Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Head pressure

[jo...]

I’ve had this since my very first reaction to the antibiotic in 2020 and it has persisted through my benzo injury and subsequent withdrawal and protracted wd. 

mine seems to be exacerbated by heat or any heavy lifting or over exertion. Oftentimes it’s random. Sometimes it feels like pressure, squeezing, other times head, stabbing/knives/drilling. I also get brain waves or shudders and extreme vice like tightness Around my head, neck, shoulders and back I get the similar burning and vice like tightness. 

the soles of my feet ache too and sometimes I get hip issues and sciatica. 

lately my migraine with auras are back too!

I’m only 32 and my body feels so disabled and decrepit some days. I’ve had these symptoms now for 3.5 years. Have people healed from them? What causes them?! Is there still some chance they can get better after all this time. I am 29 months benzo free now. 18 months since an antibiotic setback. 

I hear you on the head symptoms (mine include stabbing pain in head and neck, burning on top of head, tight band around head, pressure in cheekbones, etc.), which I have had for about 43 months.  I thought my “burning brain”  symptoms had gone for good last May and I was ready to write my success story, but, sadly, not to be.  I have also had to take multiple antibiotics for different infections and this did not help at all!!!  In the past couple of months my head pain has changed considerably after a couple of nasty falls.  I also picked up a heavy container from the floor to place on a table, which also caused back and leg pain!  My recent increase in pain and burning is stemming more from my neck and a recent MRI (prescribed by my orthopedic doctor/spine doctor) has found that I have some herniated disks, dry disks, and multiple other issues with my cervical and lumbar spine.  I will see him this Thursday and find out what his plan of action is.  He says he really hopes to find something responsible for these long time headaches so he can treat me and get me out of this misery!  It seems that my sleeping position may be contributing to the early morning headaches, as they do occur as soon as I wake up.

Past treatment plans have included:  radio frequency ablation on both sides of my neck, nerve blocks, cortisone shots (probably exacerbated my symptoms), massages, acupuncture, chiropractic treatments, and heat and ice while on bed rest.

I am almost hoping that my orthopedic doctor finds that a more radical approach is needed, and that my head symptoms will be gone with the wind.  I pray the same for you!!!

GG

Edited by [Ga...]
Added more information

I also have the head pressure but it only became bad a few months ago. It’s not there all the time but when it comes it’s terrible. Feels like there is pressure from the back of my head down the back of my neck into my shoulders. Sometimes it results in weird feeling of my brain dropping. 

@[Ga...] sorry to hear you’re really going through it! Mine doesn’t happen in the morning but often at the end of the day. Especially after heat or exertion. I get chiropractic treatments and heat/ice also to manage it. But I’ve had MRI’s and the rest and nothing ever shows up. I assume it’s part of this invisible injury 

If yours is consistent like all day every single day.  Maybe differing in intensity but ALWAYS present.   Very likely could be an iron issue.  Almost everyone I know that has the ALWAYS there pressure is an iron issue if not coming in 2nd is b12 and folate. 
don’t assume because your cbc is normal that your iron is normal. Most doc will dismiss your concern. “Your cbc looks normal I don’t see a reason to…… stop them dead in their tracks and insist.  Iron panel consist of multiple things.  Serum iron , tibc, iron saturation and ferretin.   NOT JUST A SERUM IRON.  Since they are already sticking a needle in your arm could ask for a b12 and folate also.  I do see some people with b12 and 9 deficiency also complain of these issues but usually it’s iron. IF ITS NON STOP 

That prob was your issue then. It takes a long time even after your levels are ok. Think 6-12 months of CONTINUED good levels.  You have to keep high levels of iron for a long long time to make that symptom go away.  Realize your body has billions or trillions? Of cells that need saturated with iron to heal.  Iron deficiency is an injury if it’s own that takes a LONG time to heal from.  I theorize benzo wd does something to our guts to screw up our absorption 

