Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Has anyone been successful in dry cutting taper/Ativan?

[am...]

Hi all,

Have been just pouring through the posts and this site to find an answer to this question. My doctor doesn't want to add another benzo after seeing what I just went through. She probably would if she would have read as much materials as some of us on the subject. But for now, I want to find if this is possible without going through terrible hell, which I was in before reinstating. Was on it only 4 months and still went through all of that agony. Not one doctor would believe it had anything to do with benzo withdrawal as I suggested (except my own - she finally did after I reinstated and the agony decreased signficantly). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Scared to death!

Hi amb56:

Sorting through all the info here can be pretty intense at first.  Lots of people have successfully dry-cut from Ativan.  Beeper is one person who comes to mind.  The key is to cut at a reasonable rate.  For those who want to slow it down even further, titration is also an option.  I know your doctor doesn't favor crossing you over to another benzo.  There are options to help you get off your benzo.

best,

Draftsman

Hi amb56:

Sorting through all the info here can be pretty intense at first.  Lots of people have successfully dry-cut from Ativan.  Beeper is one person who comes to mind.  The key is to cut at a reasonable rate.  For those who want to slow it down even further, titration is also an option.  I know your doctor doesn't favor crossing you over to another benzo.  There are options to help you get off your benzo.

best,

Draftsman

Thanks Draftsman. I will see if I can contact Beeper. You gave me hope.  :D

Hi, amb56.

Whenever I see "Ativan" in a topic name, I stop by to see if I can help.  So here I am.  ;)  I did taper off it directly by splitting up my pills.  You can see a summary of how I reduced by looking at my signature block below.  My doctor wouldn't consider prescribing Valium and the people here tole me I could taper directly so that's what I did.  I was scared at first, too, until I had a couple of "cuts" under my belt and had figured out that I could handle the withdrawal symptoms.  Just take it slow, allow plenty of time between dose reductions, learn some new coping skills and come to BenzoBuddies for information and reassurance.  You CAN do this!  :thumbsup:

Hi, amb56.

Whenever I see "Ativan" in a topic name, I stop by to see if I can help.  So here I am.   ;)  I did taper off it directly by splitting up my pills.  You can see a summary of how I reduced by looking at my signature block below.  My doctor wouldn't consider prescribing Valium and the people here tole me I could taper directly so that's what I did.  I was scared at first, too, until I had a couple of "cuts" under my belt and had figured out that I could handle the withdrawal symptoms.  Just take it slow, allow plenty of time between dose reductions, learn some new coping skills and come to BenzoBuddies for information and reassurance.  You CAN do this!  :thumbsup:

Thanks Beeper,

It really is a relief. Thank you that you make yourself available to people like me.  Days like today I lose confidence. I know we have windows of good and bad and I'm handling bad days much better now that I know what is happening. Knowledge is power and strengthens us against fear. But I'm going to hold for a month at .75 (going on vacation) and then was going to cut another .25, but I think I won't cut that much, I think I'm only going to do 10%. I'm going to review your schedule. Did you have days where you were incapacitated? I see you were on it quite a while. 

I didn't have a lot of demands on me when I tapered (no kids or sick parents, no job) so I was able to do at least the minimum necessary every day.  I never felt the need to stay in bed though there were many days when I didn't do more than the minimum. 

Hello Amb

looks like we are both trying to kick Ativan (lorazepam) at the same time.  The tabs I had in the hospital (while I was getting my levels stablized) were .5mg flat and scored in the middle.  they look to be the most promising for cutting.  Its still going to take some practice though.