Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Why do antibiotics make some of us so ill?????

[Ga...]

Does any one have any idea why some of us get so sick when taking an antibiotic.  I have to take an antibiotic way too often for UTI’s and the one that works to clear up the infection, Ceftin, makes me feel as if I have a worst case of the flu!  My doctor said I can stop at six days off if the dipstick test is clear tomorrow.  It has already been clear for two days.

My urologist said drinking at least eight glasses of water, taking D-Mannose, and keeping the bad carbs to a minimum can help to eliminate these awful UTI’s.  Oh, and steering clear of too much sugar, if any at all!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING NEXT WEEK.

GG

• Like 1

I've been through this. I'd try the d-mannose first. It didn't clear mine up, but if the take a probiotic a couple hours before (not at the same time) you take the antibiotic, it will be easier on your stomach. I was prescribed macrobid and did this and I didn't have a setback from it.

I think one of the reasons people probably react to antibiotics is just that they're hard on the gut and the gut has a bagillion nerves in it. 

Thanks for your much appreciated response.  Unfortunately, I started on the Ceftin last Sunday after I was tested in the ER, with the results showing over 100,000 leucocytes in the urine culture; based on that result my doctor wanted to treat it immediately, as I had had a UTI a few years back that turned into a bad kidney infection and I had to be hospitalized.  I have started using the D-Mannose and will make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water each day.  No sugar either as I have learned that sugar can increase the chances of getting a UTI.

Have you ever had a bad reaction to an antibiotic?

I hope you are healing well!!!!

GG

Some antibiotics like the fluoroquinolones (eg ciproflixacin, levofloxacin, moxifkoxacin, etc.) are known to blockade GABA receptors.

If we are left with very dodgy GABAergic systems from our prior benzo use then this class of antibiotics are likely to have a more pronounced negative impact on us. They are even known to cause CNS adverse reactions in people that haven’t been damaged by benzos so our risk is likely much greater.

But many antibiotics are not known to interact with GABA or glutamate receptors so I don’t believe you can say across the board that all antibiotics cause us issues. But certainly specific ones can be a problem.

Edited by [Na...]
  • Like 4

Thank you, Nathan!  I was given Cipro in the ER for a UTI in 2019, right before I found out about Valium and my dependence on it.  After that I had several surgeries and was polydrugged.  I have great windows, but for some reason seem prone to benzo flu and female issues.  My doctor decided today that he does want to run blood work to check to see if I am having immune system dysfunction, and also to see if my EBV has reactivated, which it did two years ago.

This war is not for sissies, that’s for sure.

GG

• 2 weeks later...

Antibiotics go all over the body at the cells even the nervous system. Its no wonder people feel terrible taking them especially those of us who have nervous system injuries from psychotropic neurotoxins. Luckily i never needed antibiotics in my 10 years off.

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2023 at 09:28, [[G...] said:

Does any one have any idea why some of us get so sick when taking an antibiotic.  I have to take an antibiotic way too often for UTI’s and the one that works to clear up the infection, Ceftin, makes me feel as if I have a worst case of the flu!  My doctor said I can stop at six days off if the dipstick test is clear tomorrow.  It has already been clear for two days.

My urologist said drinking at least eight glasses of water, taking D-Mannose, and keeping the bad carbs to a minimum can help to eliminate these awful UTI’s.  Oh, and steering clear of too much sugar, if any at all!!!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING NEXT WEEK.

GG

Hi GG

How did it go after you got off the antibiotic?

On 17/11/2023 at 07:36, [[N...] said:

Some antibiotics like the fluoroquinolones (eg ciproflixacin, levofloxacin, moxifkoxacin, etc.) are known to blockade GABA receptors.

If we are left with very dodgy GABAergic systems from our prior benzo use then this class of antibiotics are likely to have a more pronounced negative impact on us. They are even known to cause CNS adverse reactions in people that haven’t been damaged by benzos so our risk is likely much greater.

But many antibiotics are not known to interact with GABA or glutamate receptors so I don’t believe you can say across the board that all antibiotics cause us issues. But certainly specific ones can be a problem.

Just want to mention to also at all costs avoid flagyl 

Unfortunately, I had to take flagyl to save my life after my colon burst after becoming constipated from taking Valium for a year.  I was within ten minutes of passing away and my doctor said the flagyl saved my life after the emergency surgery.  I don’t remember any side effects of the flagyl as I was totally out of it!

No wonder I am so protracted…..two surgeries, numerous antibiotics in the hospital and at home, and on and off Valium.  I feel lucky that I do get good windows, and, in fact, I thought I was healed enough to write my success story in May of 2022.

Healing thoughts for all!

GG

Edited by [Ga...]