Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help! #2

[mo...]

I successfully managed a year without benzodiazepines, but in May 2023, I experienced a resurgence of symptoms following alcohol consumption. After approximately two months of recovery, I regained a sense of well-being. I resumed work and studies, and avoided alcohol.

Two weeks ago, I experienced a panic/anxiety attack, and since then, my condition has been deteriorating day by day. I constantly feel overwhelmed, my anxiety levels are high, and I'm on the verge of a panic attack. Even simple things like the doorbell ringing cause a spike in my heart rate, blood pressure, and result in stomach spasms, leaving me paralyzed. The idea of reaching out to a medical professional is daunting; I can't handle phone calls, and leaving my house is a challenge due to the rapid onset of panic or anxiety attacks. I'm unsure of the root cause, but I've never felt this mentally distressed before. Seeking help is crucial, but even that feels like an impossible task. I've confided in a friend and my dad, explaining my situation, but we are at a loss on what to do. While I already have generalized anxiety disorder, it seems like I might be developing a phobia, further complicating my ability to leave my house and visit my doctor in person... Can it still be the meds I got off from?

I have access to benzos, Pregabalin, and Quetiapine, but I haven't taken any medication in a long time. While I consider using Quetiapine, it has occasionally caused my heart to race and palpitations, especially given my existing palpitation base. Considering this, I'm hesitant to choose Quetiapine. I'm contemplating using benzos again just to be able to go to the hospital and explain my situation to a doctor in person, seeking the help I urgently need. What would you recommend in my situation? I'm genuinely in need of assistance.

Thanks for reading

Hello @[mo...] and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. It will help us help you if you could answer a few questions:

Can you tell us more about your use of benzos in the past?  

How long had you been on them (which benzo(s)?) and how did you get off of them?  Did you taper.  

Had you ever taken benzo prior to the last time?  

Are you on any other meds right now?

Did anything out of the ordinary happen prior to two weeks ago when you started having rough symptoms?

Sorry to throw so many questions at you but again it will help others to understand more about what is going on with you.

We're glad you found us,

Brighterday

@[Br...]

Sure! Three years ago, I began using Clonazepam (2-3mg) for sleep for about three months. I decided to stop abruptly, experiencing typical withdrawal symptoms such as panic attacks, anxiety, and rapid heartbeat. Following a hospitalization due to severe withdrawal, I was prescribed diazepam, which provided partial relief. Months later, lorazepam (3x0.5mg) replaced diazepam. Then I transitioned to sustained-release Alprazolam (December of 2021), successfully tapering from 2mg to 0.5mg in 8 months. I went to a hospital to be monitored before I got to 0, but they replaced 0.5mg. of Alprazolam to 1mg. of Clonazepam. The hospital tapered me off Clonazepam in 1-2 months, leading to my complete recovery. Throughout this journey, Carbamazepine and Quetiapine were administered to alleviate potential withdrawal symptoms. After successfully discontinuing all benzodiazepines, I tapered Carbamazepine and Quetiapine to zero. That was a year ago.

In May, I had a few beers and experienced anxiety and discomfort until late July. I resumed work in August and started studying in September, feeling fine. However, I developed constipation in early September, leading to an IBS diagnosis.

In the last three weeks, I've had a puzzling experience. The first week brought unwarranted disturbing thoughts, followed by a few unexpected panic attacks in the second week. In the past week, I've been facing multiple panic and anxiety attacks daily. This is a new and random development for me, as nothing out of the ordinary occurred recently. I'm med free for a year since overcoming benzos, and I can't pinpoint any specific reason for this sudden decline in my well-being.

Edited by [mo...]

I think It could be still the result from the meds, corticosteroids, some antibiótics, álcohol and stress for some could trigger setbacks, imo you could try a diffrent aproach to adress neuroinflammation, pioglitazone, low doses of nimodipine (cant speak of It), edaravone, maybe bromantane helps a bit in conjuntion, clemastine furamate for neuroinflammation at sleep time could also be of help i guess, these are more options, like intransal insulin, you find information online If you search, mdpi.com hás a good article about it

Edited by [De...]

Hi @[mo...],

Welcome to the community.  I am so sorry your going through all this, but this is a great place to be when faced with these difficult decisions.  You've been through a lot and getting off all those meds is a huge accomplishment!  I was just wondering if you've considered trying talk therapy or CBT?  I've found both of those to be extremely helpful in dealing with the issues that got me on clonazepam to begin with.  Many therapist are very accommodating when it come to virtual appointments, if leaving your home right now seems overwhelming.  Maybe talking to a counselor might help you to figure out what's causing the uptick in symptoms.

• Like 1

Hi everyone. Moril I'm having much the same issues.. I was tapering 4a month then my doc c/t me she though 10days would do it. My BP went thro the roof had a day in hospital being fed BP meds the hospital staff keep telling me just sit down but I was shaking jerking all over the place and talking rubbish my hair looked as tho i had been thro a gale force wind like you I have a big distrust of hospitals and I  don't want to go to appointments. Had a cat scan and I couldn't keep still.i was treated like a two year old I was scared I fell twice in the hospital no one came to help me up except a fellow patient and he brought me a cup of tea is it normal to feel exhaustion . I don't like being alone yet it's never bothered me before.......I feel safer around people but yet when I'm home I just give up and go to bed I need the comfort...I was scared going to the hospital two days on the trot. But surprisingly once I was out I didn't want to come home I am nearly 70 very dangerous what my doc did.. I think of her as a female Harold Shipman a gp that killed his elderly patients.. i wish everyone on here peace🕊️ and healing and nature and our bodies want the best for us it the nasty chemical drugs that our brain and body are healing that's what I think when I'm in a bad wave bless sry for long thread

Hello @[mo...],

Goodness. As I read about your journey and saw that one benzodiazepine replaced another, and another, with other meds added in, I was increasingly disturbed because I could imagine your brain activity, being pressed to adjust to all the changes. Each one has its own part in what is tweaked, whether GABA, serotonin or any other. The number of complex, delicately balanced dances your brain performs have taken quite a battering. Your year off and your recovery was great to read, and a relief.

My guess is that no one will know precisely what is going on right now in your brain. Something is definitely way off, but what?

I think the first thing you'd generally hear in the forum is to protect your brain and avoid anything that will violate it. I'd stay miles away from benzos because they are some of the most profoundly powerful meds. They may help for a while but with your history, you'll probably pay a price and I don't want you to.

I'd try talk therapy first, too.  The therapy will move your forward and, if this is your brain demanding more healing time, it will give your brain that, too. Time. It's the best healer for brain and CNS stress/damage.

If you absolutely must have a calming med, consider indica CBD (NOT sativa) or low-dose gabapentin, which is often used for anxiety. I'm no medical professional, so my advice is just friend-to-friend. You clearly have a good support system and are greatly loved. You have a life worth preserving and one that is full of good things. If you need to stay home and heal again, talk therapy will allow you to do that. You're young and your body will strain to heal, in a good, energized way!

I've noticed that it can be easy for me to dismiss signs that I'm under stress until I'm really in the soup. I'm learning how to see that more quickly. It may be that you, too, have taken on a lot, feeling that you were fine and yet missing certain small signs. Just something to think about!

Will be praying for you!

Warmly,

HCHC

• Like 1

You do what is best for you, but IMO I would NOT go back on Benzos...ever!  All they do is mask symptoms and then you risk another WD.  Good luck!

• Like 1