Iron in itself is highly oxidative as well. Think of what an iron pipe will do if you leave it out in your yard.   It will rust.  Aka oxidize.  That iron that was pumped into you is still at the end of the day elemental iron.  It while necessary will oxidize as well.  It’s kinda a double edged sword.  You need the iron built up to heal but yet simply flooding your body with iron will hurt you in some ways.  This will take quite a while to sort itself out.  I feel benzos make us more sensitive maybe even mildly MCAS. So anything oxidative will or can cause bad symtoms and iron is an oxidative element.  It’s why many people are in agony taking the pills.  Monitor your levels I’d say at least every other month and keep that ferretin above 150 if you were low enough to warrant infusions.  If it dips below 150 take oral supplements but you need high but safe levels for a long drawn out time. I know we are very focused on benzo damage here but do not underestimate iron.  Go look at some boards on Facebook for iron deficiency.  I belong to “the iron protocol”. Many in there are bedbound can’t drive and can’t work or function and never took a benzo in their life all because of iron.  I think if you keep your ferretin up above 150 for a long while you will see the head symptom go away 

• 3 weeks later...

Head pressure is my worst and only symptom. This symptom destroys me, i have it 24/7 and it never stops. it has got much worse over the years than i am now housebound. Extreme tightness all over my head all muscle related. Nothing takes it away and it doesnt get better.

Edited by [Sc...]

3 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Head pressure is my worst and only symptom. This symptom destroys me, i have it 24/7 and it never stops. it has got much worse over the years than i am now housebound. Extreme tightness all over my head all muscle related. Nothing takes it away and it doesnt get better.

Did you try a muscle relaxer?

Scooby I talked to you months ago.  You just refuse to get your blood tested.  You have every single marker for iron deficiency.  Your mch and mcv were off clear indications of iron deficiency.    You just won’t do it.   You can lead a horse to water but ….  🤷‍♂️

And becksblue.  There are things that can repair nerve damage.  well at least on paper they have claims to repair nerve damage from tbi.   hgh , bpc157 , tb500 , ara290.   

I still firmly believe the largest majority of those with constant never ending head pain and pressure is an iron issue.  But for those few that are an anomaly with iron saturations in the 40s and ferretin above 100.     I’d look into ara290

(disclaimer if your iron sat is 20 and your ferretin is a 35 ara290 won’t work.  Nothing will. ..well other than iron)

when I first began my labs were worse than they are now but my labs still are not great.  hence still continued head pressure and pain.  

I had read that “sideral” from Europe was far superior to heme iron and iron bisglycinate   So I switched to it   I should have known it wasn’t working because the pain and pressure had been getting worse   Now back to a 9

the pain and pressure won’t go away for at least 6 months AFTER your labs are OPTIMAL not barely within range   Ferretin must be 100-150

iron sat 40+

9FF1A7D6-C699-44B6-9FF9-5C9FCF7191C3.thumb.png.020c255b34317be3d71125ac9a1d5b8c.png

My original labs.   dr forgot to do ferretin but as you can see iron sat of 3 percent is insanely low 

benzos screw up our intestines and how we absorb food and nutrients.  and iron is already the number 1 deficiency on the planet and make us more sensitive to changes.  I guarantee MOST by a large number of head pressure people (if it’s constant) are gonna be an iron issue.  There may be one or two outliers but guarantee most will be an iron issue 

D8CE654E-D79A-4237-B156-F9D9D7CB69B2.png

Journey / original poster in your first message you said.  “Lately my migraines with aura are back again”

you were anemic enough to warrant iron transfusions back in February.  that was quite a few months ago.  if you were that low in iron to get an infusion it’s not usually a lack of it in the diet unless you are a vegan.  It’s absorption or some kinda gi issue.  Severe acid reflux ? A heart burn medication blocking absorption? bleeding ? Ibs?     Besides getting the infusion you have to ask the question WHY was your iron so low. And what’s keeping it from dropping again ?      Obviously after your infusions the levels looked amazing.   How long has that been now ?  
I know we all wanna parrot that catch phrase “correlation isn’t causation”  I have head pain and pressure and have iron issues.   you needed Infusions so there was some kinda problem for why it was so low. Was that corrected ?

