Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dizziness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello,

My name is Ben. I found this website and I am hoping for some help. I have been on Klonopin for about 5 years. I was taking between 1-4mg daily, but for the past year or more, I only took 1mg daily (I basically hoarded the rest so I would not have to pay each month for a prescription). I did not want to continue taking this drug because I was becoming more and more depressed and angry on it. My psychiatrist had me taper from 1mg to 0mg. She had me take .75mg for 4 days, .50mg for 4 days, .25 mg for 4 days and then off. I started on 6/6/11 and was off by 6/17/11. Today is 6/27/11 and I am still having intense dizziness (I have a newfound respect for that word now) with stress headaches. I have been popping Advil like it is candy since I started the taper but the dizziness will not go away. I can deal with all the other symptoms except for the extreme dizziness and headaches. It is horrible. BTW, I called my psychiatrist and she is out of the country. The nurse said that I should not even be having withdrawals anymore because I tapered. She told me to talk to my family doctor because what I am going through is not Klonopin withdrawal and she thinks it is something else. I KNOW she is not right, but I just want to give a background on what I am dealing with here.  My question is: Is this normal? When will it go away? Will it get worse than this? I want it to go away, but I don't want to get back on and taper again. Please!!!! I appreciate any comments you may have.  Thank you for taking the time to read this. I just want my life back. There are days where I think I will never get any better. Please Help!!!!!    Also, as embarrassing as this is, I am a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor.  embarrassed  I wish I was never prescribed this. I do think that, because of my background, I never actually took 4mg daily. But I still am going through hell!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I am a month off and I'm probably nowhere near done experiencing that dizziness. The good news is that it will come and go in waves, giving you some time to recoup and enjoy life more. You just need to be patient and be gentle with yourself right now. And you're right about the nurse, she doesn't know what she's talking about. My doctor said something very similar to me, that I shouldn't be expecting symptoms beyond 2 weeks. Hah! Just gotta hang in there

Holly

PS - it is perfectly normal, but you tapered WAYYYY too fast. Of course this wasn't your fault since you said that's what the dr told you. Honestly, if I were you, I'd find myself a new dr and try tapering again, much much much slower.

[c6...]

Ben,

It is the withdrawal from the Klonopin.

I have the dizziness as well.

I'm tapering Valium, and believe me, there is a great deal of dizziness.

Hang in there.

Ditto the others. I have intense dizziness at night. My vision also blurs, and I have to sometimes grab a hold of things to stand. It gets really bad before my dose (around 9). I don't think it will get worse, but don't quote me. It can only get so bad so that you fall down. If this happens, get up! really though- I think it is very, very common. Sorry you have to deal with this crazy symptom.

(update- it depends on how debilitating this is/becomes. If you can't live at all, then I would definitely reinstate. This is a marathon not a sprint.)

I'm not a dr., but, popping those advils are probably not helping you at all. They are not good for your stomach lining either. I think your taper was WAY too fast as well. You'll get the most accurate info on this site than from 99.9% doctors or psychiatrists--my 'humble' opinion ::) God Bless You! T2

Should I use something besides the Advil (ibuprofen) to help with my headaches? I know my taper was too fast. It has been 11 days now. I really don't want to get back on it. I figure if I have gone this far, why stop now, unless you guys think doing this will make it worse. If I take motion sickness medication, like Dramamine, would that help. I just wish I knew how long the dizziness will last. Was I on a small dosage, compared to everyone else? I am hoping my withdrawals won't last as long. Also some sites say that if you taper as quickly as I did, you won't recover. is that true? I dumped all of my clonazepam and I really hate my doctor right now. I wish I had not done this so fast. I just need to hear that I can make it, but only if it is true!!! :'(

Should I use something besides the Advil (ibuprofen) to help with my headaches? I know my taper was too fast. It has been 11 days now. I really don't want to get back on it. I figure if I have gone this far, why stop now, unless you guys think doing this will make it worse. If I take motion sickness medication, like Dramamine, would that help. I just wish I knew how long the dizziness will last. Was I on a small dosage, compared to everyone else? I am hoping my withdrawals won't last as long. Also some sites say that if you taper as quickly as I did, you won't recover. is that true? I dumped all of my clonazepam and I really hate my doctor right now. I wish I had not done this so fast. I just need to hear that I can make it, but only if it is true!!! :'(

It's not true that you simply won't recover, you have to believe that your brain can always rebuild itself from the damage of benzos... it may take a while but you will be fine eventually. I imagine they meant you won't recover as quickly? What helps me when my dizziness becomes too bad is Valerian. I take one capsule during emergencies (when I have to function but cannot because of the dizziness or other symptoms) and I'm usually able to get through the day ok. Of course everyone is different and it may not work for you, but I thought I'd offer something for you to try. I was on 1mg of klonopin, and I believe 4mgs is a high dose for most people. Don't let anything get you down, you can make it and you ARE making it!!

