Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Air hunger

[Ti...]

I am guessing it’s anxiety because I can’t fall asleep. At all. Docs say it’s anxiety too. I was on Ativan 3mg at night. It helped with anxiety and/or sleep. It worked until the last several months I prob needed a higher dose. I’m currently on 5 meds now for anxiety and sleep but I still don’t sleep. 

The problem with Benzos is they eventually stop working at the current dose and then your only option is to increase the dose, but eventually higher doses stop working too.  They are designed for short-term use only (2-4 weeks maximum).  That is why so many have problems coming off of them.  They don't treat, fix, or cure the underlying causes of your anxiety or insomnia but only "mask" the symptoms.  It's like putting a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light in your vehicle.  You can't see the light any longer, but the problem is still there.  I thought I was med resistant too as nothing worked for me for more than a few nights and I literally tried every known Rx drug for sleep.  Fast forward 7 years and now Unisom (Doxylamine) can knock me out if I take 50mg.  Luckily I only have to take it about once every 3 or 4 months for that one off night where I can't fall asleep.  Good  luck!

7 hours ago, [[T...] said:

I am guessing it’s anxiety because I can’t fall asleep. At all. Docs say it’s anxiety too. I was on Ativan 3mg at night. It helped with anxiety and/or sleep. It worked until the last several months I prob needed a higher dose. I’m currently on 5 meds now for anxiety and sleep but I still don’t sleep. 

What other 5 meds are you still taking?

• 3 weeks later...

8 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Could be adverse reaction due to huge cocktails. 

Hello @[Sl...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies?

'Huge Cocktails'? Do you mean the combination of medicines?

1 hour ago, [[S...] said:

@[Co...] Yes. 

Thank you.🙏 

I asked because 'huge cocktail of drugs' sounded a rather loaded phrase to me - as though abuse was involved. Not for a moment that I expect that you meant it that way. It seems that all these meds have been prescribed for @[Ti...].

Unfortunately, some doctors do pile on medicine upon medicine, without really considering that the patient's problems might be due to side effects and interactions. I have read of doctors needing to sometimes radically reduce the amount of meds of a new patient to begin to understand what's happening with them.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/polypharmacy

I am not suggesting that's what's happening here. Sometimes, multiple medications are helpful or necessary.