Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

I made it.

[Be...]

When i decided to gst off xanax I thought i would view it as a huge accomplishment. Afer suffering through this it feels more like surviving a war... I dont know why i made and other dont, i dont know why its harder for others than me, or why it was harder for me than others still. Im just happy to be down with it. 

Yesterday was the first day i did not take a benzo in nearly 3 years. Peak dose was 6mg of xanax a day. Was switched to 30mg daily of valium last february. 

Process: 10% or less dose reduction step downs every 7-14 days. 

Withdrawl symptoms: halucination, night time siezure activity, extreme depression, suicidal thoughts, severe panic attacks, hypersensitivity to sounds and lights, headaches, anger, sobbing, depersonalization (had no idea what this was until i felt it)

Pyschiatrist help: Highly respected physchiatrist advised me to withdrawl in less than 1 month, or take more medication. If i followed the doctors advice instead of the ashton manual, i would be taking 6 pysch meds a day right now. 

How i feel now:

I feel better than i did 8 months ago.

Things that helped:

Benzo buddies

Faith in God, my family and my dog. 

Having a schedule. Reducing the dosage at scheduled intervals was essential to this being a success for me. Dont be afraid to pause the step downs if needed, but have a plan.

Things i would have done differently:

The switch from xanax to valium was HORRIBLE. It was done cold turkey. So i would have preffered to slowly switch or just get off xanax straight without the jump to valium. I know they say valium stays in your system longer but it felt no dofferent than xanax. I could feel a missing dose within 4 hours. Was really hard to get to twice a day dosing. 

Advice:

The grass is ACTUALLY greener on this side of the fence. Start your taper ASAP.

• Like 6

Thanks you for sharing this!  I am so happy for you!  I am only about 2 months off and this gives me a lot of hope.  Can I ask, at what points you noticed significant improvements?  I know you said you're better than 8 months ago, any other milestones stand out?  I know everyone is different, but it is still helpful to hear what folks noticed and when.

• 2 weeks later...

@[Hu...] Yes, the equivalent for 6mg Xanax should have been closer to 60mg diazepam.  So of course @[Be...] had a terrible time with the switch to Valium. 

On 18/10/2023 at 22:05, [[B...] said:

The switch from xanax to valium was HORRIBLE.

2 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[Hu...] Yes, the equivalent for 6mg Xanax should have been closer to 60mg diazepam.  So of course @[Be...] had a terrible time with the switch to Valium. 

It is more like 120mg. But I doubt anyone could handle that? I've seen a schedule for 90mg diazepam equivalent.

Hi i am currently trying to look for success stories with xanax i am completely scared.. i am 3 yrs on .25 twice now 3 times a day and i feel absolutely awful....i dont know how to taper and they tried valium on me but it didnt sit well first two doses and i reinstated back to xanax