Holly

Also, as embarrassing as this is, I am a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor.  embarrassed  I wish I was never prescribed this. I do think that, because of my background, I never actually took 4mg daily. But I still am going through hell!!!!!!!!

That's not embarrassing at all. But it does go to show just how much of a failure the medical community is when it comes to these kinds of drugs. You obviously weren't properly educated and you can see that the doctors and nurses aren't any more clued in than you were.

The most I ever took was 1/2 of my prescribed dose because I too had heard that addiction is possible. What a joke! I didn't want to become a bug eyed pill popping junkie so I figured I would make sure I didn't take any more of the drug than I absolutely needed. What a rude awakening when I finally decided to come off the pills. I didn't experience much dizziness but my other symptoms more than made up for it. Horrible, horrible experience.

I'm a big proponent of getting off of these drugs as quickly as possible but in your case I have to wonder if it might be better for you to reinstate and try to do a slower taper. I don't agree with super long tapers (unless you are highly functional throughout) but if you can cushion the blow by stretching the taper out over the course of several months you might be better off.

Also some sites say that if you taper as quickly as I did, you won't recover. is that true?

In my OWN experience this is isn't true. My first taper was rapid, and from 2mg of klon. I did fine for over 2 1/2 years until a traumatic event led me to taking K again. I just think a rapid taper usually leads to a more intense, and protracted withdrawal. As for the headaches, I don't have any advice there:( I wonder if a neck and upper back massage might help a little? I honestly don't know:/ Hopefully someone who has had bad headaches as part of their withdrawal can chime in.

Re the last point- you will make it! It's just a game of being patiently tortutred:/ I have a friend that also has my crippling breathing problems, who is feeling much better at 3 months off klonopin (from 1.5 mg). He was feeling better at the month and a half mark. It's a very individual process, and I wouldn't  let the more extreme stories scare you too much.

The truth is that none of us can tell you that getting back on will stop the dizziness, as we have had members c/t and go through months of healing.

I was on only for two months and I still feel unsteady and been off 6 weeks.. But it comes and goes...

A slow taper may help you, but it really depends on what you can handle during this time.

The idea is to remain as functional as possible.  I'm not having a great day but I'm at work and can deal with the stress here...  That's the best you can hope for as you heal and only time heals..

Lu

Thank you all for your comments. I just called the doctor again telling them what I am going thru. They keep maintaining that the 12-day taper shouldn't cause anymore withdrawals and that I am just being oversensitive because of my profession. I hate it when these people won't believe me. They want me to take Buspar and Celexa now and, to be honest, I am scared to put any medication in my body AT ALL!

Thank you all for your comments. I just called the doctor again telling them what I am going thru. They keep maintaining that the 12-day taper shouldn't cause anymore withdrawals and that I am just being oversensitive because of my profession. I hate it when these people won't believe me. They want me to take Buspar and Celexa now and, to be honest, I am scared to put any medication in my body AT ALL!

Have you asked them if they know of the Ashton Manual? Maybe you should show it to them or direct them to the link, then see what they have to say.

We have all been there and the dizziness is a huge part of the withdrawal. I have terrible vertigo and I am 90 days out from my last dose of any drug. As one of the other members said, I am not a doctor but there really isnt any drug that will take away any of the symptoms even the headaches and Ibuprofen is extremely tough on the stomach and liver and will just cause more nausea. Your withdrawal symptoms are probably rough because of the quick taper which I did as well but if at all possible do not go back and try to taper slowly. Gut it out it will get better over time and this forum is incredible for easing the mind and getting the support you need.  :)

Thanks Firefly!!!  I guess I will just white knuckle this and hopefully things will get better :)

Is your vertigo still constant @ 90days, or are there windows?