Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sleep getting worse

[Ma...]

I haven’t slept well throughout my taper but it seems to be gradually getting worse.  It is THE ONLY WD symptom I have but it’s a bad one and makes me feel awful every morning.  By evening I’m usually ok.  I feel like this is never going to get better until I’m off this medicine but not sure if it’s better to go faster or slower.  I’ve gone at a relatively fast clip, going from 1.0 of K to .4 in about 4 months (about 7.5% every 10-14 days).  I don’t think a long pause is going to help but just feel lost as to how to proceed.  I think I was in mild tolerance when I started this as I was having some sleepless nights a few months before I started tapering. 

I lost sleep through my ativan taper also and now that I'm off, I don't sleep at all. It's been 10 days with one night of 2 hours sleep. And that's because I took a "rescue" dose the other night... bad idea. Insomnia is my only symptom too. Don't feel alone, I'm there with you. I don't think you should go slower. I'm sorry you're struggling with this. I know how bad it is. I am sleepless every night and trying to keep my job has been too hard.

• Like 1

I know, I shouldn’t complain about 4-5 hours I guess.  I just wonder if I’d gone slower it would have been less severe.  I don’t think so.  I’m supposed to go overseas for 6 weeks starting in mid December which is making it all the more stressful.  😑

Insomnia was my worst symptom too.  I did a CT and did not taper so I don't have any experience there, but Ashton recommends not cutting more than 5% every 2 weeks?  There is an entire section on tapering on this site so you can check there.  Unfortunately if insomnia is your primary symptom, there isn't much that is going to help and you are correct in saying that it most likely will not get better (sleep) until you are completely off and then it takes quite some time for sleep to even out for most.  Ashton says 6-12 months for most, but some take less time and many take more.  That doesn't mean your sleep is terrible the entire time and then it suddenly gets better.  It's a very gradual process sort of like how the seasons change.  It's very up and down and nonlinear for most.  But eventually you get more and better sleep consistently over time.  When I started getting 4-5 hours most nights I wrote a success story.  Good luck!

• Like 1