my injury. I’m bed ridden and very anxious and depressed. I have heart palpitations and I’m sleep deprived. I’m writing this because I feel so hopeless. 

37 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

I’m back on the forum after 5,years of absence. Took the last Benzo 7 years ago with super rapid taper. I experienced horrible withdrawals during the first year of abstinence but I started to feel better during the second year. I was prescribed Benzos for 12 years. My symptoms started creeping in two months ago after I pulled a muscle on my back. I took Ibuprofen, Diclophenac and put menthol on my back and felt worse. I went to a hospital see king help and they gave me a heavy dose of ibuprofen and Flexeril which is mucked relaxer. The next I woke up in full withdrawals and it has been getting worse ever since. I have all of the symptoms feathercap listed plus more. My burning nerve pains are unbearable, the worst right in my back where I have my injury. I’m bed ridden and very anxious and depressed. I have heart palpitations and I’m sleep deprived. I’m writing this because I feel so hopeless. 

The heart palpitations are awfull, never had them so intense before. 

I truly believe setbacks are caused by supplements, medicines and x-rays/radiation etc.

1st setback (4 1/2 months) Jumped back into life too soon with previous window

2nd setback (3 months) nose cream antibiotic, meloxicam and xrays

3rd setback (7 months) - trigger 5HTP & Vitamin D

4th setback (11 months) - trigger thyroid med (Naturethroid)

5th setback (18 months)  - trigger antibiotic nose cream, Vitamin D (had stupidly restarted) and fluoride treatment...when I'm in between setbacks, I don't fear anything is going to give me a setback

6th setback (current so far 11 months) - EKG & intense personal, emotional situations

I no longer take any of the above and completely stay away from fluoride in my drinking water.

6 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Flexeril is technically a tricyclic antidepressant. I just learned this and am really angry they push it as a muscle relaxer. You have to really research everything these days. It could be the Flexeril that triggered you. So sorry you are suffering. I truly hope it’s short lived. If you healed once, you can heal again. Please don’t give up hope. 

14 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Flexeril is technically a tricyclic antidepressant. I just learned this and am really angry they push it as a muscle relaxer. You have to really research everything these days. It could be the Flexeril that triggered you. So sorry you are suffering. I truly hope it’s short lived. If you healed once, you can heal again. Please don’t give up hope. 

Yes, I completely forgotten to stay away from muscle relaxers.