Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Many great things...

[kn...]

When I went online to visit this site this AM, I cruised around, just viewing the forums and comments, conversations that have been going on. I've only been around for about a month, so this was important for me.  Probably the greatest thing I found was the overall attitude of acceptance.  I read a few conversations about the benefits of exercise. That's great if you can do it.  Before all this (2 years ago)  I, too, could garden, hike, and ride my bike all over town.  Nowadays I walk with a cane, but I've gradually come to accept that too.  Some of you have talked about the benefits of certain vitamins, nutrients, and food in general.  Again, it's great if you can just eat at all.  Some days I have an appetite, other days, even the thought of eating sends me back to bed.  I have a great admiration for those of you who are in WD and can still work at the same time.  I read one member's post about still being able to teach.  I taught K-6 for 36 years, but I'm so glad that I'm now retired.  I really doubt if I could face a room full of my kids at this point.  And, as I said, I just really found so many great things happening here.  Acceptance for me has come to be what it's really all about.  I've had lots of shame and guilt about letting this all happen to me;  sometimes I feel like an idiot.  I trusted my providers and felt a lot of benefits from clonazepam and lorazepam at the time...Although it's way over used the only way I'm going to get anywhere at this point is by accepting the "new normal" in my life.  I'm still holding at two mgs. of diazepam.  

What a great message, @[kn...].  Acceptance is one of the most effective coping techniques.   Accepting where we are, our current limitations, and how what works for you may not be the same as what works for other - this goes a long way in helping us cope.  Similarly self-compassion is important - this includes not beating ourselves up for letting this happen to us.  Many of us will relate to you saying you trusted your providers and felt benefits from the benzos you took but that you're no paying dearly for it.  I  think your attitude is admirable and will help sustain you as you travel the road to recovery.

@[kn...]   I can hear the acceptance of "loss" in your post.    Please don't beat yourself up for trusting doctors.     I look forward to hearing more from you as you continue your withdrawal process and recovery.    Teaching for 36 years - that is amazing.   I have so much respect for teachers!!!!