Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Recommendations for anti depressants. Maybe mirtzapine

[le...]

Am thinking trying an anti depressant as have bad anxiety, with ocd type symptoms and getting lit crying spells. Tried few SSRI’s without success but wondering about mirtzapine. The psych suggested pregabelin but side effects sound horrendous. I never really get windows, just spend some days crying all day others part of the day. Am starting therapy but think may need meds as well.

Edited by [le...]

@[le...]  What antidepressants did you try before?   One thing you have to remember about antidepressants is the first few weeks after you start can be a little rough.    Of course, everyone responds to them differently, so nobody can predict what will happen.  Have you started therapy yet?   

Tried citalopram, sertraline, seroxat and duloxetine. I know take while but tried them for 8 months. Starting therapy this week. Just really don’t know what to do, she was suggesting anti psychotics and pregabelin which seem have horrendous side effects. Just so sick of crying most days really confused which is best thing to do after 4 plus years😫

19 hours ago, [[l...] said:

Am thinking trying an anti depressant as have bad anxiety, with ocd type symptoms and getting lit crying spells. Tried few SSRI’s without success but wondering about mirtzapine. The psych suggested pregabelin but side effects sound horrendous. I never really get windows, just spend some days crying all day others part of the day. Am starting therapy but think may need meds as well.

Have you ever tried Lexapro? That is the one I am having the greatest success with and the least side effects. As @[de...] said, the 1st week or two at the start of therapy might be rough but once you get through that, the side effects generally start to wane and the therapeutic effects slowly start to manifest. Read some of the reviews on drugs.com, both the good and bad reviews. They might help you with your decision-making.

https://www.drugs.com/comments/escitalopram/lexapro-for-anxiety.html

No haven’t tried that one. Not over impressed with therapist so far said I needed blood tests and might be hormone imbalance. I’m way past menopause and had load blood tests already. Think I need to ask specifically for help with intrusive thoughts, only had couple sessions but bit disappointing so far.

There's not much you can do for intrusive or looping thoughts.  What I did was imagine that they were happening to someone else and I was an outside observer looking in.  Even though they were happening to me, it made it a bit easier to deal with.  They eventually end one day.  I never let them bother me too much as I knew they were from WD as I never had them in the past prior to Benzos.  Peace.

Not keen on taking another anti depressant, see if the therapy improves. I’ve had them fir over 3 years so might have resort to trying something if don’t improve.as can’t go on like this as , feeling really depressed every other day at moment,really restrict my life at moment.

Edited by [le...]

@[le...] So glad you have started therapy.   Try to stick with it, it takes a while to feel comfortable with the therapist as y'all are both getting to know each other.   Also, they have to do their due diligence to rule out other things.   Unfortunately, it feels like starting over, but that is why it is important to stick with it once you have started.   I always tell myself that the things I go to therapy for didn't happen overnight, and it is going to take a while to process some things.   This helps me have patience with the process.  Does your therapist have your medical files/history?

The trouble is she is still training, not really sure about her, I want advice on how to deal with the intrusive thoughts, she just keeps asking how I feel on bad days, and trying to push me onto anti depressants. Only had couple sessions, think I will have to say what advice I need, she doesn’t seem to realise this is caused by withdrawal and emotional stress. Just keeps on about having blood tests and hormones. Will give it a few more sessions. Had load blood tests already and way past the menopauseLeast not paying fir it . Yes she knows had bad experience with AD’s and all stuff with my Mum. There is long waiting list here to see people which is why I got a trainee I think.

Edited by [le...]

I use 7.5 mg Mirtazapine. It makes me sleepy after ingesting it. So I only take it at night, about an hour before sleep. The first days on it, I felt like a zombie and had some rage. After that, it helped my tension headaches that I have because of Ativan IW. I don't want to up the dose because it causes weight gain.  I thought I wouldn't be one of the people with weight gain because I never in my life had any problems with that, but I wasn't an exception to the rule. Once I can cross to diazepam I will taper the Mirtazapine as well and hopefully will have some more energy to work out. I've been always muscular, very fit person. But after two years of doing nothing...But 6 months of gym will do wonders I know.

Edited by [Hu...]