Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Car dealership?

[Go...]

10 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Are you trying to buy a car Gonzo?

No I can’t drive like this.  I was just trying to get out of the house and  the idea of someday buying a car sent me into severe panic.  I can’t even plan for the future when I try. 10.5 months.

Believe it or not, It's not car dealership fear, but just fear in general.  I had the exact same thing.  My wife and I went to buy a car in the fall of 2016.  I had to leave the dealership and go for a walk as I felt "trapped" and almost went into a full-blown panic attack.  Don't make any big plans or purchases while in WD, at least not on your own.  It does get better, but on it's own timeline, not the one you want it to happen in.

• Like 3

On 15/12/2023 at 09:47, [[G...] said:

Really???  Extreme fear at the car dealership.  Benzo “withdrawal” is a mental illness that doesn’t get better!! 

Hi Gonzo,

My mental issues, at 71, after 35 years taking Clonazepam, have gotten better.  I am thinking so much more clearly, and my "social" or business anxiety is so much better.  I'm sure our histories are different, but I now have experienced healing just 8-9 months into taper. 

I can't say some situations wouldn't send me into panic mode, like maybe, high-pressured salesmen, or just the thought of spending a lot of money, or running up another monthly bill like buying a car on credit for example.  But I believe we "can" heal, to what extent I can't say, or how fast for each individual.  I think when I have felt most desperate, seems it came right before the next window.  Don't quit before the miracle, I heard that years and years ago and never forgot it. :hug:sending hope and encouragement, oregonlady

• Like 2

2 hours ago, [[G...] said:

The problem is I need to buy a car in the near future????

I purchased a brand new car over the internet when I was still working for my mother as a Christmas present one year. All we had to do was go in, fill out some paperwork, write a check, and drive the car home. There was no price haggling or hard selling involved. I did pay cash for this car tho. I realize most Americans would have to finance a purchase like this but I am a good saver.

Gonzo, are you thinking about buying a new or used vehicle? Who do you live with? Do you have family and friends?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Hi Gonzo,

My mental issues, at 71, after 35 years taking Clonazepam, have gotten better.  I am thinking so much more clearly, and my "social" or business anxiety is so much better.  I'm sure our histories are different, but I now have experienced healing just 8-9 months into taper. 

I can't say some situations wouldn't send me into panic mode, like maybe, high-pressured salesmen, or just the thought of spending a lot of money, or running up another monthly bill like buying a car on credit for example.  But I believe we "can" heal, to what extent I can't say, or how fast for each individual.  I think when I have felt most desperate, seems it came right before the next window.  Don't quit before the miracle, I heard that years and years ago and never forgot it. :hug:sending hope and encouragement, oregonlady

Thank you for this post @[or...]. You give me renewed hope. At 72, and two decades of xanax, I had tapered from 8mg to 2mg of xanax in the last 4 years and was doing okay. However, an unbelievable series of traumatic loss, grief, and expense finally overwhelmed me last week - I had a nervous breakdown. I could not function at all. Unable to eat, wash, read, do anything. Too mortified to call anyone. But scared because I live alone - totally now.  My beloved old cat died exactly two months ago.

But in the middle of this waking nightmare, I was surprised by a call from a compassionate new therapist with encouraging prospects. And now your encouraging post here! I'm trying to hold that vision of making it to a bright new window...I'm not going to quit before the miracle!

Edrek

PS: @[Go...] Sorry to hijack your thread, Gonzo! To get back on topic, the thought of my buying a car at this time seems unnerving to me, too. I can't even work up the courage to take my car in for annual maintenance, though I'm constantly worried about the importance of that. I totally agree with @[Th...] that it's fear in general pervading all these situations, and that a person should not force themselves to think about major decisions or purchases during W/D. If we just have to, I agree it's a very good idea to take somebody we trust to advise us and do the negotiations.

Personally, I've learned not to try to "toughen myself up" for some actual transaction that I'll have to make in the future by visiting the site. It often has just the opposite effect on me! In W/D, that early "test run" often just makes me imagine and dread the future scenario more vividly!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi @[Ed...],

I live alone as well, and is very hard to reach out for help.  This is an excellent, and I feel, a safe place because there's always someone around that understands.  I'm so glad you are here with us.  I have insomnia a lot of nights and usually just get up and either read or get on here.

It's very nice to meet you, Oregonlady :hug:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [[E...] said:

Thank you for this post @[or...]. You give me renewed hope. At 72, and two decades of xanax, I had tapered from 8mg to 2mg of xanax in the last 4 years and was doing okay. However, an unbelievable series of traumatic loss, grief, and expense finally overwhelmed me last week - I had a nervous breakdown. I could not function at all. Unable to eat, wash, read, do anything. Too mortified to call anyone. But scared because I live alone - totally now.  My beloved old cat died exactly two months ago.

But in the middle of this waking nightmare, I was surprised by a call from a compassionate new therapist with encouraging prospects. And now your encouraging post here! I'm trying to hold that vision of making it to a bright new window...I'm not going to quit before the miracle!

Edrek

PS: @[Go...] Sorry to hijack your thread, Gonzo! To get back on topic, the thought of my buying a car at this time seems unnerving to me, too. I can't even work up the courage to take my car in for annual maintenance, though I'm constantly worried about the importance of that. I totally agree with @[Th...] that it's fear in general pervading all these situations, and that a person should not force themselves to think about major decisions or purchases during W/D. If we just have to, I agree it's a very good idea to take somebody we trust to advise us and do the negotiations.

Personally, I've learned not to try to "toughen myself up" for some actual transaction that I'll have to make in the future by visiting the site. It often has just the opposite effect on me! In W/D, that early "test run" often just makes me imagine and dread the future scenario more vividly!

@[Ed...] I am glad you posted what you did.  A lot of similar life events seem to have happened to you and me. Thank you for sharing what you did. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, [[E...] said:

Edrek

Thanks for sharing this @[Ed...]

• Like 1