Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need advice for Ativan taper

Hey guys, right now I am trying to quit benzos by tapering off of Ativan.  My regular dose is 2mg a day and 2 days ago I cut it down to 1 mg.  I had been taking the 2mg a day for about 6 weeks.  if I wanted to do the best withdrawal possible, should I base it on an hourly basis?  Like how many hours should it be in between doses?  I took my last 1mg Ativan at about 1 am last night but I am craving a lot and wondering if I should take it earlier today or how much it matters on an hourly basis.  I have not been able to sleep at all since I cut down the dosage to 1mg..so I have been up for 2 days but I am hoping I can ride it out and it will get better soon.

Hi.  my hubby was put on Ativan/Lorazepam (same) 3/2010.  Please listen.  Do "not" decrease like you did.  You need to go on thread for "taper" - stay on the dose you were originally on, get a schedule to do it correctly.  If you don't, you will create nothing but worse problems for yourself with tolerance wds.  Unfortunately, my husband had to do dry cuts to taper... it can be done... but the darn pills are so difficult and you don't get exact doses.  Tritrating is the most accurate way to do this.  You can get all the infor on the taper schedule both ways.  Please don't do it wrong.  You are under 4 months in taking this, the sooner the better if getting off, but it is truly important to do it correctly.  My hubby is almost 5.5 months off after being on it 10.5 and doing a  very slow dry cut taper over 6 months.  Just do it right, consult with the taper thread to get a schedule... this will help minimize the tolerance wds (which you have experienced from reducing incorrectly) as well as the protracted wds after getting off.  Speak with the tapering thread... they will guide you.  My best to you, Pattlu

Hey, thanks for the info.  I posted my story on the tapering thread and I am hoping to get some replies soon.  I do not feel that bad and if I could just get some sleep I would feel great.  But sleep seems like it is far away at this point as I am having trouble relaxing with just the 1mg dose.  I am hoping to get a good tapering schedule asap and hoping to feel better soon.