Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

9 1/2 months

[Go...]

I’m at 9 1/2 months, and my depression yesterday and today feel as bad as ever.  Does anyone have any experience with this at this time frame?  Does it ever go away if you had depression before the benzos?  I could really use some advice right now, because I feel like this is never ending, and life will just continue to always be filled with terrible feeling and thoughts, and a normal way of living is just not going to happen.  I’ve read too many stories of people 4-5 years out still suffering badly everyday. I don’t want that but I fear I will get it. 

Edited by [Go...]

It's completely "normal" to believe that your symptoms will never end. However, if you had depression (or any other symptom) prior to Benzos then it most likely will not go away, but should reduce in severity and intensity?  Most people learn coping skills so they can deal with their anxiety or depression or whatever other lingering symptom they have after they mostly heal.

The other thing to do is stop reading the "horror" stories about others 4 or 5 or more years out and making them your story.  Everyone goes through withdrawal differently and many of those that claim they never heal have a plethora of other medical and/or psychological conditions.  Again, healing from Benzos will not heal pre-existing conditions, but it will allow you to manage them a lot better!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I chose to add a SSRI during this taper attempt and it is helping a lot IMO.

I will taper the SSRI slowly after I have recovered somewhat from the benzo detox. I know many ppl loathe the idea of taking another Rx drug after this benzo nightmare but there is no need to suffer unnecessarily if something could potentially help you a little during the recovery phase, but each person must weigh the pros and cons for themselves before deciding.

Professor Ashton said>>>

Antidepressants. Antidepressants are the most important adjuvant drugs to consider in withdrawal. 

There is a school of thought, mainly amongst ex-tranquilliser users, that is opposed to the taking of any other drugs during withdrawal. But suicides have occurred in several reported clinical trials of benzodiazepine withdrawal. If depression is severe during benzodiazepine withdrawal as in any other situation, it seems foolhardy to leave it untreated.

Antidepressants not only alleviate depression but also, after 2-3 weeks, have anti-anxiety effects. They are in fact a better long-term treatment than benzodiazepines for anxiety, panic and phobic disorders, and may in some cases actively help the benzodiazepine withdrawal process.

*👆  I am personally finding this to be true.👍

• Like 1

It will get better, believe me. We all had very dark days and nights , you just need to get over those. In case you want to take some painkiller or some other medication, make sure you check all the side effects on partner pharmacy website beforehand.  Medications can save someone's life and can be not very helpful in some cases.

Edited by [el...]
  • Like 1

I think that with time you will improve,Benzos cause depression Have you tried psychobiotics?They are probiotics With antidepressant properties.They worked for me They worked really well for me And the effect was quick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t do an Ssri whatever you do. Withdrawal from that is pure agony and why I got put on benzos to begin with. I am having same-severe depression. Do you get windows without it? 

• Like 1

On 18/11/2023 at 09:48, [[A...] said:

I chose to add a SSRI during this taper attempt and it is helping a lot IMO.

I will taper the SSRI slowly after I have recovered somewhat from the benzo detox. I know many ppl loathe the idea of taking another Rx drug after this benzo nightmare but there is no need to suffer unnecessarily if something could potentially help you a little during the recovery phase, but each person must weigh the pros and cons for themselves before deciding.

Professor Ashton said>>>

*👆  I am personally finding this to be true.👍

https://karger.com/pps/article/89/5/283/283208/Acute-and-Persistent-Withdrawal-Syndromes

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Thanks @[Ma...]. All psychotropic meds come with a risk. I carefully weighed the risks as best as I could and decided to add the SSRI temporarily after reading what Dr. Ashton had to say on the subject. It is best not to add any more meds if possible. But if things become absolutely intolerable and you feel that you can't stand it anymore, you may want to consider adding a SSRI in the hope it mitigates things a little and it did in my case and allowed me to continue my benzo taper. It is a decision that each individual must weigh carefully for themselves. I am not saying you should or should not. I am simply saying this has helped me and you may or may not want to consider this as something that might help you.