Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone been prescribed anti-psychotics

[le...]

I have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts. Tried 5 different anti depressants which all made things a lot worse. Just after over 3 years with little improvement thinking may need something  but running out options. The psych keeps mentioning low dose anti psychotics but scared of taking them. Having CBD but doing nothing and she pushes me to do stuff nit ready fir yet. So any advice of what else I could try be grateful.

I've been taking Abilify (Aripiprazole) 10 mg for 4 years.  It has helped some in reducing anxiety.  Only side effect I've experienced is a little weight gain.  A typical psych med, it needs to be tapered when no longer needed.

Maybe you could consider the older tricyclic antidepressants before trying antipsychotics. Antipsychotics can potentially be more damaging than benzos.

1 hour ago, [[o...] said:

Maybe you could consider the older tricyclic antidepressants before trying antipsychotics. Antipsychotics can potentially be more damaging than benzos

3 years off Zopiclone with no improvement. I can understand your frustration. Waiting on more time is probably not going to bring you the relief you seek.

This does seem more like your underlying disorder is causing your SXs.

I also would start to consider and explore other options (drug or non-drug) if I were you. Obviously, a non drug solution would be better if you could find one.

You said you have tried 5 different SSRIs. Name some of the ones you have tried. Did you try them all for at least 6 weeks before throwing in the towel?

15 hours ago, [[l...] said:

I have severe anxiety with intrusive thoughts.

Before or after withdrawal? Because if it's after then I'd have to disagree with @[An...] regarding underlying "disorders".

Edited by [ou...]
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, [[l...] said:

Tried 5 different anti depressants which all made things a lot worse. 

Just a thought , can this be the reason for your delayed recovery? 

I took 4 different drugs( Clonazepam, temazepam, amitriptyline and Mirtazapine) for about 4.5 months( not together), CT’d all of them .I am 11 months out , some progress but still suffering day and night. 

Have you tried ashwagandha ksm-66? It helps with anxiety for some people.

Edited by [Sl...]

Meds I tried were citalopram, sertraline and seroxat for about 8 months,, then recently anytryptine which made things worse, Currently been on mirtzapine but just making me cry all day.. I didn’t have any intrusive thoughts or anxiety before I took the meds. I did have years of emotional abuse from my mother which is probably partly to blame,  But I coped with it just tried to block her out my life most time. Having cbt but she’s pretty useless. Just don’t know want to do anymore scared about trying any other meds.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2023 at 13:48, [[R...] said:

I've been taking Abilify (Aripiprazole) 10 mg for 4 years.  It has helped some in reducing anxiety.  Only side effect I've experienced is a little weight gain.  A typical psych med, it needs to be tapered when no longer needed.

Did you get many side effects. Thinking trying this as last resort as in really way. Can’t take anti depressants as they make me lot worse. Hoping if took very small dose it would be OK. Psych gave me lorezapam but tiny dose so don’t help. Been nearly 5 years of this just need bit of relief. Having therapy but she’s useless,

57 minutes ago, [[l...] said:

Did you get many side effects. Thinking trying this as last resort as in really way. Can’t take anti depressants as they make me lot worse. Hoping if took very small dose it would be OK. Psych gave me lorezapam but tiny dose so don’t help. Been nearly 5 years of this just need bit of relief. Having therapy but she’s useless,

No, not many side effects -- just a little weight gain, from 180 to 189 lbs.  

On 13/12/2023 at 18:23, [[l...] said:

Lorazepam is Ativan - so you are taking a Benzo again? This could be why you aren’t improving. 

I was given Ativan in the ER several times for my headaches, while I was taking Valium for the headaches.  I am sure the Ativan has added to my protracted withdrawal.  I have heard that some doctors are no longer prescribing it in the ER or in the hospital as the word  is getting around about benzos in general!!!

Leann, I hope you will improve and will be feeling better when your grand baby arrives!

Happy Holidays All!

GG