I don’t know all the answers and not gonna say this fits ALL the symptoms of bw.  But there is a STRONG link between iron and constant head pressure and pain in this wd

17 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Scooby I talked to you months ago.  You just refuse to get your blood tested.  You have every single marker for iron deficiency.  Your mch and mcv were off clear indications of iron deficiency.    You just won’t do it.   You can lead a horse to water but ….  🤷‍♂️

I got it redone recently. Still have low MCH and MCV, doc said mild anemia. I increased more meats in my diet but still head pressure.

You need a full iron panel.  Not another cbc.  Your dr. No offense is an idiot.  My dr is too.   A low mchc and mcv is a LATE indicator of iron status. You have ADVANCED iron deficiency just like me.   I was eating two rib eyes per day when mine was low.   Iron status rarely has anything to do with how much iron you eat.   It’s about absorption.   
you need a full iron panel consisting of serum iron , tibc , iron saturation and ferretin.   All 4 

I guess it depends how badly do you want this pain to end.   I’m curious what your rdw is as well or mpv

Rdw is a measure of the variances of sizes in your red blood cells 

mpv also platelets.  Both I would expect to be other than good 

I don’t mean to come across rude Scooby it’s just that I know for a fact I’m right.   And I actually genuinely feel bad for you because I have endured this for 2 years and can’t fathom the idea of 10.   Lemme say as I can. Yours most surely is an iron issue.   Your blood work SCREAMS iron deficiency. Your dr is just not a very good dr.  Can’t put it any nicer.   Mine isn’t either.  Anemia is a LATE LATE LATE stage of iron deficiency    My blood work that was on April that I screen shotted was my very first lab when I realized I was iron deficient.  I had been eating a carnivore diet and no exaggeration was eating 2 BIG rib eyes per day.   Eating more meat won’t help   You need a full iron panel and more so a deep understanding of what iron deficiency anemia means.   If you have spent 10 years in what your dr calls “mild anemia” it will likely take you a year or two of high iron levels to correct the decade of deficiency but it’s better than living with that pain forever.   

First you have to correct the problem by adding more iron.  It’s a long painful process.  Hence why my head pressure isn’t gone.  I made a mistake and switch iron brands 2 months ago. Lost approx 4 months of time by making that switch.   🤷‍♂️ oh well live and learn

so first is to replenish the iron.  And maybe even MORE importantly is you must maintain a high level for quite a long time depending upon how long you think you were deficient. 

While boosting iron by taking high dose supplements you have to figure out why you aren’t absorbing it.   Is it a medication you’re taking that blocks absorption ?   Is it a stomach issue ? Do you have a slow gi bleed    Gerd? Ibs?     As example.  I’ve figured out why MY iron dropped.   I have VERY bad acid reflux.  Have had this for years.  I had always heard taking protonix or Prilosec or those acid reflux meds were not healthy to take long term so I took rolaids.   Several of them all day long for years.  Had no idea what was happening to me.  One of the biggest iron blockers is calcium. Guess what rolaids are. Calcium carbonate.  So I was blocking any iron I took with rolaids BUT it also is a double edge sword because rolaids decreases the acid level in the stomach making that reflux not burn as bad.  Well for iron to be split apart from food it needs a HIGH acid stomach level and here I am decreasing it with calcium carbonate of all things. Also just the long term chronic inflammation in my esophagus prob also doesn’t help.   So that’s MY situation but you will have to investigate why yours is

ive been talking to another long hauler on here who also had the same issues.  Went and got tested and sure enough extremely low iron.   Her issue was she was taking curcumin cause she read it lowers inflammation.  Yeah it also blocks iron.   TONS of things block iron so you have to investigate it in-depth 

my iron is an uphill battle because I’m still fighting against the very things that caused it so it’s taking me a long time.  My acid reflux is still there I still am taking heart burn medication so it’s decreasing the acid level making it more difficult for me to absorb even the supplements I take.   It’s an uphill battle.  But it’s the root of the problem 

your situation may not be as difficult as mine 🤷‍♂️