Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Fear of cars

[Go...]

The fear of being in, and riding in a car is crippling.  After 10 months, I can’t do anygg to bing without terrible fear.  I think I have mental problems, not just benzo w/d. It’s too long to be this severe.

I had the same thing.  I had a fear of bringing the garbage can down my driveway to the road for pickup.  I couldn't ride in a car as I felt "trapped."  Hallmark Christmas movies were too stimulating and I couldn't watch them.  Unfortunately it's all part of the healing and recovery process.  Save yourself some pain by NOT putting a timeline on when you think or expect to feel better.  10 months off is a great start but many do not see significant relief until somewhere between month 18 and 24.  All of your "mental problems" are most likely symptoms from coming off of Benzos.  I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist with 3 or 4 mental conditions that I NEVER had prior to Benzos and ALL of them went away over time.  

Edited by [Th...]

@[Go...] I had a similar fear of cars on my taper. But only on my taper. Like @[Th...] said, all this nonsense went away over time. I was afraid of driving, of bridges, of electronics (my hair dryer), the toaster . . . I was a horrible mess. It may take awhile, but I believe you will be free of all this fear one day, too. No one can say when that day will be, alas. But have faith . . . I know it's hard, but others have suffered through this and come out the other side. It's rotten what benzos do to us, but we do become functional again. Best to you.

Yes, ALL my symptoms went away over time.  I have not had a single symptom (other than an off night of sleep every few months) for the past 5 years.

Edited by [Th...]